JLX2 Pro - Vintage Hybrid Losi

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

JLX2 Pro - Vintage Hybrid Losi

Post by UltraHIVE »

Hey all, this is my first post. Im a vinyl decal printer / owner / operator and I provide restoration decals for the old school BMX community. I love vintage 80's stuff. BMX & RC are like ying and yang. My first real buggy was a gold pan RC10 first gen with narrow arms and tension bars :) I recently got back into RC, and its vintage all the way for me!

I wanted to share a track runner thats been out performing some of my buddys modern buggys. That title is not a typo (JLX2 Pro)... Its my creation :) Its a JRXT I picked up for 20$, mixed with an X2, a Pro and an LXT. I just started track runing for the first time, last month. Im a veteran hobbyist at 36 but never actually ran a track till recent. Ive been modifying this bad boy from stock with a 5 link, to what you see now, with more upgrades to come. The body is in runner shape, as its seen its share of clay and wall :)

Ok, heres what I did, on the cheap too... JRXT base, LXT arms, JRX Pro tranny / front & rear shocks and towers, JRX2 repro body with my own designed and printed outer decal graphics, drive axles / front axles / tie-rods, Losi 2.2 dish wheels dyed orange with custom Pro style wheel art, and B4 wing mounts. Its got a Novak T4 for now, with an 8t Intellispeed with reverse on the way. Im running a new Birdman 13x3, and an Onyx 3000 7.2v nimh for now, with a 5000 9.6v nimh on the way. Controlled by a 2nd gen Magnum Junior for now, with a Traxxas TQ3 2.4 Link on the way. All these needed upgrades are "on the way", its funny how i was set on keeping EVERYTHING vintage until it started messing with performance. On a side note, I think someone knows my FM channel and keeps messing with me at the track... not for long though :)

Heres some pics, enjoy!

Phaze 1

Phaze 2

Phaze 3

Phaze 4 - Current Phaze

Lonestar
Approved Member

Re: JLX2 Pro - Vintage Hybrid Losi

Post by Lonestar »

Welcome to the board, looks bloody good!

Not sure I read this properly... but if I did, forget about 9.6V nimh, leave this to the traxxas influenceable MT freaks, and run a proper, lighter, more powerful lipo.

Looks gorgeous - superb choice of colors :)

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Post by UltraHIVE »

Thanks! I was once an Emaxx "freak", Dewalt powered 18v 820, IFI Robotics Victor 883, over powered to 24v 4000 Nimh, XTM Big Block extended nitro chassis, extra wide and slammed to the ground with Proline 40's, and street tires. That was before brushless and Lipo. Im good with not making the jump, i like cells and brushes :)

http://www.ultrahive.com/ultraHIVE/images/rc/emaxx5/1.jpg

edit* the Emaxx pic was taking away from the "superstar" of this thread, changed it to a link instead :)

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

mmmh you just ruined the little credibility you had just gained with your killer-looking jlx :lol:

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Post by UltraHIVE »

Lonestar wrote:mmmh you just ruined the little credibility you had just gained with your killer-looking jlx :lol:

Paul
hehe... :)

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

I love that paint job! The JLX creation thingy. Not the Traxxas! ;)
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Post by UltraHIVE »

Heres a shot of a Pro I did with an X2 body. I attempted the Pro box art with some custom flair. It has Duratrax 2.2 wheels with Losi tires, fronts are new old stock Pro tires. Its been updated / downgraded to 5 link since this pic. It now has front mounted rear shocks to hide my body trimming errors, a mini bumper, motor, Tekin 410, Tekin chrome micro receiver, and dyed red drive axles. The wing is just taped onto the wire mount in the pics. Im researching vintage era correct Sayno battery cell labels to reproduce for a modern Nimh. I'll post this Pro separately with updated pics soon. My shelf king :)

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

I don't consider the 5 link a downgrade. I just built what I consider to be the ultimate JRX based car and it has a 5 link.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Post by UltraHIVE »

fredswain wrote:I don't consider the 5 link a downgrade. I just built what I consider to be the ultimate JRX based car and it has a 5 link.
honestly i do feel the same way. i didnt meant it like that, more so as in model components, Pro to Stock, not performance level... My bad :) The 5 link is what attracts me to the car itself, but these offset 2.2 dish wheels are the worst for the 5 link. My stock JRX2 with 5 link has the smoothest suspension out of all my Losi cars.

Anyway check this out, I did this ball bearing mod on the first one I got (which is now the silver one pictured) due to both H shock clips being broken, and the swivel ball holes in the links being really worn out. It worked well, even on the track, except for the RPM ball links on the shock bottoms, which I later upgraded to a hex mounted Dubro style. But again, once I went to 2.2 offset wheels, they would rub too much. I have a stock JRXT on the way, which the only thing Im updating are the tires to factory wheels, to handle the type of clay at the track. The 5 link stays in! :)

rctenracer
Approved Member

Post by rctenracer »

Great looking buggies. Any chance of you making those decals availible in the BST section ? Sorry I just had to ask.

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Post by UltraHIVE »

rctenracer wrote:Great looking buggies. Any chance of you making those decals availible in the BST section ? Sorry I just had to ask.
Thanks.

BST - Buy Sell Trade? Sorry, im new here.

Im not sure how the Admins will take to that considering that one or more make and sell them here. Please email me for now. Thanks.

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

very nice work your Losis are impressive
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Post by UltraHIVE »

bearrickster wrote:very nice work your Losis are impressive
Thanks.

Heres a recent one I finished, same design as the silver one, but this was a painted used body, that i re-trimmed tighter, sprayed on the outside and clear coated. you can tell it was used from the small hole in the front windshield made by the previous owner, behind my windshield decal. I figured to restore it and use it on a soon to come, Jrx Pro Street buggy with an 8T brushed motor. Im using a larger Losi Aurora wing done in the same theme, and dyed lime green 2.2 dish wheels with Custom Works "Striker" style, low profile pavement tires. The darker teal / green color is actually kelly green not teal. My camera stinks and changes colors all the time. I also changed the green in the numbers to an electric blue. My buddy calls it, The Gladiator :)

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

ah ha! your the man off tamiya club, i have seen the ball raced 5 link just the other day. welcome and very nice losi's they are certainly different to look at 8)

Momo5
Approved Member

Post by Momo5 »

Uh yeah! You need to sell those decals in the Buy/Sell/Trade section. I have a Jrx-Pro body that I'd love have decals like that to apply to it.