Pretty lousy quality for $250.00

Everything pertaining to the RC10 buggy re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

SteveK
Approved Member

Re: Pretty lousy quality for $250.00

Post by SteveK »

I'm not wrong when I say consumers shouldn't have to correct manufacturing and quality control issues on cars as expensive as this. I feel sorry for you that you are willing to accept less, but I guess that's what works for you. I know I would be embarrassed to produce something with this many flaws at my job.

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

SteveK wrote:I feel sorry for you that you are willing to accept less, but I guess that's what works for you. I know I would be embarrassed to produce something with this many flaws at my job.
Attachments
pinkies-out-rc10-build.jpg

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

I'm looking forward to mine, and will be perfectly fine with a 30 year design requiring the same extra effort to get everything silky that it always had and always will. (...said a nostalgic buff on a nostalgic forum for a nostalgic model race car).

Hey Hoop...

- Brian -

My Gallery

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

You know, A comment in a re-re build thread about shock spacers has made me think. This Re Release and something like a Tamiya Re Release are in two completely different leagues. Something like a Tamiya you build by the book and run it or shelf it box stock... This is a 'race car' and rarely are these ever box stock, generally being built looking half at the manual half at the pile of clippings from rc car action and even a little bit at that little black book of secrets trying to make your RC10 faster and handle better then the next guys RC10. The manual was more of a guide then a bible... That is why these were so versatile, you didn't build them.. you created your own special version of them.

Chris
Losi - Jrx2, Pro, Jr2, Pro SE, JrxT, JrT, LXT, NXT, XXKE, XXTG+
Mini - T, LST, LST2, Crawler
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T
Crawlers - Trx4 Defender, Bootleg Bruiser Shelf Queen
-Bashers under contruction- Jrx2

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

clm wrote:You know, A comment in a re-re build thread about shock spacers has made me think. This Re Release and something like a Tamiya Re Release are in two completely different leagues. Something like a Tamiya you build by the book and run it or shelf it box stock... This is a 'race car' and rarely are these ever box stock, generally being built looking half at the manual half at the pile of clippings from rc car action and even a little bit at that little black book of secrets trying to make your RC10 faster and handle better then the next guys RC10. The manual was more of a guide then a bible... That is why these were so versatile, you didn't build them.. you created your own special version of them.

Chris
I saw this posted in my thread too and I agree. :wink:
Jeff

Jedi Master
Approved Member

Post by Jedi Master »

I'm not bothered about these small imperfections. They don't cause major issues and are fixed with some minor fettelling. I'm just stoked that we got it re-released! :D

And I think it motivates people how to build, modify and then fix the model. After all, isn't it those elements that got people so hooked on the original. People who dislike this requirement are the typical buyers of RTR's. I doubt the racers amongst us will be bothered by a bit of sanding and shaping of parts. It's the joy of making it perfect by your own hand! :mrgreen:
Do, or do not! There is no 'try'!
RC; Boats, Buggies, Trucks, Bash's, Racing and of course 'VINTAGE'!
My Ebay Feedback: http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=jedimaster768&ftab=AllFeedback

knixdad
Approved Member

Post by knixdad »

Jedi Master wrote:I'm not bothered about these small imperfections. They don't cause major issues and are fixed with some minor fettelling. I'm just stoked that we got it re-released! :D

And I think it motivates people how to build, modify and then fix the model. After all, isn't it those elements that got people so hooked on the original. People who dislike this requirement are the typical buyers of RTR's. I doubt the racers amongst us will be bothered by a bit of sanding and shaping of parts. It's the joy of making it perfect by your own hand! :mrgreen:
I disassemble and tweak RTRs as well. They usually aren't put together to my specifications out of the box.
I miss brushed motors in that hazy, everything seemed better when I was a kid, kind of way.

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

knixdad wrote:
Jedi Master wrote:I'm not bothered about these small imperfections. They don't cause major issues and are fixed with some minor fettelling. I'm just stoked that we got it re-released! :D

I disassemble and tweak RTRs as well. They usually aren't put together to my specifications out of the box.
Same here. I've never actually run one with taking it apart at least part way.

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

badhoopty wrote: cleaning an outdrive and bathing it it lube aint really gonna do jack
Shows what you know; I did just that and it worked a treat.

