Ruffy's '93 Worlds car and other vintage items

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Ruffy
Approved Member

Re: 1993 Worlds Car

Post by Ruffy »

This isn't an Associated car, but while I raced for AE/Reedy, I also used to work as a Design Engineer and Cad/Cam CNC programmer for Composite Craft and helped Joel Johnson and Jim Dieter design and develop their Evolution 10 car and other cars with Joel's name on it. I used to spend countless hours with Joel and Jim working in CAD together, and as a token of their appreciation once the process was done and production started, they sent me this car with their signatures carved into it which has never been run.
Not sure about the date of this cars release by Trinity, but it was right when then car was announced for sale.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Here is a picture my wife took of Brian's '93 Worlds car just before he went into one of the 3 A-Mains I believe. She was unable to remember which exactly, only that she liked his color scheme and wanted a picture which Brian obliged. Thanks Brian!

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Ruffy wrote:This isn't an Associated car, but while I raced for AE/Reedy, I also used to work as a Design Engineer and Cad/Cam CNC programmer for Composite Craft and helped Joel Johnson and Jim Dieter design and develop their Evolution 10 car and other cars with Joel's name on it. I used to spend countless hours with Joel and Jim working in CAD together, and as a token of their appreciation once the process was done and production started, they sent me this car with their signatures carved into it which has never been run.
Not sure about the date of this cars release by Trinity, but it was right when then car was announced for sale.
Just proves that no matter what, Poveretti is so cheap he wouldn't let them give you wheels and tires!

I like the Evo series- Did you work on the CAD for the Revolver 12 as well?

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

I believe I did, the revolver sounds familiar along with "switchblade" or something like that. Hard to remember, as it was a long time ago.

Regarding the Signature car, they sent it to me with the wheels/tires and extra sets too (I don't think Ernie had any interaction with this), but I just took them off and threw them out since they had flat spots on them. I still got one of the sets they sent still new in the boxes.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Sorry, couldn't help the Poveretti shot :wink: Ruffy, when did you stop running for AE?

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Charlie don't surf wrote:Sorry, couldn't help the Poveretti shot :wink: Ruffy, when did you stop running for AE?
Any shot at Ernie is good! He's sooo cheap he could pinch a nickle till the beaver $H!t$! Oh wait, that only works on the Canadian nickle! :lol:

corkyjohnson75
Approved Member

Post by corkyjohnson75 »

Hi ruffy mate your car is great thanks for posting all these great pics . im from the uk and i can remember the basildon worlds in 93 it was on vhs i bought it dont no where it is now like im thinking of building a rep of your car would you giv me all the info if i do that would be great . i use to have a lazer back then and mine had them blue hub carriers on they were great that were made out of a funny nylon who made them . the rc10 in the pic is my all time favorite have you any info on it thanks.
Attachments
RC10 TC.jpg

Soncho Ponza
Approved Member

Post by Soncho Ponza »

What was the set up you used on your lazer. and do u have any other shots of other lazers racers used. I would love to see some other shots of that worlds car. Masamis is great But It is cool to see cars built and run by other team drivers

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

OK guys, stay tuned here, I will do some more in depth coverage of my Worlds 4WD Lazer. To answer your question, the blue delrin hub carrier parts were brought over and handed to me at the '93 Worlds by the Kyosho Team from Japan, along with the blue aluminum front and rear hingepin holders. The upper turnbuckles are machined and treaded out of aluminum.
I had owned all of the 4wd Yokomos to that date (yes from the original Dogfighter like the one Gil drove, then the SE, then the others...but the nice thing about that Kyosho Lazer when I got picked up by Kyosho was that I found it extremely easy to drive-fast when compared to any of the Yokomos I had owned prior to it. Maybe it was just me. Since the 1st day I drove it at the Dallas,Texas Indoor Nationals prior to the Worlds, I never desired to own another Yokomo after that. I led the B main wire to wire until the last few turns of the very last lap where I had to let Carlos Gonzalez by due to my batteries going soft suddenly, finishing 2nd. I really thought I wasn't going to be able to finish that last lap for a second or two.
I only used that 4WD car for those two major races, the Nat's and the World's in 93 and then put her on a shelf in the hobby room until just now, I only had to dust her off a little for the pictures. At the time Florida's racing mainly centered around 2WD buggy, which is why I never ran her here.

I don't have any information on the Stealth Cars used for those two worlds events, other than they were test platforms for concurrent development of Team Associateds future cars. I think you have today the result of those years of hardship, in the production version of the B4 buggy.

adam lancia
Approved Member

Post by adam lancia »

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm relatively sure that a company called Teamline made those blue front hubs. They had ball bearings for the king pins to pivot on and were super tough. I think they widened the front track a little as well.

Soncho Ponza
Approved Member

Post by Soncho Ponza »

Carlos Gonzalez :shock: i raced with him and hodapp twice a week in seattle when they were just punk kids learning to drive before they became team drivers Well l WAS LEARNIG TOO i was just older, Those two AND SCOTT BROWN...A COUPLE OTHERS THEY raced with, we used to call them the Bratt pack. They were always fast and had the best stuff. when Carlos first got picked up by PEAK and assoc. we got to see the first of the stealth transmisions, and hard anodized shocks. he would always give me his once or twice ran motors from big events. He would say they weren't that fast...Hell they were balistic iv got some picks of his cars around (Green and Black white triangle graghics)....I wish i had taken more pictures of the early cars those guys ran.

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

corkyjohnson75 wrote:Hi ruffy mate your car is great thanks for posting all these great pics . im from the uk and i can remember the basildon worlds in 93 it was on vhs i bought it dont no where it is now like im thinking of building a rep of your car would you giv me all the info if i do that would be great . i use to have a lazer back then and mine had them blue hub carriers on they were great that were made out of a funny nylon who made them . the rc10 in the pic is my all time favorite have you any info on it thanks.
I am not sure if you have this:
Masami Hirosaka's Stealth RC10 used in Detroit Worlds
This is the same car.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Adam:
Not sure, as I said I never saw a package or header tag, they were handed to me as a bunch of parts in a small box with my name on it, while at the Kyosho hospitality get together prior to the start of the World's qualifying rounds. That's all I know.
I mainly raced for Kyosho in 4WD and the early nitro days, in 1/8 4WD nitro, but prior to my taking a job with Mugen, which involved moving to NY, but quiting with them after just 7 months and moving back to Florida.
:D

Soncho:
Yeah we used to all hang out together. Carlos, Rick (Howart), Derek and Hodap were racing buddies. We used to pull pranks and stuff on each other, but took our racing seriously.

Great link M_vice! that should help him greatly.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

I just found last night, the 1st edition AE B2 Buggy assembly manual... there was no real manual, but a small book of photos taken of the car assembled from many different angles, so that the team guys would know how to finish assembling the "partiall assembled" 1st Team kits sent out to us. I still have the picture book and explanation sheets as if they were just sent to us.
This was a nice find. I'll post up pics when I get a chance in this thread.

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

Cool to see some of the "Old Guys" finding this board. The 93 worlds was my first worlds, and I think that "The track was very hard and had some definite breakdown when the potholes started to appear due to dirt-clods coming out of the ground." is being very kind :lol: I remember being overwhelmed by the breakdown of that track and having never seen a track covered in kitty litter before. I had only been racing for a few years, and still had an amazing time (except for draging my stuff back to the hotel everynight, It seemed a good half mile!). I shared a room with Quincy Hughes at that race, do you know whatever happend to him?