Rerelease Grasshopper

The place for all things re-release Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Greenie
Approved Member

Rerelease Grasshopper

Post by Greenie »

I am pretty excited. First new RC purchase in about 10 yrs. I ordered a Rerelease Grasshopper for my 10yr old son for Xmas. (Notice how I stopped buying RC stuff about 10yrs ago AND I have a 10yr old son? LOL)

I wanted a good solid beginner kit that he'll have fun with and he can buiild pretty much on his own. Now I'm going to have to get something so we can run them around together. I'm not putting my Champ or my gold pan back running again. So until I can convince my wife to let me pick up a lightly used B4, I am thinking of tweaking/ building up my son's old Wal Mart RC truck. Anyone else ever take a cheapo car and attempt to build it up? I'd like to leave the radio stuff on it that comes with it. I am more or less just gonna throw a big motor in there and let it rip. LOL Anything I should be weary of when doing this? I don't mind tearing up parts a bit since it's a cheap car. Even if I strip out the gearbox I can deal with it. I'll just have to graft a new one to it. Here's what I'm working with... (Yeah I know, I want to get some good pics like this of my gold pan and my Champ.)

Also, I plan to get lots of pics of the builds. Both of me doing the cheapo project and my son doing the Grasshopper.
Attachments
IMG_0617.jpg

shodog
Approved Member

Re: Rerelease Grasshopper

Post by shodog »

I see tons of used hop grassers for $25-$45 on epay. Speaking form experience, it's more fun if you have the same car your son has.

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

I have to agree with sho-- search around ebay, maybe even your local craigslist, for Grasshoppers or Hornets. We had three going (daughter, son and me) when they first got into r/c. When someone broke we would scab parts off one to keep at least two going most of the afternoon. Now my son prefers the Slash and my daughter would rather fly, but that's another story. :roll:
Good luck!
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

Greenie
Approved Member

Post by Greenie »

Good points! I guess I'll start looking for another Hopper or Hornet. I'm glad I bought his brand new since it's a gift, but I'll look around for a beater on the bay and craigslist. Do you guys realize how much I'm kicking myself right now for giving all my electric RC stuff away about 15 yrs ago??? I will NEVER give away another piece of RC equip. I had a Blackfoot (my first RC), Frog, Falcon, Hornet and TONS of extra parts. Plus radios/ batteries/ chargers etc... Put them in a big box and gave 'em to an old co-worker. I kick myself in the ass about twice a day now for doing that.

Thanks for the help guys!