HELP IDENTIFY Random 1/8th Nitro??

Need something identified? This is the place.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

HELP IDENTIFY Random 1/8th Nitro??

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Hi guys,

When I went to pick up the keys to my new house today, I glanced into the window of my local junk shop (first mistake). I spotted a whole bunch of things of interest and have bought amongst others a Mardave Meteor, PB Mini Mustang and a really old 1/8th Nitro car.

I bought the lot for some vintage electronics and some other parts. But I now have these cars to sell. I pick them all up tomorrow but here are some pics I nicked from TC and ebay :wink:

The PB Mini Mustang is in immaculate condition having only been run onroad, it has a spare uncut unpainted shell and many spares. Paint the new shell and it'd be restored!

The Mardave Meteor has been used, shows light scuffing underneath, has a bunch of spare shells, wheels and other bits and its original box and manual. It would be a very easy restore.

The 1/8th Nitro car needs identifying and some TLC, it has been used but the tires look excellent and the motor belt is similarly great condition, alloy wheels, rail chassis, basic spring suspension, motor has good compression...it's from about the 70's-80's...here are some similar examples thought not the same...

Can anyone help me out (real pictures to follow tomorrow) as there aren't any of these cars listed on ebay and I have no knowledge of them. I am searching Tamiyaclub at the moment and learning as much as I can but any reference sites or insight by RC10talk members would be greatly appreciated.

I would like these to go to good homes, help me out :D

Tadracket
Approved Member

Re: HELP IDENTIFY Random 1/8th Nitro??

Post by Tadracket »

I do believe that last pic is a Kyosho. I use to have one just like it. Kinda like a 2 wheel drive version of the landjump. The engine clutch slips right into the bell on the tranny. I would love to get that from you. Let me know what you are interested in selling it for or if you take some trade.
He's an idiot. Comes from upbringing. His parents are probably idiots too.

tulsa
Approved Member

Post by tulsa »

you got a pm :D :D :D

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

I have to make this quick as I am at work and I have slashed my finger badly which makes it very painful to type...

So I went and picked everything up yesterday and have taken pictures of the lot and can make a more accurate description....

Firstly though, all the cars are in as found condition except I changed the foams on the off-road cars to their respectivce box art wheels as I hate foams. For the two electric cars I charged a battery, lifted the wheels off the floor and turned them on. They both appear to be fine as the steering turns and the wheels spin. I have not run them though as I don't have space or time. The cars will not be inlcuded with the electronics as I need them for my projects, they aren't anything special but they work...

Ok firstly the PB car...

It may not be a Mini Mustang as I believe that is a 4wd car. It has the gearbox and could be a 4wd car but it doesn't have the front gearbox internals??? The front hub carriers are 4wd but the axles have no outdrives?? It looks exactly like a Mini Mustang which is 4wd though. The chassis has been trimmed really well with only a couple of marks. There is another chassis included which is uncut and appears to be unused but might have been assembled at one time as some of the screw holes are dark.The plastic parts show no marks from running and with it coming on foams, I believe it has been partially restored to on-road use. It has many spares some new like the dogbones and bumper and some lightly used like the a-arms and wheels, it has 3 shells, one used with a couple of small splits, one very lightly used, one new uncut and unpainted, 3 wings, one painted and mounted, one painted and partially cut, one new and unpainted/uncut, two under trays, one painted and mounted, one painted and uncut...some pics...

Secondly the Mardave Meteor, this is a huge lot, the car is lightly used with the normal scratches to the chassis. The plastic parts on this car show no wear from my cursory examination. This car has the later edition rear bumper. There are 5 shells with this car, the one it has been run with box art style with stickers which has some splits. A replacement which is un run, unpainted but partially cut and drilled. One new uncut, unpainted box art style body. One optional uncut body of a slightly different style with side pods. One Lexan racing body the same as the side pod one, uncut and unpainted. An uncut un painted lexan wing. Some lexan window glass. Tons of new and used wheels, off-road spikes and foams, majority unused (see pic). It has its box and all manuals. This car has many new and used spares, used shocks, new, shock re-build kit (everything except the shock bodies), new diff, new updated rear arms, used charger, etc. The manuals are great condition and the box has some tears...some pics...

