electric drag motor question

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

cstmp8r

electric drag motor question

Post by cstmp8r »

Hello all. I recently got my drag car up and running and now have a ? maybe somebody can help me with. I am using my old school pdi turbo zeta esc. Now this esc can handle up to 32 cells and multiple mod. motors. Anyways, for my first run I ran it at 14.4 volts and it was pretty damn fast. Then I added another 6 cells to it and it didnt do so well...lol. When I gave it some throttle the motor that is in it (old school too..lol) went ok but smelled kinda funny :lol: . I think what is happening is all that voltage is just arcing around in there and not getting the power out so to speak. Now my question is, is there a motor out there that can handle 36 volts? I know it sounds insane and honestly that is why I am so looking forward to seeing this thing scream down the block..lol.. And yes I will be shooting a vid of this...lol...

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Typical 05 cans cannot handle that much voltage. You probably threw a wind or melted the epoxy.

I raced electric drag cars for a few years in the late 80s, and the most we could safely run on a standard can motor was 10 cells in the Alky dragsters. For 20-cell Top Fuel competition, there were special rare earth magnet drag motors that we ran. AstroFlight comes to mind, as well as a few others. That's only 24 volts, though. 32v is pushing it with anything, but I'm sure there are some brushless heli or airplane motors that could handle it.

You might try the forums at http://www.rcdrags.com for more motor help.

BTW, I ran this car at a clocked time of 2.04 seconds at just under 90 mph in a scale quarter mile indoors on CARPET in 1988. We never backed it up and never promoted it, but the motor manufacturer (Black Magic) did use it as a sales tool for the radical 1hp electric motor that we used.
Attachments
houge_topfuel_002.jpg
Houge Top Fuel Dragster
houge_topfuel_002.jpg (142.5 KiB) Viewed 891 times
Houge Top Fuel Dragster
Houge Top Fuel Dragster
houge_topfuel_002.jpg (142.5 KiB) Viewed 891 times

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

I would also check out the boat scene. I have been out of them for a while, but I remember some of those guys ran insane cell counts. I am sure the water cooling helped though.
He's an idiot. Comes from upbringing. His parents are probably idiots too.