whats going to happen to our hobby??

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

longboardnj
Approved Member

Re: whats going to happen to our hobby??

Post by longboardnj »

all these post put this song in my head. think this is the only way can get it out..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9sEBBCIZ54

adam lancia
Approved Member

Post by adam lancia »

MelvinsArmy wrote:
adam lancia wrote:I failed to look at his membership date...that does make it a little peculiar but that still denies the large steaming pile that's been sitting in the middle of the room the last little while......
Spell it out Adam, we're listening and always open to suggestions.
I was referring to the same disharmonious vibe that scr8p was referring to. No hidden agenda here, I haven't got the brain power for that sort of thing :D :lol:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

adam lancia wrote:but that still denies the large steaming pile that's been sitting in the middle of the room the last little while......
i honestly don't see a problem. other than most people seem to spend the majority of their time in the ebay, bst, and off-topic forums. which i believe was one of erik's gripes. and in my opinion, any hostility on the board seems to revolve around rer40.

there's also the fact that not everyone can get along. that's just life, whether it's on the computer or face to face. the more people that join this forum, there's definately gonna be a clash of personalities. it's a given.

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

RER40 wrote:And then Melvin does exactly the same thing I did and it's OK for him to do but not me. :roll:
MelvinsArmy wrote:RER40, you make a lot of good points, most of which I agree with, but you are dead wrong ..........
The problem is, and I find this is true on forums, email and any other correspondance where the reader doesn't actually care about understanding your point, that folks will 'scan' your posts and then selectively read or remember what you said. Typically that means things getting taken out of context and people getting upset over things that weren't really said or even implied.

The end of the original post was:
MelvinsArmy wrote:but you are dead wrong about bashers and the Slash class. I would not be here if not for the "basher" category of r/c.
Melvin's response was disagreeing with a couple of RER40's points and nothing was in bold either. What was quoted was a portion of a sentence that turned it into something much more inflammatory than it was. Melvin made a direct rebuttal by example (that he himself was an former "basher" who became more involved in the hobby).

I think maybe when we want to reply to someone that we take the time to read ALL of what they are saying. I am guilty of throwing up goofy posts, but I just do it in jest. I am not trying to get into knock-down-drag-outs over toys.

For what it's worth this "hobby" encompasses anyone who owns r/cs. To belittle anyone for their preferences isn't right. I will never understand the 'shelf queen' aspect of the hobby, but I would never say that those people don't have the same right to enjoy what they do. Live and let live.... or live free or die. ;)

Just for clarification, that is my state motto. We enjoy our freedom up heeya.
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

adam lancia wrote:
MelvinsArmy wrote:
adam lancia wrote:I failed to look at his membership date...that does make it a little peculiar but that still denies the large steaming pile that's been sitting in the middle of the room the last little while......
Spell it out Adam, we're listening and always open to suggestions.
I was referring to the same disharmonious vibe that scr8p was referring to. No hidden agenda here, I haven't got the brain power for that sort of thing :D :lol:

Okay, I was just wanting to make sure. If anyone has a gripe about anything, now's a good time to bring it up and hopefully we can move through it and move on.

I couldn't agree more with scr8p's last post. We are getting bigger and bigger, there's going to be more points of view and people will not always see eye to eye. But, there is no reason why we can't have our differences in a civilized manner. We've had a couple good arguments among the members, but I think it's been mostly very respectful up until last month. Just my opinion.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I have not been here nearly as long as some, but I think the bad vibe will come to an end pretty quick. When there is a troublemaker looking for a fight lurking around I think it makes everyone tight-lipped. Not because they are intimidated, but because it's just not worth the hassle. I enjoy a good debate if I'm qualified in the subject matter(which isn't much), but when it's every post it gets a bit old for everyone. Some people will argue with a STOP sign...IMHO
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

purpletimbo
Approved Member

Post by purpletimbo »

