lexan paint stripping

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

lexan paint stripping

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Hi guys and gals,

I keep reading on ebay sellers descriptions where they are writing.....

"this shell (lexan) could easily be stripped and re-painted to look like new"

What do they know that I don't? Is there a new amazing product out there?

I know you can use nitro fuel and acetone but it can fog the lexan....I have heard if you leave these products on too long then the shell is irreversibly damaged......is there not a fool proof method?

I am after something like putting an abs plastic hard shell in oven cleaner, where you just leave them to soak for days.

Anyone?

Cheers

Ed

prp
Approved Member

Post by prp »

Hi if your paint on the body is acrylic you can use hot water with a green pad , but if the paint is with solvant paint or thin with a solvant like acetone or pactra paints you can use liquid brake car to move the paint but the lexan is coming cloudy and breakable.
I thinks buy a new body is the best solution.( time , price and final result ).

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Lexan can be stripped with nitro fuel. but here's the dealio. if you can buy the body new, then buy it because it is a slow time consuming process. Basically you just take littlebit of fuel put it on the body and gently scrub it off with a paint brush. Don't soak it, just a little dab will do ya.

Now if the paint did it's job in the first place and it etched into the body then you will be left with a cloudy body and the only way to fix it is to paint it a darker color.

I have not had good luck with brake fluid. Never use acetone or acetone based finger nail polish remover. and easy off oven cleaner will make the body brittle and crack into a zillion pieces

I stripped this body with nitro fuel and it turned out sweet.

scollins
Approved Member

another idea 4 you

Post by scollins »

Shodog is correct on his advice, nitro fuel does work well, I did it about two years ago on a touring car body. Sorry no picture to show you at the moment.

Please understand that if you are looking for mint, perfect councours quality, oh my god its the holy grail new built car status, shelf queen collector-ish to bring big money on Ebay the following advice may not apply to you. But if you want to freshen up and detail a body nicely for yourself and stay on a budget these tricks do work with skill and patience used in equal doses....

Sometimes, if the paint removal is still being difficult after the Nitro fuel technique or the body has a few cracks/ hazed areas anyway.....you may want to consider painting it on the outside. This gives you the advantage of a nice fresh surface to paint on. You can get away with spraying it with polycarbonate paint, first- carefully building up a few coats of the different colors needed. Then you can polish out that surface and wax it to shine it up a little more as lexan paint dries pretty flat. Of course, metallics- candy colors and flourescents are tough to do with this process because they "build" thin and tend not to cover well. The more opaque soild colors that "build" thicker in coats will be more advantageous to you. Also, if you want to go a step further and the body is really special to you and worth saving you can paint it with a spray gun using automotive base coat, clear coat systems using a flex agent added to the paint formula. I guy on tamiyaClub.com, member DeeMiller did this on a Renault Alpine body and it looked fantastic. it all comes down to how much time and effort you want to put into a repair. One more thing on these tricks, whether you use polycarb paint or automotive with flex agent paint the body with the respective white paint first. Then your colors will cover much nicer and be brighter. My two cents thrown into the wind anyway :) .... scollins
When in doubt, throttle out ...... scollins

Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Walmart sells a product called "citristrip". It comes in a metal can for around $4, and is safe for all plastics as well as other surfaces, and it smells like oranges. Apply it with whatever method that you like, I usually just soak the body in a small bucket or basin, and the paint will come of in a matter of minutes. It doesn't fog or frost. Just be sure and wash the body really well afterwards or, your next paint job won't stick...I've been doing this for years and it works really well.....oh, and be sure it's the clear liquid and not the orange gel..

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=855&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

I used the same process here as described in the link above.

I know Citristrip works great on furniture but never thought to try it on lexan.
Attachments
10LSS 002.jpg
10LSS 002.jpg (58.47 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
10LSS 002.jpg
10LSS 002.jpg (58.47 KiB) Viewed 1304 times

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

paint stripping

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for your kind advice on products and paint stripping. I am sorry I hadn't replied before I have been exceptionally busy. I will let you know how it goes.

I am on holiday now though, so it will be a while before I get back to my RC stuff.

Cheers

Ed