Associated RC12LW?

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

CAT3K
Approved Member

Associated RC12LW?

Post by CAT3K »

I bought this RC12L a few days ago on ebay. I almost feel guilty at the price i got it for : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Team-Assoaciated-Rc12l-Vintage-pan-car-crc-bmi-xray-/300662717222?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item4600e4fb26

Now the box says it's an RC12L Worlds Edition, but the pictures i've seen of the LW have slightly different front ends and no alloy motor pod. Can anyone enlighten me a bit as this is my first LW.

Paul.

drbelleville
Approved Member

Re: Associated RC12LW?

Post by drbelleville »

Since the L came out they have had the Aluminum motor Mount, the one you have is an Associated optional piece. The front end could have been added later, and seems to be a mix of the Older white nylon and newer black carbon Reactive Caster front end. If you see where the body posts are they are in between the front suspension, on the older front end they were on top of the front end. If you want you can run an later lower chassis (an L3 for example) and run with the body posts out front. All in all you have a solid car there. What are your plans? I can not tell from the picture if those are HPI Star or Jaco Wheels.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Great deal! Yes you have a LW with some added parts (heat sink and front end). You could get a new chassis and some white upper arms and have a sweet RC12LS :idea:

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

drbelleville wrote:Since the L came out they have had the Aluminum motor Mount, the one you have is an Associated optional piece. The front end could have been added later, and seems to be a mix of the Older white nylon and newer black carbon Reactive Caster front end. If you see where the body posts are they are in between the front suspension, on the older front end they were on top of the front end. If you want you can run an later lower chassis (an L3 for example) and run with the body posts out front. All in all you have a solid car there. What are your plans? I can not tell from the picture if those are HPI Star or Jaco Wheels.
slotcarrod wrote:Great deal! Yes you have a LW with some added parts (heat sink and front end). You could get a new chassis and some white upper arms and have a sweet RC12LS :idea:
Thanks for that. My plans are to clean it up and find a nice period bodyshell for it. The wheels are HPI Star.

One thing it does need though is fumigated as it stinks. Not sure of what, it's like stale smoke or maybe just old box smell from storage. Either way i need to make it smell nicer :lol:

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Nice car.... you sure pick up some bargains!

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

DerbyDan wrote:Nice car.... you sure pick up some bargains!
Thanks, i think it's "maybe" because vintage 12th is a bit unloved? I'm not sure why they go so cheaply, but i'm not complaining either :lol:

I noticed the other day that the rear hubs aren't like the others i've seen on 12L's. Are these aftermarket lightened hubs?

Paul.

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

CAT3K wrote:
DerbyDan wrote:Nice car.... you sure pick up some bargains!
Thanks, i think it's "maybe" because vintage 12th is a bit unloved? I'm not sure why they go so cheaply, but i'm not complaining either :lol:

I noticed the other day that the rear hubs aren't like the others i've seen on 12L's. Are these aftermarket lightened hubs?

Paul.
Kent C. might be able to help with the hubs, but I found a lot of times, some people do not know what they have! Yet on the other hands you see 1/12 cars in the bay going for way too much as well. Just have to be the right buyer at the right place at the right time :)