Ruffy's '93 Worlds car and other vintage items

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

scr8p
Administrator

Re: 1993 Worlds Car

Post by scr8p »

good stuff! thanks for posting ruffy.

Soncho Ponza
Approved Member

Post by Soncho Ponza »

Little diff mounting set up on front of the stealth. thats cool details to see from factory experimental stuff :mrgreen:

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

Ruffy wrote:It has been such a long time, so I could not remember but scr8p you nailed it.

The instructions they sent have a section on the transmission that reads:

"The tranny that comes in your B2 is the original Stealth transmission that has been modified to fit into the B2".

That would explain why I have a fully assembled B2 transmission, bottom plate, motor guard and bulkhead by itself, as I would have pulled off the entire 1st prototype unit once the 2.40 transmissions were released to the Team. This is the early tranny, and to confirm it I took a closer look and sure enough it is marked.
So to answer the question, Yes, this is the earliest "manual" and prototype B2 car transmission assembly, along with the final Team B2 car next to it.
Pretty much every transmission and ball diff I have seen since the Stealth was released has been virtually identical to it. I was pretty much able to build the trannies in my MRC truck and 1st gen RS4 without the instructions. Most of the diff parts in each will fit Stealth parts as well (I rebuilt the MRC diff with Stealth balls, thrust bearing, screw, nut, etc, and would have done the same to the HPI if I didn't shelve it in favor the belt drive and gear diffs).

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

This post of mine has gone a little scattered, but I felt it best to keep my pics in one spot for now. Maybe an admin can change the title from 1993 Worlds car to something like "Ruffy's '93 Worlds car and other vintage items". :D

Here are some different-material molded RC10 truck arms that are pretty dramatic in person, but hopefully you can see the different shades in these pictures, so from top-to-bottom:
The slightly very stiff/hard translucent upper arms, to the very hard/stiff bright white Team Arms and compare it to the bagged normal white production arms.
The upper-most arms are new and were never mounted to my truck as the second set down arrived quickly after the 1st ones sent.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

I corrected a typo I made:
Right one is the early stealth transmission and plate (notice no square cutout to allow clearance for the larger diff gear).
Left one is an extra B2 (NOT B3 AS I 1ST INDICATED) tranny I have set up for Hydra Drive unit.
These are both B2 transmissions. Right one is pre-production, left is production.
with the B2 Tranny pics. So there are two B2 transmissions there. The only B3 Transmission in my earlier pics is the one mounted to the B3 buggy. The final production B2 and B3 shared the same transmission.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

if you wanted to change your title, you can just go into your original post and edit it.

m_vice
Approved Member

Re: Ruffy's '93 Worlds car and other vintage items

Post by m_vice »

Great stuff Ruffy, thsi is a very insightful thread and thanks for posting and hanging around. :D
love the proto B2 rear set up. 8)

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i don't know if it'd be so much a prototype thing as it would be a retrofit thing. i'd be under the assumption that the 2.40 trans wasn't quite ready and the worlds was coming up quick? would i be right in that thinking...... maybe? or mabe it was supposed to be the 2.25 from the start.

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

scr8p wrote:i don't know if it'd be so much a prototype thing as it would be a retrofit thing. i'd be under the assumption that the 2.40 trans wasn't quite ready and the worlds was coming up quick? would i be right in that thinking...... maybe?
Good point. I always think about parts and setups that where not available to the general public as prototypes, like the trans brace and rear chassis plate. But I agree that this as is more of a retrofit thing. :)

noony
Approved Member

Post by noony »

Thats some cool stuff Ruffy,Thanks for sharing your goodies with us. Its amazing that you still have all these prototype parts after all theses years.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

m_vice wrote:
scr8p wrote:i don't know if it'd be so much a prototype thing as it would be a retrofit thing. i'd be under the assumption that the 2.40 trans wasn't quite ready and the worlds was coming up quick? would i be right in that thinking...... maybe?
Good point. I always think about parts and setups that where not available to the general public as prototypes, like the trans brace and rear chassis plate. But I agree that this as is more of a retrofit thing. :)
well, no matter what we call it, it's cool having close up pics of it. :lol:

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

This is great stuff Ruffy, thanks for sharing and keep it up! I know you just opened a can of worms for poor Kenooze! He will be happy that you showed the prototype B2 transmission plate and top brace. I am sure he will find a way to copy that, but it will cost him dearly for the CNC machining.

This is Kenooze's Francis B2 thread: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=10837

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Ruff, can you give me/us more pics of the white CC belcranks? :wink:

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

It is basically Houge Steering in white. The only White Houge Steering ever made. I had the mold makers make me a few sets for myself while testing the mold machine before we made a large run of Houge Steering Bellcranks, when I worked as one of the engineers at CC.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Hmm, I didn't see the trademark Houge drop off and the steering link mount, neat story.