Gear ratio

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RC Chick
Approved Member

Gear ratio

Post by RC Chick »

forgive me for the stupid question that was probably answered already.

I am really confused as to gear ratio. As some of you have read I have a 10T and a T2. The T2 does not have a transmission, only some parts that came on it. I am trying to figure out if the peices are from the 2.65 ratio tranny or the 2.25 tranny. can some one tell me how many teeth are supposed to be on the diff gear and if there is a difference of teeth from the two trannys or not. Also I am upgrading here soon and I would like to know what the proper gear ratio should be for a 16T motor. I read the spec on associated.com but I am confused because they say with stock it should be between 9 and 11 on a stock configuration. according to their calculator Im at 11.51. Running a 20T, 87 spur, and 17 pinion. I am also wondering if this might be the reason my old ESC heats up very quickly. Anohter question I have is if the ratio number is higher like 13.98 does it go slower producing more torque and the lower 11.51 mean faster? Thanks for the help.

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

The T2 had a 2.6 (2.598 to be exact) tranny compared to the 10t's 2.25. The differences between the trannys were as follows:

-The case (#7375) was completely different and was held in by two horizontal screws the the bulkhead and two screws through the chassis.

-The ratio was 2.6 on the T2 due to it using a larger diff gear (#7664) then the 10T (its actually the same gear as the gas truck). The T2's diff has 52 teeth vs. the 10t's 45t.

-The idler gear in the T2 (6570) is the exact same as the 10t (same part number even).

-The drive gear 6571 20t is also the same for both trucks.

-spur gear 87t (6695) was the standard spur for both although an 81t (6693) was spec'd as an option for the 10t and some kits came with this one instead of the 87t. Not sure why though (mine was one of the 81t kits).

The other obvious differences were that the T2 was all black plastic vs. the 10t's white stuff. Mmmmmm white plastic. Hope that helps. I've also posted the T2 and 10T manuals to my server (in one piece... i know its a bigger files but I HATE having it in three pieces) if you have any other questions.

http://www.erichreichert.com/transfer/manuals

Enjoy!

RC Chick
Approved Member

Post by RC Chick »

Thanks Erich, I have the manuals. I have the original 10T and dowloaded the T2. I just could find anything about how it was different. Thanks for the info though greatly appreciated. I bought my 10T in 93 and mine came with an 87 spur gear. I also got Black plastics not white. Also I got different tires than what it said in the book, I remember thinking they looked better that what they showed in the picture. Thanks for all the help