autozone...

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

badhoopty
Approved Member

autozone...

Post by badhoopty »

so earlier this week i had to order-in a upper radiator hose for my firebird. i had to pay at the time, which bugs me but i understand with all the flakes out there who screw places over by ordering stuff and not picking it up.

anyway, i get a call yesterday the hose is in, and went to pick it up just a little while ago.

typical big box autoparts experience... not only did i have to wait in line forever, i also had to wait at the counter forever for the dude to go back and get it, then when he finally comes back and types some crap into the computer he tells me it was refunded and i had to pay again.

huh? refunded? i just got the call the part was in yesterday...

i tried to rationalize with him for a short bit until i got fed up and told him i dont care what his damn computer says, i'm taking the damn hose that i paid for, and started to walk out with it. what absolutely made it awesome was just as i was at the door i walk back to the guy, who had no idea what to do or say... and snatched my reciept out of his hands...

:wink:

(it wouldnt surprise me at all to actually see a credit on my bank statement monday... in that case i'll do the right thing and pay for it, again...)

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Re: autozone...

Post by LowClassCC »

i am proud to say i have been autozone free for over ten years now. there is only so many screw ups that someone can deal with and i hit that make long ago.

reign79
Approved Member

Post by reign79 »

Yeah being a automotive technician autozone is the worst i had to put a alternator in my brother in laws 3500hd pickup and autozone was the only option. So first its nice when the dummy behind the counter starts to talk to you like he is some automtive guru and proceeds to make him self look totally stupid. So i ask for the alternator he says what size is the case i ask what part? he says uhhhhh you should just bring it in so i said well call me crazy but before i go home take it out and come all the way back do you have either of them in stock? No...........I just walked out :?
Ryan

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

reign79 wrote: its nice when the dummy behind the counter starts to talk to you like he is some automtive guru
that's my brother-in-law to a T. :lol: :lol:

he worked at national auto for a couple years, apparently though because he sold automotive parts, he was some sort of ase certified technician. :roll: :lol:

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

one of the things that absolutely drives me insane is that everytime i go, i've already done my research online and have their part numbers written down, only to be asked what damn make and model car i have...

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

my last atempt at giving them a chance went like this..

try being told your 84 mustang svo don't have fuel injection, rear disk brakes, or a turbo, because all 84 mustangs only came with carbs, drum brakes and non boosted. the asshat behind the counter actually told me i was stupid and didn't know what the hell i was talking about. i would have asked for the mgr the the kid was the mgr.

RC Chick
Approved Member

Post by RC Chick »

badhoopty wrote:one of the things that absolutely drives me insane is that everytime i go, i've already done my research online and have their part numbers written down, only to be asked what damn make and model car i have...
Through them off and make up some car!!! I did it once cuz I was pissed off at them for trying to tell me I was asking for the wrong parts. Watch their faces when they can't find it. :lol:

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

badhoopty wrote:one of the things that absolutely drives me insane is that everytime i go, i've already done my research online and have their part numbers written down, only to be asked what damn make and model car i have...
I've been there! Go in asking for a headlight and they want to know if it's 4wd, v-8, turbo charged, automatic, and the gear ratio in the tranny and diff. It's an F'ing headling, for X make and model car, what does all that other stuff have to do with it? Don't even get me started on going to a Chevy dealer when you need a GMC part, regardless that the only difference between the two is the emblem on the steering wheel. :roll:
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

adam lancia
Approved Member

Post by adam lancia »

