To Re-Re or not to Re-Re, That is the Question

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mrlexan
Approved Member

To Re-Re or not to Re-Re, That is the Question

Post by mrlexan »

I am all for the re-release thing, making stuff that is out of reach in terms of cost available to everyone, BUT COME ON ALREADY, where is the new stuff. Yes, I know there are some new releases mixed in, but the re-res seem to over shadow/out number the new stuff.

It seems that is all Tamiya is doing these days. Where are the Pro Trucks, were are the ALMS/LeMans racers.... a Peugeot, Aston, something, I hate to say it, but heck I would even be happy with a Roundy-Round Toyota Camry.

Am I alone with this?

Jay
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Re: To Re-Re or not to Re-Re, That is the Question

Post by MelvinsArmy »

I'd say the r/c world is very different than it was in the 1980's and 1990's. Tamiya still has a huge line up of cars to pick from. They do seem to be doing some cool new crawlers, which is a very popular part of our hobby now. I don't know if replicas of actual cars as complete kits would do very well these days with the huge aftermarket body industry that we have now. As a consumer it makes more sense to pick out the best chassis and then buy whatever body you want to put on it, instead of buying a car that is something that you like the looks of, with a budget chassis under it. It's actually the only reason I haven't bought one of those new Countachs that just came out, I don't want a entry level chassis just to have an r/c car that looks a certain way. I'm not even going to race the thing, I just want something that's not a step above a toy. Back to catering to what's popular at the moment, the old stuff is. All us late twenties through early forty year olds who've been into this for a long time wanna re-live our childhoods again, or have a chance to re-live it with cars that maybe we didn't have but wanted. Those are my theories.

Great topic by the way. :wink:

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

I am biased toward one direction, but let's mix it up. I will say I am glad to see a new F1 body for the F103.... too bad the FIA severely changed their rules (GO TEAM BRAUN!)
Attachments
plmp.jpg
plmp.jpg (47.9 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
plmp.jpg
plmp.jpg (47.9 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
Aston-Martin-LMP1-02s.jpg
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

I'd like to know why they did away with the F201, that was a very good car. Great scale looks and great performance. It's actually how I got started back in racing (back around the turn of the century, hey I can say that now right?) I met a few dudes on an F1 r/c board and we all lived in NJ, so we started racing in the parking lots. Every Sunday afternoon we'd have a 1/10 parking lot Grand Prix.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Now that I think of it, I'm surprised Tamiya hasn't done a truck to compete with the Slash/SC10. I guess those are still fairly new, so maybe they'll come up with something.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

I wonder if Kyosho will take note? I'd love to put together any of the Optima Mids or a Javelin.

pastimesteve
Approved Member

Post by pastimesteve »

I'd love to see Kyosho re-release some of their vintage buggies, but I wonder if they'd ever do that, considering they really didn't have much of an impact in the U.S. (at least that I can recall)? I don't remember ever seeing Kyosho buggies in the hobby shops back in the 80s, whereas, I remember a large selection of Tamiya stuff.

I'd think Kyosho re-releases would be enormously popular in Japan and perhaps in Europe, but I'm not sure that's enough to push them over the edge...

Also, while I'm a big fan of Tamiya's re-releases, I would like to see them come out with more new off-road, scale-type buggies that harken back to Tamiya's foundation, but also introduce new technology.

Steve

m2fit4u2
Approved Member

Post by m2fit4u2 »

I think MelvinsArmy hit the nail on the head with his theory. A re-release of a Kyosho USA-1 would have me wanting to go buy and build another truck that I wanted as a kid; just like I did when the Clod re-release came out.

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

I'd like to see one of these in the Tamiya lineup...

That Aston is the schiznit too.
Attachments
24h-le-mans-audi-2-curbe.jpg
scale-484x363.jpg
scale-484x363.jpg (89.03 KiB) Viewed 1366 times
scale-484x363.jpg
scale-484x363.jpg (89.03 KiB) Viewed 1366 times

HotRodJosh
Approved Member

Post by HotRodJosh »

MelvinsArmy wrote:I wonder if Kyosho will take note? I'd love to put together any of the Optima Mids or a Javelin.
X2.....I'd love a brand-new Optima..... :mrgreen:
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription.....is more cowbell."
Pinstriping by Josh

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

MelvinsArmy wrote:I wonder if Kyosho will take note? I'd love to put together any of the Optima Mids or a Javelin.
If KYOSHO starts to re re I am done with collecting and selling every thing. I know maybe associated should bring back the gold pan or mip should re make there 4 wheel drive kits again or composite craft bring back the worlds chassis

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

murphy3428 wrote:
If KYOSHO starts to re re I am done with collecting and selling every thing. I know maybe associated should bring back the gold pan or mip should re make there 4 wheel drive kits again or composite craft bring back the worlds chassis
I really don't understand this idea. Why would you sell everything?

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

MelvinsArmy wrote:
murphy3428 wrote:
I really don't understand this idea. Why would you sell everything?
whats the point of collecting the vintage stuff if you can go by a new one to me that makes all the hard work spent on finding vintage stuff is a waist of time if there going to remake them. If tamiya and all of the other companies did what tamiya did with the high lift find same cocept as the bruiser but not an exact copy then that would be find no problem but to remake the same version is wrong why not a new version of the rough rider same concept but with todays tecnology instead of the cast meatal parts machine them don't remold the old plastic body mold a new lexan body. Thats my opinion on the re re era

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

I think I remember long ago a moddy commenting about remaking Tecnacraft wheels being such an abhorrent idea. I'm not sure this is that much different.

This is all very interesting!

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

The vintage stuff will still exist. If you are really into vintage stuff, I don't see how new re-releases would change anything. Don't buy new stuff if you only like old stuff.
a01butal wrote:I think I remember long ago a moddy commenting about remaking Tecnacraft wheels being such an abhorrent idea. I'm not sure this is that much different.
It's a huge difference. Tecnacraft has been out of business for years. There is a difference between an un-authorized third party making copies of something that is long dead and a company who is still around re-releasing an old kit that they own the rights to. Joe Blow taking a Tecnacraft wheel set to a machine shop and having them reproduce them is bootlegging. In most other fields that is illegal.

I want my Tamiya stuff made by Tamiya, I want my Tecnacraft stuff made by Tecnacraft. I collect authentic items, old or new. Not bootlegs, fakes, copies or any form of plagerism.