RC10T back from the dead!

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Vermin
Approved Member

RC10T back from the dead!

Post by Vermin »

I used to race a RC10L on an indoor carpet track back in the early 90's. One of my best friends from highschool was always interested but was more into off-road. He picked up a RC10T and when I wasn't indoor racing, we'd go out and bash on that thing or run it on an old dirt course.

Fast forward 20 years and I get to talking to that old friend about my new RC cars and how awesome brushless motors and lipos are and that he should really check out some of my new stuff. He promptly mentions that he still has that old RC10T sitting in his shed!! Not long after I take possession of not only his 10T but my entire highschool racing toolbox with my old Futaba radio and an assortment of Novak T1's and T4's - as well as some (crusty) old hand soldered battery packs and a few brushed oval racing motors. It was like finding an old friend!

I took that RC10T and stripped it - scrubbed it - threw away all the rusty or questionable parts - re-dye'd all the nylon black (was faded to brown!!!) - and picked up a ton of replacement parts. I'm currently waiting on the Castle SV2/5700kv setup and my receiver and Savox servo .. hopefully be bashing it again by the weekend :)

Here she is as I found her.... ugh...

After getting cleaned up - re-dye'd - mostly reassembled -

And here she is waiting on electronics - Crowd Pleazer body - HPI mesh wheels - and yeah, I totally copied the paint off the early 90's Banks GMC Syclone land speed record truck -

Keep ya'll posted on how she runs. Going to head on over to a local outdoor dirt short course after most of the bugs are worked out :)

CON2
Approved Member

Re: RC10T back from the dead!

Post by CON2 »

Nice job well done. :P

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

very nice looking indeed

i will warn you now...i run a mamba max 5700 in a 10T and have gone through every gear in the tranny several times before eventually changing all the gears to alloy ones. Once you do the same thing :P keep your alloy gears well lubed. Also, and this is a hard one, try not to get trigger happy and ease into the throttle. It will save you money. BTW, I also busted my CVDs due to the amount of tourque.

Have fun :D

Vermin
Approved Member

Post by Vermin »

LOL! Thanks Vintage - I had heard that the Stealth tranny was pretty solid.. but I guess you've found otherwise! If it counts for anything, I'm only going to run 2s :wink:

Where did you find alloy gears for a Stealth trans btw??

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

np, but I also am running 2s lipos :P

I think I found them on ebay, but it's been a few years since then. As any guy would know, that's a long time to remember stuff :?
It might take time for each one to appear, but eventually with some searching you can find them both. Try searching metal, or alloy gear under the radio control section on ebay. I think Robinson Racing is one of the more popular brands that made them.

delsami
Approved Member

Post by delsami »

if you leave the shock towers in black dye long enough, they will turn black
xxx,lunchbox,blackfoot,t4,2 rc10ce's,rc10 graphite,rc10 worlds car,2 rc10 t's,xx4---GONE:mip4wdrc10,rpm worlds,houge rc10,super clod,sand scorcher,f103,frog,xxxt,b2,b3,tc3,jrx2,fox,yr4-m2 usa,yz-10 many more LOL

carlosblr

Post by carlosblr »

perfect restoration, it must be time to clean the entire car. :lol:

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Looks great, love the paint! Reminds me of a Yokomo YZ10 article in an old RCCA!

Vermin
Approved Member

Post by Vermin »

delsami wrote:if you leave the shock towers in black dye long enough, they will turn black
Hrmm, I may try this - I left them in a pretty long time and it didn't have much of an effect. I have a few other parts that didn't want to cooperate much, so I might whip up another batch of dye and let stuff sit in it for a few weeks!

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

looks good vermin, glad you found your way over here. :mrgreen:

Vermin
Approved Member

Post by Vermin »

kaiser wrote:looks good vermin, glad you found your way over here. :mrgreen:
Me too - there is a ton of knowledge on this site - loving it!

Vermin
Approved Member

Post by Vermin »

Welp, she lives :) Been having a lot of fun putting around the parking lot but I have a few issues. Biggest being that the stock slipper is uhhh... overwhelmed.. badly. Soooo, I was wondering if you guys knew if a T4 top input shaft would fit in the old school Stealth trans? That way I could use the newer slipper clutch - hopefully one that is designed for brushless power?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

The T4 top shaft slips right in, but you will have to buy all the T4 slipper parts and spur gear!

On another note, the stock slipper works well with most mild brushless systems! Check your adjustments of the diff (1/8th-1/4 turn out) and slipper (nut flush most times)!

Vermin
Approved Member

Post by Vermin »

Maybe I need to find a new slipper disk? Mine is the original and I think it's some sort of ... rubber .. or something? I've adjusted from where it should be all the way to shimming it and bottoming out the tightening spring.. it doesn't matter - massive slip at full throttle. Even from a half throttle roll, I can punch it and just hear it slipping as it goes by.

I'm not opposed to the T4 setup - but only want to go to it as a last resort :)

Vermin
Approved Member

Post by Vermin »

slotcarrod wrote:The T4 top shaft slips right in, but you will have to buy all the T4 slipper parts and spur gear!

On another note, the stock slipper works well with most mild brushless systems! Check your adjustments of the diff (1/8th-1/4 turn out) and slipper (nut flush most times)!
Okay, now I feel a little silly - it's not the top slipper, it's the lower ball diff. After I re-read what you were saying I went and tightened up the lower diff and it now does wheelies at just about any speed. It's too tight as far as I'm concerned... but it's late.. I'll monkey with it more tomorrow. I already shock-tower slid it upside down for about 75 feet (no body.... yeah) in the dark tonight on the pavement - think I've done enough damage for one day :D