Kent Clausen's 91 Insane Speed Run RC10lss

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

scr8p
Administrator

Re: Kent Clausen's 91 Insane Speed Run RC10lss

Post by scr8p »

i was wondering if you had seen it. i know you told me awhile back that you had wanted to build one of them also.

the only thing i really need to find is the rear hpi hubs. i can't find them anywhere. i tried e-mailing hpi to see if they might have had some old stock laying around, but didn't get a response. i then went on rctech and chimed in on a thread for kent's insane car. kent had posted a few times in the thread, so i thought he might see my post about the hubs. he told me they had been disco'd for about 10 years, and would probably be super hard to find. he told me to try ultimate or stormer hobies. i did, but came up short. bob stormer posted in the thread, and actually went and looked himself, but said he had none left.
6146lfhb.jpg
6146lfhb.jpg (12.34 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
6146lfhb.jpg
6146lfhb.jpg (12.34 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
6150rthb.jpg
6150rthb.jpg (14.17 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
6150rthb.jpg
6150rthb.jpg (14.17 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
it's gonna be hard enough to find a pair, but i actually need 2 pairs. i also have the hpi 10lss super oval conversion chassis and related parts that i need a pair for, too.
hpi[1].jpg

reign79
Approved Member

Post by reign79 »

No but you can bet i have my i out and i am always looking pan car first so i will be sure to let you know Jason. :mrgreen:
Ryan

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

I just read a flyer today at Ultimate hobbies...Insane Speed Run at the Encino Velodrome, April 24th.

I think I left it in the car, when I get it, I will scan it in if anyone wants to see it.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

now if i only lived on the west coast. :wink:

the lehigh valley velodrome is about 20-30 minutes from my house. they used to race r/c's there bitd (i ran there once). i wonder how much begging and pleading it would take to host a race there again? :)

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i just found this video from the 92 insane speed runs...................

RER40
Approved Member

Post by RER40 »

scr8p ~ you might want to keep a look out for ANY car on eBay. The lightweight hubs were a common mod, back in the day, even amoungst road-racers - and several companies "lightened" them. I had several sets, and I think Buds even made them.
Just saying there should be a LOT floating about out there. ;)
scr8p wrote:i was wondering if you had seen it. i know you told me awhile back that you had wanted to build one of them also.

the only thing i really need to find is the rear hpi hubs. i can't find them anywhere. i tried e-mailing hpi to see if they might have had some old stock laying around, but didn't get a response. i then went on rctech and chimed in on a thread for kent's insane car. kent had posted a few times in the thread, so i thought he might see my post about the hubs. he told me they had been disco'd for about 10 years, and would probably be super hard to find. he told me to try ultimate or stormer hobies. i did, but came up short. bob stormer posted in the thread, and actually went and looked himself, but said he had none left.

it's gonna be hard enough to find a pair, but i actually need 2 pairs. i also have the hpi 10lss super oval conversion chassis and related parts that i need a pair for, too.

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

That's a great video especially when that one car lost its downforce and tried to fly. Also didn't see Kent Clausen's name in the final results wasn't he entered?
http://www.rc-isc.com/

This is all very interesting!

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

RER40 wrote:scr8p ~ you might want to keep a look out for ANY car on eBay.
i found 2 cars on ebay that had the hpi hubs on the right, but not on the left. had either (or both) had both left and right hubs, i probably would've wanted to pick them up alot more. then sold off the rest. i'm really holding out for nip ones, being as though everything on both cars will be brand new. i'm very patient when i comes to finding parts i need for builds, so i know some will come along eventually. :)

hpi actually had 2 different right hubs (a wide and a narrow), so i really hope to find them nip with the header card and part number so i get the right ones. the right hub pictured above is the wide one. hpi's site didn't have a pic of the narrow.

i got an e-mail reply back from hpi this morning, and they said they don't have any old stock left.

a couple months ago, i sent bud an e-mail to see if he had any of the SS magnesium hubs laying around (i need them for my clausen replica), but he told me he didn't have any. so, i'm hunting for those, too. i'm sure a new pair of them will come around one day, too. :)

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

a01butal wrote:That's a great video especially when that one car lost its downforce and tried to fly. Also didn't see Kent Clausen's name in the final results wasn't he entered?
http://www.rc-isc.com/
going by the write up in rcca, he had an early confrontation with the wall. i guess it ended his run before he even got a lap in.

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

Hey scrap maybe for your 3rd car you could build a more modern LSR car. This is really sweet and holds the record at a little better than 161 MPH:
Case%20Streamliner%20161.jpg
LSR-Car2.jpg
LSR-Car.jpg
Streamliner%20Chassis.jpg

This is all very interesting!

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

trust me, if there was some place close to do it, i'd be all over that. those insane speed run cars have always intrigued me. but with not being colse to where that action is, there was never any need for me to try and build one.

theres a shop in new jersey that just put down a new 1/10 scale dragstrip. i thought it would be cool to pick up one the rj speed pro stock kits and do some bracket racing. :)