Advice on a New Pickup Truck

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mikedealer
Approved Member

Advice on a New Pickup Truck

Post by mikedealer »

I am in the market for a new car, looking at pickup trucks... need some help lol

I have test drove so far:
Nissan Frontier: didnt like it to be honest..
GMC: didnt like them either pretty boxy and seems behind on the times
Toyota Tacoma: Test drove a black TRD sport package model, liking this one so far..

Can anyone recommend a nice pickup for me to look at/test drive, looking to spend around 30k, i know toyota has been in news lately etc, so if anyone has anything good or bad especially to say abou the tacoma please let me know.. open to any suggestions at this point on any car.

thanks

Halgar
Approved Member

Re: Advice on a New Pickup Truck

Post by Halgar »

When I bought my '02 GMC, I wasn't in the market for a full sized truck, but when Toyota wanted the same amount of money for their God awful uncomfortable truck, I continued on to the GMC dealer and never looked back. Granted, this was back before they F'd up the styling with the lead brick they're shoving off the line now-a-days. What the heck were they thinking with that thing?

Before my '02 GMC I had a '95 GMC that I'd bought new. I loved that truck and still miss it today. Much better truck than the '02, though the '02 has more power. Before that was a used '80 Toyota Hilux that was a serious work horse. I'd buy another Toy because of my experience with the '80, that is, if it's comfortable.
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

its actually pretty comfortable i was surprised, the interior isnt as nice as like a frontier but its a close second...

I like GMC, i just hate that new style... i dont like the dodge ram look but the interior looks terrible...

decisions decisions.. im on the cuff about buying a toyota, i know since the federal government now owns a car company (technically lol), that they are gonna persecute foreign makers like toyota so they can get their loan back, but im still not sure on toyota, would love to hear any experiences about toyota.

or any other car recommendations still

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

I would go for the Dodge Hemi I have an 2004 and it has 100K on it I have only had 1 problem with it in 6years. they have been a hard 6yrs to!! most of it towing car acrossed the country some times 10k :oops: between oil changes. it still drives as nice today as the day I bought it new.
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

I bought a 2007 Chevy Z71 new and am very happy with it. I actually like the new design.

ED

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

We bought an 08 Silverado when gas was $4.25/gallon and the 09 models with the 5-speed (or is it 4?) transmission were coming out. Glad we did-- I hear the new tranny is always hunting for gears around town.
Anyway, none of the import dealers (or I should say import badges as nothing is made exclusively in the States or overseas any more) would budge on their prices. We paid less for a brand new truck than the lease returns were going for. We use it for towing and it's done everything we've asked of it. Granted it is not the most pleasing design ever, but I've always owned vehicles that got me from point A to point B. This one gets me there and I can drag 6,000lbs+ of trailer with me. :lol:
The extended cab is great for the kids and we can even tote full-sized adults for short distances. We've had all 6 spots occupied on many occasions, with a bedfull of soccer or baseball gear. :D
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

Not sure about other trucks out there, but I know for certain the Z71 with a V8 with active fuel mileage gets 19-20 Mpg. Not bad for a full size truck.

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

ive always liked chevy and GMC and GM overall, but their styling just seems to be lacking a bit compared to a toyota/nissan. i am not just using this to haul otherwise GMC/Chevy would be on top of the list, or maybe a f150..

i am going to dealer tonight, sticker on car is 30,887, invoice is something like 27,460, so im gonna try for $28,500ish and see if they bite, they are hurting so im sure they want to move inventory, the longer the car sits on the lot the more interest the dealer pays... and i dont think anything other than corolla's are flying out of dealer's right now

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Just for reference, our sticker was a few bucks south of $29k. With rebates and everything we got them down to $20,000, before trade and the GM card program. We left them a 10-yr-old car with electrical gremlins and rode out with $16k financed. But then again, Impalas were selling for full sticker and they couldn't move a truck at all with the gas prices. :D
Oh, and ours is rwd as we just tow with it. No need for the extra weight of a 4x4. I average 14 mpg daily (mainly around town), get about the same towing and have hit 19 mpg with just passengers on the highway.
Whatever you choose, you should be able to get pretty good deals right now... the dealerships are hungry for sales.
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

mikedealer wrote:i am going to dealer tonight, sticker on car is 30,887, invoice is something like 27,460, so im gonna try for $28,500ish and see if they bite, they are hurting so im sure they want to move inventory, the longer the car sits on the lot the more interest the dealer pays... and i dont think anything other than corolla's are flying out of dealer's right now
No, you're going about it wrong! You don't work down off the sticker or MSRP, you work UP from invoice. I start at $500 and will slowly budge off of that number. My '95 I got at invoice because the dealer was trying so hard to screw me that he forgot to put the agreed upon price ($750 over invoice ) on the contract. My '02 was scored for $750 over invoice with very little haggle and absolutely no bullshift.

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

good advice lol. i will try that then.. went to cars.com to get invoice pricing, not sure how accurate it was but i did add in option packages that were on the car. any better places for that, i would like to go in with some good numbers

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Keep in mind that the dealer is already making money even pushing the thing out the door at invoice, it's worked into the cost of the vehicle. On top of that, there are dealer incentives they also get, so anything you pay over invoice is gravy in their pockets. You might as well keep as much of that gravy for yourself as you can.

Why am I all of a sudden hungry? :mrgreen:

Dirtdiver
Approved Member

Post by Dirtdiver »

I'd start my price at invoice. The worst the dealer can say is no. Tell the dealer you are shopping around and the person with the best deal will get your money at the end. Also tell him, you are not picky and will even look at other brands if they will deal. Tell them to give me your best price the first time around and you will get back to them in a couple of days if they are the winner. Walk out if they keep you there for a long time. Also remember that it is the end of the month/quarter and they should be willing to deal.

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Mike - I own an older Tacoma. Over 150,000 miles and still going with only routine maintenance. In fact, I just replaced the clutch about 6 months ago. Yes, the seats are a little uncomfortable but I think that's been addressed with the newer Tacomas. My Dad has an '06 PreRunner V6 and that's pretty nice. It's big and has plenty of power. Interior is nice too though I've never seen the inside of a Frontier.

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

As long as you're not pulling a giant trailer or hauling loads of bricks.....

I bought a new Ridgeline a couple years ago & have "0" regrets...and yes I got beat up a little by my Ford & Chevy buds....(I still have my Mustang though)

I love this truck.

4 wheel drive, diff lock, airbags everywhere, decent horsepower, most all features that are options on other trucks are standard...& comfy ride is a huge plus.

You can't go wrong with Comsumer Reports magazine...they're usually right, If you're undecided, I'd pick up a copy.

They seem to be digging the full size Chevy this year, it sounds like they've finally upped the quality.

I don't know any Toyota owners that hate their vehicles either..
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...