Actually the cleaning and lube was for the surface rust and the stuff in the teeth of the gears.

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

ca-rj wrote:I agree, the fit and finish is now what I expected either. These days, having to file and ream parts to get them to fit right is just unacceptable. I'm sure it's great for all you nostalgic buffs, but it sure did bug me. The last kit I built was a Tamiya TRF201 and it was the best build I have completed to date. Oh well, I'm still excited about the car and can't wait to get the electronics in it and run it.

Agree 100%! Totally unacceptable in this day and age. They should have a perfect fit and finish down to a science like their competitors. Thunder Tiger is trying to climb the ranks of r/c manufacturing (aspiring to become the 4th largest r/c manufacturer in the world behind Tamiya, Kyosho and Futaba by acquiring AE) but they'll fall short if their products are not up to Tamiya standards in terms of fit and finish.

Case in point: While I'm looking forward to building and running a new RC10, I'm not nostalgic about it like a lot of guys here so I know I won't purchase another AE/TT product if I have to wrestle with the parts too much because I hold grudges like that. Like most here, I've been in the hobby long enough to have the skills to file, sand and ream as needed in order to get parts to fit correctly and I'll do it if I have to but that doesn't mean I think I should have to especially after spending a couple hundred bucks on a NIB kit.

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

knixdad wrote:
R/Cat wrote: Wow, very surprising to read. Mine should be here this Tuesday and I can tell you that, after being spoiled by the consistently perfect fit and finish of multiple Tamiya kits over the last few decades, this filing, shaving and fitting of parts for the RC10 is going to be annoying to me. Whether it's the result of poor Chinese QC or just the way all RC10s were/are, I'll be frustrated if/when it doesn't go together easily.
I just finished a Re-Re Fox. I spent at least an hour sanding the arms and hinges to get them to move without binding. Even the newest Tamiya's I put together require a little hand work to make them work correctly.

Honestly it seems like they managed to recreate a lot of the extra work that went into building an early 80's RC. Dunno if that was on purpose. :)

I'm surprised to read that. My experience with Tamiya kits since the 80's has been excellent up to and including the re-re Super Hotshot I assembled about 6 months ago.

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

SteveK wrote:I'm not wrong when I say consumers shouldn't have to correct manufacturing and quality control issues on cars as expensive as this. I feel sorry for you that you are willing to accept less, but I guess that's what works for you. I know I would be embarrassed to produce something with this many flaws at my job.

Exactly, especially in 2013. This is not 1984.

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

Not sure that's true. With the exception of my first Hornet and LB that I was too young to assemble myself back in the 80's, I've assembled every model I've ever had/have and wouldn't consider purchasing a RTR because I like the build as much as displaying and running my models. What I don't like is being bogged down with the task of perfecting the fit and finish of brand new parts before assembly begins when they should already fit together perfectly.

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

Well, you can only have it one way and people will bitch about whichever way it is. I have seen some threads of re-re's saying they changed this and that and are pissed because it is not to original form. Now we have a very close representation of an original and people are pissed that it doesn't meet 2013 manufacturing standards. Does anyone remember whole handbooks written to get the six gear working smoothly? This is/was hobby grade racing hardware and is why a lot of novice users were swayed into grasshoppers, hornets, and falcons. Tweak, modify, and fix away on a VINTAGE racer. It is not meant to be a B4.4.
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

knixdad
Approved Member

Post by knixdad »

CamplinP wrote:Well, you can only have it one way and people will bitch about whichever way it is. I have seen some threads of re-re's saying they changed this and that and are pissed because it is not to original form. Now we have a very close representation of an original and people are pissed that it doesn't meet 2013 manufacturing standards. Does anyone remember whole handbooks written to get the six gear working smoothly? This is/was hobby grade racing hardware and is why a lot of novice users were swayed into grasshoppers, hornets, and falcons. Tweak, modify, and fix away on a VINTAGE racer. It is not meant to be a B4.4.
Prolly why we pick up so many "front end completed" old RC10s and Losi's all the time.

I disassemble and clean my bearings all the time, minor tweaks to make parts fit is child's play. Popping that clip out to get the shields off would make some people lose their minds, I'm sure.
I miss brushed motors in that hazy, everything seemed better when I was a kid, kind of way.