My first rc10 restoration (pink chassis!)

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

hobbes
Approved Member

My first rc10 restoration (pink chassis!)

Post by hobbes »

Hi guys. I'm new around here, and i'm also going to be restoring my two rc10's throughout the year. Both were found in dumpsters on different occasions, and found their way to my garage...that was about 10 years ago.

Anyway, i'm going to restore the pink chassis rc10 first.

For starters, i had a question about that rear motor plate. It's black. Is it supposed to be pink in the original kit? I'm asking to know whether it had been replaced or not.

Moving on:

here's the chassis unmounted and cleaned. I know the top of the rear still looks dirty, but that is actually glue back there, and i'm kind of afraid of forcing it out as it may chip the paint. The receiver was glued on and by prying it off i actually ripped out a small chunk of paint.

Should i find a matching spray paint and cover the bottom rear area (the totally scratched/sanded area), or should i just leave it be?

I'm going to use this thread to update on the restoration of my car, questions i may have, and pictures of my progression.

Going to bed. Cya!

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Re: My first rc10 restoration (pink chassis!)

Post by LowClassCC »

the motor plate was only offered in gold and black. the pink chassis and nose plate were never offered in a kit. they were available as replacements.

the chassis is not painted it is in fact powdercoated. i personally wouldn't bother trying to paint it. as for the glue try some "goo gone" it will be safe on the finish but strong enough to remove the glue.

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

Looks like a great project. It would be sweet to find rc10's in the dumpster. I'd go dumpster diving every day if I thought there was a remote chance of finding rc cars in them. :lol: Welcome to the forum.
If you are running this car, you might not want to waste time or effort refinishing the chassis (unless you are anal like me :mrgreen: ). On the other hand, if it's for display I'd say the condition of the finish detracts from the overall appearance, rare or not. I'd strip it and refinish it to your liking. Whatever you do, make sure it's what you want - don't do it because someone else said you should.
Gary

hobbes
Approved Member

Post by hobbes »

On the other hand, if it's for display...
nonono, if it has wheels, it has to roll! That's my rule. :wink: I'd drive Gene Hustings handmade rc10 around the track if i had one...or even the first car ever made! :mrgreen:

Besides, i don't have shelves. :P

Yeah, about the dumpster hopping. It's quite weird. Both rc10s were found by 2 different friends of mine. The weird thing is that both of them are russian (but we're in California), and both were found less than a year apart in 2 different locations. Amazingly, an RC10L was found with one of the RC10's. I forget if it was the pink chassis or the gold tub one. It even had a motor, a speed control and a battery stick split in 2 sets of 3 but it looked really old and leaked acid. The speed control works perfectly. Unfortunately i'm missing some parts to that car, such as one of the rear foam wheels and rim, and the differential gear. I'm going to have to restore that baby as well, some day.
the chassis is not painted it is in fact powdercoated.
oh, i knew that. I figured i could just patch up those areas with paint since they're small enough to get away with it. But since i'm going to run it, i'll just leave it as is.

I used goo gone on the entire chassis before that picture, but it simply didn't have the strength to deal with that area. I'll try another round of it and see if it helps.

Thanks for the info regarding the origin of this chassis. I didn't know it didn't come in kit format. That would explain the lack of colored chassis (other than the black one) in the "25 years of rc10" thread.

...I simply can't write short messages...i write so damn much i'm afraid i'm gonna bore people away! :cry:

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

hobbes wrote:...I simply can't write short messages...i write so damn much i'm afraid i'm gonna bore people away! :cry:
Actually, that's a very entertaining story! It's amazing really that you ended up with both of those cars. :shock:
Gary

hobbes
Approved Member

Post by hobbes »

CRUD. I opened my diff gear to clean it, and it's been so long since i put one together i totally forgot of the little balls at the end of the screw. I don't remember if there were 6 or 8, but i'm left with 4 and the remainder dropped. Argh...i'm going to have to spend like a day looking for them. :x

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

Roll a motor around the areas you suspect they will click when hit the side the motor.DON
PS:I keep a telescopic magnetic tool and bolt pickup thingy from any parts or tool store i cant bend over to pick it up i use it to do that it saves me alot of pain and grief in the long run lol.But being there so small its hard to see unless get down on all fours with magnifying glass lol.CB ANTENNA magnet works a wider area at one time too.

hobbes
Approved Member

Post by hobbes »

I put one of the motor magnets on a stick and found them. Thanks!

I've been busy, but here's a snapshot of what i've been up to during my spare time.

I'm doing the other half of the plastics as we speak.

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

The rear end of that car is looking nice! Tell me you didn't put the front end together dirty though... :roll:

EDIT - Oh wait, I see now there are no screws in anything...it's a mockup. :)
Gary

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

I'll never walk by a dumpster the same way again :mrgreen: Looking good...although I would look around for some white parts for the front end so it matches the rear. BUT if you are not worried about, keep on building.

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

after a second look, it seems like the front parts are painted, are they? If so, they can be cleaned up no problem.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

I dont think they are painted, I think they are just that dirty...I've picked up a few that looked worse than that.

Keeps us up to date Hobbes...where are you at in Cali, maybe we can hit a track together sometime.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

hobbes
Approved Member

Post by hobbes »

No parts were painted.

The front end last night.

The front end this morning.
Keeps us up to date Hobbes...where are you at in Cali, maybe we can hit a track together sometime.
Bay area. I'm actually about to head to norcal hobbies to play around the off road track with some 1/10 scale gas buggies i got off ebay. First time ever around an rc track (other than mini z). I'm so excited!

Edit: ended up not going because it was too late and would have gotten only about an hour of fun time.

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

wow, that's a lot of grime :shock: Sick of cleaning yet?

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

nor-cal... :roll:

:mrgreen: Us SoCal guys are pretty spoiled with indoor tracks that stay open late so we can play.

Keep up the good work, that car is looking really good.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com