Halgar wrote:
I've been there! Go in asking for a headlight and they want to know if it's 4wd, v-8, turbo charged, automatic, and the gear ratio in the tranny and diff. It's an F'ing headling, for X make and model car, what does all that other stuff have to do with it? Don't even get me started on going to a Chevy dealer when you need a GMC part, regardless that the only difference between the two is the emblem on the steering wheel. :roll:
Not to defend the blatant incompetence that prevails at places like Autozone but, the parts software is very much like, and more often than not, the same as how things are setup on Fram.com or some other site like that. You have to go through the steps of selecting the vehicle basically item by item until the program has narrowed it down to your specific vehicle. I've worked with my uncles at their automotive machine shop since I was 12 (17 years on and off) and there were many times where someone came in asking for a specific part, part number in hand, and it didn't fit their car because they had the wrong info about their own car. When they come back and tell me that I sold them the wrong part, I have to explain to them that they asked for the wrong part. When they ask why I didn't check to be sure it fit their car, I have to tell them that I figured them for bright enough to read (obviously can't say that, but you know what I mean). If I DO happen to double check, they more often than not give me a look that says, "What do you think I am, too dumb to read the information about my own car?!?!?!" Most times it's simply less headache to double check that it's the right part and for those really lazy folks, going through the computer program is easier than looking in that big daunting thick book with all the numbers and letters in it ;) :lol:

Just another perspective to consider when/if you happen to be lucky enough to deal with someone that's got more IQ points than fingers and toes :!: :lol: :mrgreen:

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

As soon as I read the topic title of this thread, a strange deep voice in my head said "Get in the zone.... Autozone." Seriously.

Man, that's some effective marketing. I never listen to the radio.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

MelvinsArmy wrote:As soon as I read the topic title of this thread, a strange deep voice in my head said "Get in the zone.... Autozone."
I'm glad I'm not the only one that had that happen :lol:
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

adam lancia wrote:Not to defend the blatant incompetence that prevails at places like Autozone but, the parts software is very much like, and more often than not, the same as how things are setup on Fram.com or some other site like that. You have to go through the steps of selecting the vehicle basically item by item until the program has narrowed it down to your specific vehicle.
i can somewhat understand this, but if i can find my part number in 30 seconds from autozone.com, it should not take the yahoo behind the counter 5 times as long just to enter in my car information.

i cant tell ya how many times i've watched the screen as they scan the screen and hunt and peck the f-keys, and before too long i'm pointing at what they need to click on and what button to push...

you want to know frustrating?... go to autozone and ask for some 1310 series spicer u-joints... i literally had to go back home, get online, and find a stock application that uses them so i could go back to the parts store and have the kid find them thru the hunt and peck method.

clinehobbies
Approved Member

Post by clinehobbies »

I hate to say it but you have to speek Spanish to get service at Autozone out here in the west. You need a translator if the Bi-lingual associate is off that day. and of course they still have to look the part up once they figure out what you just asked them for.
Have a nice day! :)

87fierogt
Approved Member

Post by 87fierogt »

they messed my sisters car up. my bro is certifed and works fulltime on cars then from 5pm till midnight-1am he runs his own garage which he is working to get the permits to be a biz since he has enough customers. but my sister lives in ohio with her deadbeat husband(well they both are and shes 20 hes 22) who both have no auto know how whatsoever(i dont talk to them at all) and they went to go get a remanufactued battery taking my dads/bros advice it was that or the alternator(it was both). anyway they sold them the wrong battery type and the conversion to put it in(or so they say) the guy puts it on they go to start the car and it was touching the hood due to the wrong batt. and it shorted it out causeing a small electrical fire nothing big they caught it in time but it burnt a circle in the paint. my brother got the car cheap fixed everything my dad payed for it as a presnt and they refused to pay for the damage on a very clean sunfire all they offered was a brand new battery. they are now sueing them as they have no money and the car was the only nice thing they own it looks like its going to work out for them. 90% of them are idiots.
speed r/c taking car of all your rebuilds/restore/used and new custom builds/and anything in between pm me for quotes and`pics of previous builds

Mazdaj
Approved Member

Post by Mazdaj »

I know it's the oldest gag in history...but if you want to mess with them, ask for a radiator cap for a '68 VW Bug or a head gasket for a Mazda RX-7 or RX-8. let's see how good they really are.