Bored? Come To The Chit / Chat Thread

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

R6cowboy

Re: Bored? Come To The Chit / Chat Thread

Post by R6cowboy »

Someone please school me regarding AM radios and crystals (I have a Futaba Magnum 2PL, 75MHz). I haven't used an AM transmitter or crystals since circa 1995, and have only used and familiar with 2.4GHz systems. I'm at the point of installing the electronics in my Kyosho Pro XRT and want to use the 2PL and either Futaba R142JE or R152JE receiver. First thing I need is a crystal set. Where do we buy crystal sets these days? Are these basically an ebay only thing now? The 2PL has 10 model memory so I plan to use this transmitter for multiple vintage r/c's as I finish projects. Does that mean I need multiple of the same frequency crystals?

PIcs of the tx and the crystal that's in it. FYI, this is the only single crystal I have. If any members here on the site sell these, please let me know so I can support fellow member(s).

Resized_20220626_155549_6997.jpeg
Resized_20220626_155735_9494.jpeg
Resized_20220626_160003_1028.jpeg
-Jerry-

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

I have two of those. For an AM model, it's as good as it gets.

I've bought several sets of Performance Devices crystals from Ebay. I haven't had any issues with them. Just be sure to get the Futaba/JR/Hitec ones, not Airtronics.

If you can't find what you want in that particular channel, try to stay near it, within reason (maybe 65-79). They are kinda turned to work best within certain ranges of the band.

And yes, you will need multiple receiver crystals. I've used Futaba, Hitec, JR, and Performance Devices crystals with each other. I haven't noticed any problems.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

You will need a transmitter (TX) crystal and multiple receiver (RX) crystals of the same frequency. I primarily use 75mhz channel 88. The picture is a bag of (5) ch 90 RX crystals.
PXL_20220626_213236541.jpg
Your 2PL is new enough to use both the earlier wide band receivers and the later narrow band receivers. The new crystals that I buy on eBay only work with the later model AM radios, like the 2PL. These are what I've been using from "rcboyz".
Screenshot_20220626-164026.png
I use a mix of these and Futaba crystals with good results with my 2PL and Futaba, Novak, and Tekin AM receivers.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Thanks fellas. Is there a difference between tx crystals and rx crystals? Meaning I'll need to get one tx specific crystal, and multiple rx specific crystals?
-Jerry-

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Yes, RX and TX crystals are different.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Frankentruck wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:43 pm The picture is a bag of (5) ch 90 RX crystals.
Are those yours? Or an online pic?

One of mine runs on ch 90. If they're yours and you aren't going to use them, I'd be interested.

I have a few but more wouldn't hurt.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

That's my bag of ch 90 crystals. I was going to setup a 2nd radio with ch90 but plans have changed. Apparently a 3PK radio can't broadcast AM even if an AM module is used with it. I haven't decided to part with them yet though. I have a bunch of ch 82 also.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Couple weeks back the boy (6 yr old) and I were out in the yard playing with the rc's. His ECX Amp all of a sudden came to an abrupt stop and died. I checked the factory esc/rx combo and servo, both were toast. The backside of the servo case is melted and the esc/rx no longer works at all, so everything got replaced. We installed an old Futaba FP-S148 servo from the stash, a new Hobbywing 1060 brushed esc and the Spektrum SRX200 receiver and STX2 transmitter from my Arrma Typhon 6s. Also an added bonus, the esc on/off switch is in a much preferable location. I kept the stock Dynamite 20T motor in it for now because it's still plenty fast for him, but have a Dynamite 15T motor for it when he's ready to step it up a bit.

Resized_20220709_123021_6432.jpeg
Resized_20220709_123041_2581.jpeg
Resized_20220709_122406_2033.jpeg
Resized_20220709_122731_3723.jpeg
-Jerry-

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Despite being smaller, the Amp is easier to work on than the Torment. My son and nephew have Amps and I have a Torment.

It's also cool that they use the same size ballstuds as an RC10.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Anyone know if those Trinity motor spring tension tools are worth having or not? Not sure how they work or if it's a worthy tool to have around for those of us who are constantly working on old-school brushed motors.
-Jerry-

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I have a spring tension measuring tool. I think knowing that I'm using a pair of springs of approximately the same tension is worth knowing, since springs came in different stiffnesses.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

R6cowboy wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:01 pm Anyone know if those Trinity motor spring tension tools are worth having or not? Not sure how they work or if it's a worthy tool to have around for those of us who are constantly working on old-school brushed motors.
I have one, though I wouldn't consider it essential for general purposes. If you were racing it some class that required brushed motors, I could see it being useful.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

What Frankentruck mentioned would be my most concern, since I have so many unknown springs from buying dozens of old motors. Also awhile back I bought some sets of various springs off ebay which did not specify what was what, they were just described as light, medium, heavy, extra heavy, etc. in the title description.

So basically I want a way of knowing if I'm using a pair of springs of the same tension or close to the same.

Thanks fellas
-Jerry-

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Sounds like its worth $15 shipped for a new one.
-Jerry-

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

juicedcoupe wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:28 pm Despite being smaller, the Amp is easier to work on than the Torment. My son and nephew have Amps and I have a Torment.

It's also cool that they use the same size ballstuds as an RC10.
Just seen the Torment comes with the Spektrum STX2 transmitter and SRX200 receiver. Think I want to swap in the Dynamite 15T motor just to do a comparison between it and the Dynamite 20T that's in it now, before the 20T dies out. Just for S n G's.

We built a new ramp today, now I know what it's first use will be. Seeing how far the Amp flies, 20T vs 15T :lol:
-Jerry-