Fairly new to RCs, T4 Question.

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

b0x
Approved Member

Fairly new to RCs, T4 Question.

Post by b0x »

I know this is a vintage site, but I figured you guys could help.

I had a gold tub that I wound up selling because I didnt know enough to mess with it. I think I know enough now to at least be adequate.

I wanted something smaller and light than my e-savage, so I picked up an abused t4, complete with batteries (3 sticks), esc, tx, rx, and motor for under 100 bucks. It has titanium turnbuckles, threaded shocks, and CVDs. It was not well taken care of, but it isnt in bad shape. I gave it a bath and dyed some wheels for it, it cleaned up pretty well.

I have a few questions though. When I got it, the body mounts were screwed into some unoccupied shock-mount holes on the shock tower, were not tight at all, and swiveled all over the place. I knew that couldnt be right, so I put them where they are designed to go, and now neither of the bodies I have are even close to touching them. They both hit the top of the shock tower long before they reach the mounts. I was wondering if this was common and how people got around it. Is the shock-mount hole method normal? Are the bodies I have just retarded? Any pics would be appreciated, Ill get some up if anyone is confused.

Next, it cant with a Novak Tempest II Pro ESC. All I know is that it doesnt have reverse. Can anyone give me any other info? Vintage?

The E-savage was my first ever RC. A friend gave me the gold tub not too long after. This is my first foray into the 2wd/6 cell/single brushed motor realm. Any thing else important I should know?

Claymore5150
Approved Member

Re: Fairly new to RCs, T4 Question.

Post by Claymore5150 »

Sounds like the body needs to be trimmed out for the shocks and towers.

You can go to the AE website and they have all of the manuals online. Here is a link to the T4 manual, parts listing, drawings, etc.

http://www.teamassociated.com/shusting/CatalogHub/cathub_offroad.htm

For the Novak ESC...try hitting up this website. They should have all of the technical stuff that you could possibly need. Keep in mind that your ESC might not be "unlimited". Motors with lots of turns (17+) can normally be run on standard ESCs. Any motor with LESS turns than 17 you need to check to make sure the ESC can handle it. Less turns is more acceleration/power which means the ESC has to be that much better to handle it.

http://www.teamnovak.com

And most importantly....NEVER NEVER NEVER give up a gold tub if it's decent. :P

Hope that helps you out some.
Itchy Trigger Finger and RC Throttle Junkie
R.O.C.C.K. Proud Member
B.B.R.C. Proud Member

94CErunner/T2runner/2wd Slash LCG/

danglenode
Approved Member

Post by danglenode »

HI It almost sounds to me like the stock body mounts where not used in order to run older or different bodies not meant to go on a T4. The rear body mounts should be there own pieces attached to the stealth tranny and the rear shock tower. As per the front, there should be two separate mounts that come off of the front shock tower towards the front of the truck.

Hope this helps.

b0x
Approved Member

Post by b0x »

Heres what the front of my truck looks like:

You can see where the mounts are, where they are supposed to go. When I got it, they were up on the lowest shock mount hole, swivelling around. I thought that there might have been something with different ages or models but I wasnt sure. I will check out AE site for the manuals, I forgot about that.

Both bodies I have have holes right over top of the mounts, proper size, proper width. Maybe I have a shock tower taller than normal?

As for the esc, I tried to go the site last night and it was down, Ill try again.

I had an almost mint gold tub with a wide front end, aluminum bellcranks, race prep motor, and aluminum 3 pieces wheels... I should have never let it go...

b0x
Approved Member

Post by b0x »

I looked a little bit closer, and it looks like the bodies are too long. I can get the front to fit fine, it doesnt hit the shock towers, but then the back isnt line up. The 'pockets' for the shocks are too far back, as are the holes. I also looked at the t3, and it looks like the front body holes are totally different. Is there another truck that uses a slightly longer body? Does a shortened version of the t4 exsist?

Also, I still havent been able to get on the novak website. Anyone else had any luck in the last day or two?

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

seems to be working for me:

http://www.teamnovak.com/index.html

b0x
Approved Member

Post by b0x »

Its working now, thanks.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

bOx, are the shock tower pockets at the very rear of the body, or is the 2~3 inches before the rear end? Sounds like you may have the GT body, not the T4 body.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

b0x
Approved Member

Post by b0x »

It is not a GT body, the pockets are further up, like all the other t4 bodies I have looked at.

The one I have is definately a crowd pleazer for the t4. All the specs I can find on it match my own measurements. Its just like my truck is too short. I dont know how that is possible. I looked it over very closely and everything looks normal... I just dont get it. Its listed as 15.5" long on tower, but mine is only about 14". It also says the wheelbase is 11.25" (which I assume is axle to axle), and mine is about 10.5". The tub itself is about about 10.5" or 10.75", which is shorter than what is listed on tower, which is 11 5/8".

My truck, and it appears my tub specifically, is definately shorter than any of the dimensions I have seen listed. This is turning out to be a mystery. Anyone care to get some measurements of their own? Any other thoughts/ideas?

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

B4 tub...?

b0x
Approved Member

Post by b0x »

Good call temple, that appears to be exactly what it is. The measurements on tower match the ones I am getting. Could that have happened at the factory, or would it have to have been intentional? Thanks guys.