Redcat tak?

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jon burrows
Approved Member

Redcat tak?

Post by jon burrows »

Does anybody have any experience / input on Redcat Racing 1/5 gas cars & trucks? I'm NOT looking for redcat salesman or hardcore redcat enthusiasts views, I can go to a redcat forum for that :lol: . Curious what other drivers, especially old school R/C think. Don't get me wrong, i can argue the overseas junk factor till everybodys blue in the face.
The thing is, I went to three hobby stores the last few days, and all three were pushing Redcat Products. :roll: The price was right (1/3 competing losi prices), and they look ok.
But I gotta say, these things look pretty cool as a secondary basher, and i stress the word SECONDARY, while I'm restoring my rc10's. I'd love a 5ive or Baja SS, but the price to me is just reduculous.
jb

rhino1
Approved Member

Re: Redcat tak?

Post by rhino1 »

I looked at Redcat buggies awhile back. Looked to cheap for me so I spent the extra cash for the BaJa 5b. Never had a problem with it so far. I would still like to have the Rampage Mt. But for half the price its worth a try. And parts are very easy to get. I say go for it once you go gas you"ll never look back.
Those are my toys and no I will not share!

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

the LHS gets alot of people coming in for parts. That could go both ways. Good that alot of people are buying them but bad they are breaking. Seems like alot of the same stuff though. Arms mostly then arm mounts...

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

jon burrows
Approved Member

Post by jon burrows »

I'd love a baja 5b but it's just way outta my price range :( and Yes the MT is bad ass!

I would guess most people are buying them for the price, not dependable quality. When I was racing, I constantly was replacing parts on my cars too, especially Tamiya :wink:

klavy69

Post by klavy69 »

I watched some of the tamiya guys wrencing while I was sitting back waiting for my turn :wink:

Wasn't just tamiya to be fair. I've seen alot of other brands find that fragile model. Alot of it depended on the driving though.

Todd

Rick430JD

Post by Rick430JD »

I bought 2 Redcats (Hurricane XTR and Avalanche XTR) I did some checking before buying. Just a little back ground, I live in a hobby stores desert so I have to drive 1 1/2 hours(north or south) to the nearest hobby store that handles RC's. I called and stopped in to 5 different stores ALL of them said Redcat what junk. So I started asking why!! They all told me that no one has the parts for them!! That was all anyone said that the parts are hard to get! Really this day in age everyone gets parts off-line.. I checked with redcat and they will next day ship if its something you have to have that fast. No I haven't even started my 2 redcats because of the weather and time, but from what I can tell they seem to be built as well as all the other RC's around. Granted I bought the Pro series for all the alum parts and the bigger motors. Don't you think Tamiya and Traxxes where hard to get parts for at one time??
Just my 2 cents
Rick

jon burrows
Approved Member

Re: Redcat take?

Post by jon burrows »

Rick430JD wrote:I bought 2 Redcats (Hurricane XTR and Avalanche XTR) I did some checking before buying. Just a little back ground, I live in a hobby stores desert so I have to drive 1 1/2 hours(north or south) to the nearest hobby store that handles RC's. I called and stopped in to 5 different stores ALL of them said Redcat what junk. So I started asking why!! They all told me that no one has the parts for them!! That was all anyone said that the parts are hard to get! Really this day in age everyone gets parts off-line.. I checked with redcat and they will next day ship if its something you have to have that fast. No I haven't even started my 2 redcats because of the weather and time, but from what I can tell they seem to be built as well as all the other RC's around. Granted I bought the Pro series for all the alum parts and the bigger motors. Don't you think Tamiya and Traxxes where hard to get parts for at one time??
Just my 2 cents
Rick
i agree, they seem to be pretty sturdy. i think a lot of people hate on them because of the price also! im debating the 1/5 dune runner (although i think i already convinced myself to go for it). hope the weather gets better in your are, as for the time...i have about zero time myself.

klavy69

Post by klavy69 »

Rick430JD wrote: Don't you think Tamiya and Traxxes where hard to get parts for at one time??
Don't know about tamiya but Traxxas has always been easy to find parts for. Alot of times you can get parts for a new model before you can get the actual rtr truck.

Found one of the locals this weekend who still messes with one of his redcats and says they are easy to get part for if you don't mind waiting. Alot of time the place he deals with(assuming its a distributor) has to order the parts but he has little time to mess with his so its not a problem having to wait. Also found out he has been buying up alot of locals broken stuff so he might be onto something :wink:

To me, if you like it you should buy it. There is issues with almost every brand name out there anymore anyway.

Todd

jon burrows
Approved Member

Post by jon burrows »

good advice

Rick430JD

Post by Rick430JD »

To me, if you like it you should buy it. There is issues with almost every brand name out there anymore anyway.

Todd[/quote]

Very well put!! ((((ford/CHEVY)))) I liked the truck and car so now they are sitting on my wife's NEW dinning room table!! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All I need now is Mother nature to give in for a couple days..

Rick

rhino1
Approved Member

Post by rhino1 »

so now they are sitting on my wife's NEW dinning room table!! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rick[/quote]
Thats where I use to put my baja until my wife put her foot down.

Rick430JD

Post by Rick430JD »

Rhino1 : Good think my wife is easy going then!!! :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol:

Hope the foot wasn't down on your baja :cry:

Jon Burrows: That's a big buggy! WOW bet it moves!!

Rick

rhino1
Approved Member

Post by rhino1 »

Rick430JD wrote:Rhino1 : Good think my wife is easy going then!!! :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol:

Hope the foot wasn't down on your baja :cry:

Jon Burrows: That's a big buggy! WOW bet it moves!!

Rick
Its in the garage now safe and sound. And yes it moves it will leave ruts in the yard.

Rick430JD

Post by Rick430JD »

Its in the garage now safe and sound. And yes it moves it will leave ruts in the yard.[/quote]

Lets see some pictures Rhino1 !!
Rick

rhino1
Approved Member

Post by rhino1 »

I got a wild hair today and traded it at the hobby shop for a new TMaxx and 3 new Tamiya tg10 chassis. I know that was crazy but the wife constantly complained about it being to big and obnoxious.