Faux4x4
Approved Member

Re: Losi XX Kinwald Trinity build

Post by Faux4x4 »

Where do you get those hinge pins?

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

^ Faux4x4 - The hinge pins are Losi units coated in gold Ti. Once I figure out the complete parts list of them, I will post it here.

The Trinity shock stand offs came today, so I was able to get this thing close to complete. I actually ended up only using them on the front. In the back, I used some shorter Trinity units. I think the shorter length actually puts the rear shocks at a better angle.

I used these Factory Works nuts to mount the top of the shocks, and their very cool black washers on the bottom along with Lunsford Ti hardware.

I have most all of the available battery braces made for this car - Trinity, Factory Works, Jammin, stock Graphite - and I actually prefer the clean look without one. Eventually I will have to put one on, but it really doesn't need it.

Wheels - I have a fair assortment of wheels for this car. The first set I am going to try are some solid white wheels dyed black. I love the look of black wheels. I know not everyone does so I will also try some others. I have a front set of solid yellow wheels. I just need to find some rears to match.
Attachments
20201102_205649.jpg
20201102_205720.jpg
20201102_205554.jpg
20201102_205900.jpg
20201102_210309.jpg
20201102_210423.jpg

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

Lavigna wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:20 am I love the look of black wheels. I know not everyone does so I will also try some others.
I don't follow your builds to see what everyone else likes. I like to see your vision. Just sayin... 8)
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

^ Matt1ptkn - Thanks buddy. I appreciate it.

The buggy is basically a roller now. I still need tires. I dyed the Sud white Losi wheels. I think they will look great once they get some rubber.
Attachments
20201104_150334.jpg
20201104_160523.jpg
20201104_162204.jpg
20201104_162305.jpg
20201104_171401.jpg
20201104_171428.jpg
20201104_171502.jpg
20201104_171548.jpg

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

Few more shots
Attachments
20201104_155536.jpg
20201104_155647.jpg
20201104_161617.jpg
20201104_161711.jpg
20201104_161814.jpg
20201104_161852.jpg
20201104_161937.jpg
20201104_162227.jpg

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

Love the black wheels!
Matt

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

matt1ptkn wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:52 am Love the black wheels!
The wheels are going to look killer with some flouro. painted wheel disks added!

What a build..... i'm gobsmacked! The combination of the Trinity blue alongside the silvery textured pattern of the graphite parts is just so unique to Losi - but oh-so cool!

The only thing i'd be tempted to do if it was mine - is to introduce the little gold (OG spec) washers beneath the two cap head screws securing the alloy rear bulkhead to the chassis - just to protect the blue anodising from the pinching of the bolt head.

Ref the motor centralising kit.... Losi released their own version which came complete with the newer style (radially machined) lightweight motor plate - which came pre-drilled with the two sets of holes for either std. or central motor options.

Edited to add - would a Trinity black spur continue the Trinity parts + black & blue theme??

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

^ DerbyDan - Thanks! I will have to try the gold washers. I tightened down those 2 screws so they almost touch the blue rear bulkhead. They aren't scratching.

Also, good idea on the black spur gear. I like the look of the purple, and it's very Kinwald, but black may fit better and show to be more unique.

Here is a comparison with a 22 5.0 Elite. With the longer chassis, the XX is nearly the same wheelbase as the modern car.
Attachments
20201103_104250.jpg

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

I have cut and fitted the Protoform Ripper body. I really love the lines of this body.

Because of the longer chassis I am using, I had to get a little creative to get the body to sit correctly. I decided to add 3mm aluminum spacers behind the rear shock tower, to move it forward. I also cut the front of the body slightly different from the scribed lines, to elongate it a little.

I'm not a fan of traditional post mounts. I think they are ugly and it seems a shame to cut holes in new bodies. Modern cace cars with vercro attachment have it right in my opinion. So I just removed the front and rear body mounts from the buggy. The body sits securely enough without them for what I have planned for it, lol.

DerbyDan - I added the gold washers. Thanks for the suggestion.
Attachments
20201106_225532.jpg
20201106_225548.jpg
20201106_231621.jpg
20201106_225327.jpg
20201109_103647.jpg

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

Another amazing build Lavigna, setting the bar really high again!

