Will brushless kill brushed?

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

longboardnj
Approved Member

Re: Will brushless kill brushed?

Post by longboardnj »

Will brushless kill brushed? if brushless gets to be the same price as brushed that will kill off most brushed motors... its only a matter of time for all high end brushed motors to be killed off.. i think we will always have closed endbell/stock motors

MOmo
Approved Member

Post by MOmo »

JK Racing wrote:C rating on a Lipo is how much "punch" it has available (and allegedly at that)...
i say allegedly because there are some shady sellers out there that post "peak" C ratings and not "constant" C ratings, so you think your getting a good pack, but it is only mediocre at best.

Interesting cause I just talked with a guy at iHobby expo about this same kinda thing and truly the "punch rating or discharge esp. high discharge, is kinda a farse.
longboardnj wrote:Will brushless kill brushed? if brushless gets to be the same price as brushed that will kill off most brushed motors... its only a matter of time for all high end brushed motors to be killed off.. i think we will always have closed endbell/stock motors
Here's my take. As a long-time racer, I can say that thanks to BL, there is no "STOCK" motor classes. You can have a motor that meets the requirements for the stock class, but with the ability to update and change the software profiles, isn't that just a different way to compensate for the motors shortcomings? My motto is "Silvercan 540s for everyone!!!!

I'm sure Im over-simplifying it, but as I understand it, aren't BL motors just reverse engineered, in that the "comm" is the magnet, and the can contains the windings?

As a loyal racer of Banzai motors ( http://www.banzaimotors.com ) I was worried about those folks who took the time to modify and produce good solid brushed motors. My brushed motors are still fast, but recently I have seen the light and switched to BL motors in some of my cars. I think the BL is a good way to go, and agree with the previous thoughts of zero maintenance and the huge difference in power. Working in a retail hobbyshop, its easy to convince someone that BL equipped cars are worth while.

MOmo

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yeah, the C rating is the capacity. if the cell has a higher discharge C rating, that means the cell has a lower internal resistance and sustain a higher amp draw without overheating. This does mean that the cell can discharge with a slightly higher voltage, becuase there is less loss. But this isn't a HUGE difference we are talking about.

as far as a brushless motor, the commutation is done in the ESC, the windings (for an rc land vehicle) are fixed on the outside(can) and the rotor is a permanent magnet. that's the beauty of BL, there are really no moving parts to go bad other than the 2 bearings. Some outrunner motors have the permanent magnets on the can and windings internally, but the can rotates with the shaft, kinda weird.....

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

My motto is "Silvercan 540s for everyone!!!!
thats the only way to keep a true "stock " race class.. Banzai motors has the right idea just carry 27t and 19t brushed "tuned" or "pro" motors.. thats what i see as the future of brushed.. 27t is a good stock race class and i think 19t is the most fun you can have brushed (fast yet still very efficient) ... if you think about it with brushless now whats the point of any company even making a 12 turn or lower brushed motor??

TZona
Approved Member

Post by TZona »

is speed passion any good? i've never heard of them