Finally the mystery nitro car, it doesn't have a makers name as far as I can see. It looks like an early version of the Kyosho I posted before as it is all metal including the wheels, but I believe most nitro cars looked like this at that time so that doesn't help. Any help with an ID? Know anyone into this sort of car? It appears to have been used once or twice with very very light scuffing underneath. The tires show little to no wear and are uncracked and soft. It is filthy with caked on oil and dirt at the rear. The alloy parts show very light surface corrosion and dried sticky residues. The steel parts have rusted lightly. There is no shell or roll cage and unfortunately no radio box top, everything else seems good, the motor turns and has good compression, I have no way to check it all though as nitro is not my thing...some pics...

Ok that's everything I can think of, it really caned to type all that but I have been as honest as possible, so please help me out as I had to buy this lot to get the bits I needed which aren't pictured.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Ed

P.S. I have no internet over the weekend

Triniboy
Approved Member

Post by Triniboy »

Shame I just sold off my Meteor project for £50 on ebay. It had the lexan body, the upgraded intermediate gear with the bearings in it, the white long front suspension arms. The only things I was missing were the axles with the nuts and and a LWB chassis. It had spanking new red wheels. The meteor was my first RC car and I loved it but then my MUm bought me a YZ870C then my love turned to Yokomos.

I will get another meteor one day they are bullit proof but a bit noisey though.

Varma

tulsa
Approved Member

Post by tulsa »

ed, you got a pm...............

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Ed, That is not a Mini Mustang, I believe it is a Maxium (not up on my PB products, but I know for sure it is not a MM). Nice stuff.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

Triniboy
Approved Member

Post by Triniboy »

Mr Lexan is correct it looks like a PB Maxima with a Mini Mustang body on.

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

That nitro buggy has got to be of historical significance.

The closest thing I could find was this microscopic picture of a Kyosho Deluxe Chassis kit from 1974:

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Dont think it is a Maxima at all.

Actually looks like a bit of a "bitsa". It obviously started life as the "poverty" 2wd version of the Mini Mustang. For some reason the owner appears to have added Maxima bodies, and a later chassis to it - and left the kit version of the original chassis and body untouched. (going by the pictures anyway!).

Nice find indeed...........Love the Mini Mustangs.

Good one mate.

Cheers

Darryn Johnson
TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING - YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

I agree with Darryn, it's a Mini Mustang which was available as both 2wd and 4wd, with single and two speed versions of them.

Chassis and shock mounts on it are Maxima parts, the spare chassis is Mustang.

The 1/8th is a Hobby Products Texas Wild Baja.

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

terry.sc wrote:
The 1/8th is a Hobby Products Texas Wild Baja.
Ooooh, it's ooogly! I like!

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Wow, I knew RC10talk.com members would deliver the goods 8) , well done guys and thank you very much. I can't believe even the 1/8th was I.d.'d in the end well done Terry, you get bonus points :wink:

I will reply to everyone's pm's and emails asap but I must start my Monday's work now...

Speak soon.

Bye

Ed

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

Well the 1/8th buggy wasn't that hard as I'd identified one of them on Tamiyaclub a few weeks ago, so it was just a case of checking back there to confirm the pics.

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Hi guys,

Well I have pm'd everyone who might be interested in these cars, sorry it took a while as I am busy moving into my house finally (you should see the hobby room :wink: )

If anyone is interested still, it would appear that the Hobby Products Texas Wild Baja also came in a Porsche 930 Turbo form (unless there is something on the chassis identifying it as one or the other, Terry?)

Picture stolen from at rc-track's showroom on Tamiyaclub, muahahahahhaha

Cheers

Ed