But what a shame you had to part with your original Kinwald, must of been such a tough decision to make. Do you know who it went to, can you get it back?

Really liking a lot of the touches on this build, those Ti outdrives are a thing of beauty!

I see that the transmission screws are still stock, I guess Lunsford don't do that length? The Ti bolts would look really nice against the MK1 motor plate. I know you could get aluminium screws that length BITD, but they wouldn't be shiny like the Ti ones.

As you mentioned before, I also not sold on the Fantom bulkhead: a) I think its too much blue, and b) its not Trinity! :lol:

One thing I would say is mount the shocks in the middle hole on the tower front and back - I think aesthetically it looks better.

Also, a little tip, if this is going on the shelf, use the A & B spacers you get with the shocks to sit under the pistons, effectively reducing the length/droop so the car will sit nice and low. I had to use a tonne of them in my trucks as the shocks were so damn long. I guess you could also use fuel tubing or something.

The long chassis is an interesting choice, but actually brings it more inline with the modern buggies like the 22, I guess you will need the long battery hold-down also, unless you go for the old-school velcro straps?

All in all, mega build my friend, and the above is just my personal opinions, do what you think feels right :idea:

One more thing, I'm not sure on the blue spring and blue collars, there just isn't enough contrast to showcase the collars and they clash IMO. Trouble is, you want to use blue springs as its a Kinwald right, but also the blue collars because they are so damn cool! Maybe try a set of springs with the colour removed (paint remover) like on my XX-4, see how you feel. Or get the collars anno'd black (buy the red ones to do this! :D ) no-one has done that yet!

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

^ Jamin - Thanks for your feedback. It's always welcome as I judge my builds from the bar you have set.

- Yes, I truly miss my NIB built Kinwald. Selling it is the reason I decided to build this car. I wanted to replace it with something even better in every possible way. I sold it to a great guy in the UK. Long story but I needed some quick cash due to an emergency and the timing just happened to work.

- I have Lunsford screws for the transmission re-ordered. I had to order longer ones after I realized I forgot to account for the longer length needed because of the motor centering kit. A few pictures actually show the too short ones installed just as a mock up.

- I sort of agree on the Fantom bulkhead.

- I mounted the shocks in the hole locations shown in the XX Kinwald manual. I also trimmed the rear tower. I may try moving to the center holes though. Good suggestion.

- I actually have the Losi internal springs inside all 4 shocks. The buggy currently sits just about perfect - nice and low! lol

- I am not seeing what you are seeing in terms of the blue shock collars contrasting with the blue springs. I may mess around with it a little though and see if I can find something I like more.

It's already a long thread, and most of what you mention was discussed prior. However I know it takes a lot of time to read through all the text and photos. I have a Trinity battery brace already. It is mounted in some pictures but not others. I sort of like the look without it.

Thanks again for everything. I truly appreciate it! Hope to see a new build of something from you soon. I still go back and look at your build threads all the time.

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

Well at least it got you out of your situation I suppose, and gives you the motivation to do an even better build, which you have!

Yeah sorry, I read your whole thread after I posted, and a lot of what I said you had already discussed, so that's all good :D

No, probs, Like I said, just suggestions, these builds are so personal, Its hard to say 'do this' or 'do that' just casting my eye that's all - TBH its pretty damn awesome as it is, definitely another top Losi build on here!

I've just ordered some lunsford quick tune mounts for mt XX-CR and also some new XXT graphite wishbones with the silver stamping for my truck - just a couple of things I noticed was not right!!

I am very close to getting a 22 5.0 Elite for the shelf - buts obvs that's going to just be an OOB build. I can't see myself doing anymore builds - unless Losi start doing re-re's of course!

Keep up the great work representing Losi on this forum!

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

That close up photo of the cut front body mount is also a killer shot of that front shock tower!! 8)
Matt

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

matt1ptkn wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:44 am That close up photo of the cut front body mount is also a killer shot of that front shock tower!! 8)
Also the shot of the rear shock tower highlights just how neatly your trimming work is Adam!! :shock:

I note you've added the gold washers too :D

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

^ DerbyDan - Yes I did. Thanks again for the suggestion.
Attachments
Screenshot_20201110-084842_Chrome.jpg