Well, I have been here a while now, not as long as most of you guys, and I love reading most bits, I occasionaly dodge the Schumacher forum, only because I own one out of 200 or so RCs.
I like this place, it is much less stressful than most forums, and not nearly as uptight, I would like to think I had some good friends via here that I would not have made otherwise, even if the chances of meeting across the pond are slim.
I am always up for a healthy discussion on important matters, but discussing the cause of the demise of RC sales, seems pointless, we should be discussing what we could do to reverse the trend.
I have a many and varied collection, started in the early 80's with a Tamiya Cheetah, and now one of every make going just about.
I have never raced, nor probably ever will, as it doesn't do it for me, I have some display cars, but most are for running, or often with rarities, just the joy of owning them.
I do however spend money on hop ups to make whatever I am running better, and anything that induces companies to make upgrades would be good, a modded Slash class, is surely what Thundertech had in mind with that chassis they brought out.
No desire to restart any argument, or indeed start one at all.

PS
:lol: I will race your Tyco with my Nikko anytime :lol:

Doc J33P
Approved Member

Post by Doc J33P »

How did I miss this, lol.

Anyone have a picture of a boot?! lol
35 years of RC and still broke!

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

mel_russ615 wrote:wow i've never posted here before. i was told this was a cool board to join, now i'm reconsidering it.

That's my brother, I asked him to join a few months ago. He doesn't surf forums everyday, when he did happen to log on here a few days ago and had a look around almost the whole top page of active forums were filled with this guy and everyone else responding. Please don't attack him for not checking in here everyday
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

I would prefer this thread quietly dies.

wts873
Approved Member

Post by wts873 »

I still love this board and Dont know where else I would go for the wealth of knowledge that exists here. I think all the drama is rising from just how passonate we are about these little toys. I feel that as long as there are a few of us that feel this strong about RC, the hobby industry will still be around for a long time :D .

MOmo
Approved Member

Post by MOmo »

I too love this forum. Remembering where we came from.

Every industry has roots. They grow, fads come and go, Offroad and Onroad racing will exist with variations. Kids will still go play around in parks and on the baseball diamonds, which is probably where many of us went to run our buggys and trucks.

I think there is an element that of truth to what was expressed on both sides. I think that what we have now is far different from the way things were done in the late 80s and 90s. Browse this off topic thread and this topic has come up quite a bit. I'll admit I haven't been as involved as I used to, mainly to to my financial situation. I have still managed to pick up a few decent deals off my local CL. For me, our last indoor offroad track might be closing in May. Its unfortunate that the economy is what it is, but we deal with it accordingly.

I think classes like the Slash are a great seg-way into people into other forms of racing. For me its kind of fun racing in a Vintage class. Several folks have pointed out to their kids what they used to race. Regardless of why we are here, we need to do what we can for our hobby.

Occasionally we need reminding that these are toy cars competing for a Bowling trophy.

MOmo

schmacher
Approved Member

Post by schmacher »

that's why i don't race...i worked in a hobby shop for a while and the racers were way too anal whiney for me to deal with...this hobby is supposed to be fun...remember that word? fun

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

I've raced since I was 10, that was 20 years ago. I worked in a hobby shop for 5 years. I race now and none of them are too anal, they actually race dirty cars, some of them have really nice shelfers and racers on this forum. I don't think it's fair to categorize the problem to racers. Do some research, the problem is one A-hole exmember of this forum who doesn't like Traxxas and can't back that up with any facts.

In all actuality the hobby has no problem, it needs all parts

Bashers, racers, modellers and collectors to fully function

Just my opinion on our little niche
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

i feel the problem is the rising cost of everything...everything now is going nuts with prices..look at alot of the kit prices went up...its not just the price of rc ..im really into offroad stuff like atvs..the 2008 yamaha grizzly 700 had a msrp of $7599 the 2009 yamaha grizzly 700 has a msrp of $8499 and its the same as the 2008 !!!!