New Guy

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

HDMM

New Guy

Post by HDMM »

Hi everybody, I've been lurking here for awhile and finally decided to sign up. This is my original RC10 that I bought and raced in 1987. I would like to restore it to near original and get it running again. Right now I'm trying to find a set of front jelly bean wheels for it.

k9subsea

Re: New Guy

Post by k9subsea »

Howdy I am new here as well, nice to meet you. Where you from?

joel45acp
Approved Member

Post by joel45acp »

Welcome to the madness. :lol: If you're considering racing it, I'd look for something other than the "jelly beans". I'm sure the other "madmen" with far greater Jedi skills than me, will chime in and point you in the right direction. The most important thing about this hobby is...................HAVE FUN!
In Christ,

Joel C.

HDMM

Post by HDMM »

I might birng it to the indoor track once in a while, but nothing serious. A friend of mine also has a gold pan, if we can get a couple more the owner of the track said he would setup a class for them. BTW, I'm from Colorado Springs, CO

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

Welcome to the crazy house lol DON

Harrylarry
Approved Member

Post by Harrylarry »

Let the madness begin.

HDMM

Post by HDMM »

I've already been going crazy trying to find a set of jelly bean front wheels!

The price on Ebay are rediculis...

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

no one ever said vintage r/c was cheap. :wink:

HDMM

Post by HDMM »

Cheap is one thing, reasonable is another!

I'm gonna get some JC Racing wheels and a new bearing set from Boca so I can run the car, but I would like original wheels for display. I also have a new original style body and wing on order. Also need to get another receiver for my Futaba 4PL so I can use it with this car or.....I can use a old Traxxas am radio I have

Bent
Approved Member

Post by Bent »

Welcome aboard! An Welcome to the Addiction.

READ the rule's. And enjoy the hobby man. When you gain Bst holler I have a set of jellys and receiver ill sell that you can race with.

Now as far as restoring the old car. I dont know about the tub but others on here will. Start off by tearing the car into a million pieces. Then clean all parts in soap and hot water. After you've done that put the white parts in peroxide bath and set them in the sum for a while (it took my trans 13HRS and it was like new again). Then go to the scans and archives section and there is a good read up there on how to rebuild your transmission. After you have done that, rebuild and clean the shocks and get your tub cleaned so you can proceed with the rebuild. After all the White parts are to your liking and you have rebuilt everything go by a sheet of clear lexan from your LHS, cut it to fit the chassis (use a lighter and slowly heat the the lexan up where there nose plate kicks up to get the lexan to form to that, then drill your screw holes, this will protect the chassis from further damage) 4.00 is a small price to pay to protect the chassis, and is cheaper than PL trays. Thats all I can think of right now.

s0000000000000.............

ENJOY!
You run me in the grass imma run you in the wall, drive like a racer not a flippin idiot

THIS PLACE ROCKS!!!!

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Welcome, have fun emptying your pockets! :mrgreen: JK! You have a nice car to boot!

HDMM

Post by HDMM »

Got the 'ol girl running this afternoon, cleaned it up a little, tightened up some stuff, installed a Futaba R2104GF receiveer that I had, a Futaba S3305 servo, a Traxxas XL5 ESC (yeah...I know...I wish I had something else) and a old Trinity 27t Epic Stocker witha 10t pinion I picked up. I also put some 45wt oil in the shocks, since they were all empty. The little car goes pretty good! :mrgreen:

Just waiting on my body and wing!

toyowner

Post by toyowner »

I got wheels if you still need them.

Been a while since I've logged on.

Good to see new people.

Jerry in Nebraska

CUDDZILLA
Approved Member

Post by CUDDZILLA »

Welcome aboard!

RE:Jellybean wheels-An unfortunate side effect of people being fans/fanatics of the RC10 is that we drive the market on Ebay. Some nimrod gets an RC10 with goodies on it, they break it into pieces, and sell the individual pieces for as much as they can get. Why? Because people who are passionate about these cars will pay for what they want. It sucks but it's true. I contacted a seller "Valkyrie-RC" and asked why his prices were ridiculously high($30 for an aluminum trans bearing cover). He simply said it's because people will pay it. I personally would like to spend a week kicking the %$#@ out of him.

Why am I telling you this? If you're going to by specific parts on Ebay, be prepared to pay a premium price for them. Hopefully you can find what you need here in the B/S/T section.

Good luck and welcome to the fun house!

Bent
Approved Member

Post by Bent »

CUDDZILLA wrote:Welcome aboard!

RE:Jellybean wheels-An unfortunate side effect of people being fans/fanatics of the RC10 is that we drive the market on Ebay. Some nimrod gets an RC10 with goodies on it, they break it into pieces, and sell the individual pieces for as much as they can get. Why? Because people who are passionate about these cars will pay for what they want. It sucks but it's true. I contacted a seller "Valkyrie-RC" and asked why his prices were ridiculously high($30 for an aluminum trans bearing cover). He simply said it's because people will pay it. I personally would like to spend a week kicking the %$#@ out of him.

Why am I telling you this? If you're going to by specific parts on Ebay, be prepared to pay a premium price for them. Hopefully you can find what you need here in the B/S/T section.

Good luck and welcome to the fun house!

Couldnt say it better my self. Thats exactly why I spend hours on hours shopping around.
You run me in the grass imma run you in the wall, drive like a racer not a flippin idiot

THIS PLACE ROCKS!!!!