Can someone please help

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Meanee
Approved Member

Can someone please help

Post by Meanee »

Hi I have just joined up and am needing some help.....I have an 1/8th Tamiya mini shell and was wanting to put it on a FF03 chassie. I was wanting to keep with the classic setup for a Mini with Fwd.
I dont have a chassie so Im going to have to buy one.
I have been looking at a catalogue and think the front might stick out to much?

I need to know what the distance from the centre of the front axel to the front of the closest point of the engine and to the front of the engine mount.

can you tell me if i could modify the front in anyway to come with in the approx 60mm I have from the front axel to front of the shell.

Cheers in advance
Tamiya:
Ford F150 Ranger, Wild Willy, Top Force, Blackfoot, Tg10 1/8th Mini, M-01 Mini, FF03 Fwd Mini
Kyosho:
Turbo Optima Mid SE, Turbo Optima, Ford RS200 Nitro, .49 nitro mini, 1/10 electric mini, Petite Mantis Gp mini, Fwd 1/10 mini

j-sou
Approved Member

Re: Can someone please help

Post by j-sou »

For starters, are you sure it's 1/8 scale? I don't remember Tamiya ever making a 1/8 scale Mini body.
Tamiya did have a Mini kit on a FWD chassis. I think it was a M03, and the re-re on a M05? I've got a couple of the M chassis here, but not in the FWD configuration, so thats not much help I guess. A friend of mine has the M03 based Mini. I can ask him to bring it over the next time he stops by if needed. It might even be the same body you have if it's actually 1/10 scale.

Edit: I see in your sig that you have a lot of Mini's! Any 1:1? My friend in Taiwan just bought a 1990 Mini there. Hard to find over there.
-I never said I knew what I was doing, I just said I was gonna do it!"

Meanee
Approved Member

Post by Meanee »

The 1/8th Mini runs on a standard 1/10 TG10 chassie 4WD nitro.
I have been able to get another shell for it this is why im looking for a chassie.
Here it is next to my 1/10 minis.

The answer is yes I have about 9 1:1 scale minis.
These minis aint that hard to find just depends on what you want to spend.
I have a big passion for them My first one ive had for 20 years.
Here is a pic......ya can see y the others are all blue...hehe

Cheers
Tamiya:
Ford F150 Ranger, Wild Willy, Top Force, Blackfoot, Tg10 1/8th Mini, M-01 Mini, FF03 Fwd Mini
Kyosho:
Turbo Optima Mid SE, Turbo Optima, Ford RS200 Nitro, .49 nitro mini, 1/10 electric mini, Petite Mantis Gp mini, Fwd 1/10 mini

j-sou
Approved Member

Post by j-sou »

Oooh I see. I had no idea they made a 1/8 scale mini. Tamiyaclub might be more help for specs on that chassis.

Your RC collection is like mine! I'm into VWs and 90% of my r/c stuff is VW based.

Meanee
Approved Member

Post by Meanee »

Hey ya.
Thanks I have found the info.
Beetles are cool also. Apart from the signature what others do you have?

We as a family would like a Kombi van.

i have seen the willies Kombi......its sooo cool.
Tamiya:
Kyosho:

j-sou
Approved Member

Post by j-sou »

Meanee wrote:Hey ya.
Thanks I have found the info.
Beetles are cool also. Apart from the signature what others do you have?

We as a family would like a Kombi van.

i have seen the willies Kombi......its sooo cool.
There's only a couple VW specific R/C cars that I don't have (PB Bullit, IMAI Beetle, etc) but for the most part, if it's VW related, I have it. Here's an old pic of some of them in the garage. Took this pic soon after we moved in and I was getting the garage sorted out. I've got display cases in my office too for some of the nicer cars.

I had to get one of the Kombi's when they came out! I got an extra body set too, and designed my own street chassis to fit that body.

Glad you found the info you needed. Is the FF03 going to work for you?

Doomed
Approved Member

Post by Doomed »

:shock:

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

8)

Meanee
Approved Member

Post by Meanee »

Your garage is sweeet.......can I please live in there.
That Kombi is going to be one cool street machine when you have done the with it.

R you custom making the chassie for it?

the Ff03 chassie might be fine without the bumper......got my eye on one will keep you updated.
Cheers for the pic of your collection......i keep looking at it. hehe
Tamiya:
Kyosho:

j-sou
Approved Member

Post by j-sou »

Thanks! The garage looks terrible right now though. Everything is covered in plastic sheet as I'm adding on a small work storage area. It almost ready for paint though.

The chassis is all custom made. One of the shops I design for has a hydrajet, so I'm always up there cutting parts and stuff. It was a little bit of trial and error, but came together pretty well.
that was the first run of parts. Since then I changed the top plate (as seen a couple posts up) to two piece, and made new side plates for the rear pod so I could get the ride height leveled out with the front better.

Keep us posted on the FF03. Seems like a cool chassis to hide under a Mini!

Meanee
Approved Member

Post by Meanee »

That Kombi is looking better.....any update?
It must be good to have someone that can hydra jet for you.

I got a FF-03 chassie the front of the chassie comes out the front of the shell.....I have just cut the old shell that I have for the mo.

I think I will modify the front of the chassie to see if I can get it inside the shell. will prob have to run without a bumper.
Tamiya:
Kyosho:

Meanee
Approved Member

Post by Meanee »

Hey j-sou...just looking at your pic of your garage.....you have 2 kyosho rc beetles red and turquise one is the turquies one a gas rwd? do you know when it was made??
Tamiya:
Kyosho:

j-sou
Approved Member

Post by j-sou »

Sadly no update on the Bus. I've been busy working on a small storage/work area in the garage. It's almost done though, just finishing up some storage shelves and painting, then I can wrap up a few unfinished projects like the Bus. I've got another Bus going too and will put some pics up soon.

The Mini looks great on that chassis. Looks like you could modify the front a little and get it all to tuck under the body. Do they still make that body?

The Beetle's are from 1990-1991. I've got several of them, the NIB nitro has 1990 printed on the box, the NIB electric one has 1991. I've also got a new built electric, a runner, and probably another chassis or two.
Do you have one of the Mini's they sold based on that same chassis?

Meanee
Approved Member

Post by Meanee »

Yip the plan will be to modify so it will fit. This is a new chassie...the body was discontinued but i managed to get a couple of the last ones avaliable.
Pic of the chassie without the shell.

I bought 2 of the ep chassie in 199? one I have lost a few bits which hav broken or I used to keep the good one going.

For my birthday my wife got me this Nib.......its the middle one in the three in the pic above.

The one closest to the camera is my gp version has the same body kit as the ep one. the one furtherst away is a mantis chassie by Kyosho has the fwd gp. it runs the same body as the other 2.

Tamiya:
Kyosho: