fireguy's Super Blackfoot

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

fireguy14
Approved Member

fireguy's Super Blackfoot

Post by fireguy14 »

Well, it arrived Thursday. Poor shipping to say the least. I was at work, but when the kids called to say good night my wife told me it was on the porch when they got home. She didn't know what was in it, but something had poked thru the box. I got home yesterday and realized that the rear body posts were punched thru. Real scared at that point. Opened it, and quite surprised there was no damage I could find. Body and chassis crammed in together, rest of pieces in baggies or loose. At least 2 of the bags had ripped, so most of the screws were loose in the bottom of the box!

Both sets of wheels are complete. For whatever reason one of the chrome wheels is sloppily painted red. The other set I thought was red, turns out they are bright pink.

fireguy14
Approved Member

Re: fireguy's Super Blackfoot

Post by fireguy14 »

Here is the Super 'foot body. Could not tell from auction pictures, but the lower part of the left front fender is broken. Did not run across the piece in the shipping box anywhere, and it does appear to be an older break. Top is cracked a bit around the sunroof. Those may have occured during shipping as the top was against the side of the box, and was not wrapped.

fireguy14
Approved Member

Post by fireguy14 »

And the chassis. Not sure what exactly was going on here, but was kind of a mess. 3 of the shocks are replacements, and one of them is shorter than the others. Caused the rear end to sit very askew. I have taken the speed control and receiver off, put one of the original friction shocks on the left rear, and added the sleeves and missing hardware to the right side rear shock. Sits more level now. Need to get a copy of a manual so I can see what is supposed to go where, and what might be missing.

squirrelnutz
Approved Member

Post by squirrelnutz »

Nice, are you going to keep it stock and put it on the shelf or make it a runner? My Super BF is running an EZ-run 4300kv brushless motor. With slightly smaller tires, that motor has plenty of speed and power.

fireguy14
Approved Member

Post by fireguy14 »

I am not totally sure how far to go with it. Mainly as I am still learning about these. I can tell ya that it will get run. Far too gone to be a shelf queen, and I bought it to play with it. Did get it running, not too bad. Have taken it apart, does not appear to have been run very hard at all. Diff was fairly clean in side. Front end seems like it took a hard lick or two. Gotta do some straightening on a couple of parts, and would like to source out a new set of radius rods. Body was pretty scratched up, and missing the tailgate. Considering painting it, and have a Parma BigFoot body for it. And I did manage to screw up drilling the mounting holes - they were too far back. I thought about it, drilled them again. So yes, it will have 3 extra holes in the body, but it was a toss up as to whether that or sitting too far forward would look goofier. Have another running 540-SD to put in it, then go from there. As for the broken body mounts, I am using a set from an original BF until I get replacements.

uniquenamehere
Approved Member

Post by uniquenamehere »

I love Blackfoots (Blackfeet?). I bought and rebuilt a King Blackfoot when I was living in Munich. Lots of good memories doing that from when I build my original Blackfoot back in the 80s.

Enjoy the process!

fireguy14
Approved Member

Post by fireguy14 »

Here it is painted:

Still want to mask and paint the bed cover semi-gloss black. But I really like the way it turned out. And am planning on painting the wheels, either aluminum or white. Have another chassis to paint in black, then will switch everything over to the new chassis, replace bearings, etc. Still looking at adding oil shocks to it. Oh, and have added a Duratraxx Intellispeed esc to it. Now to find some dirt to run it in!

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

Nice! The Super really is the best of the Blackfoot bunch, with the stronger gearbox and wider track than the original, but still keeping the Frog-style front end and stepside body. Should be a great runner for you.

BTW, the pink wheels are from a Bush Devil, which was a sister model to to the Super Blackfoot. Had a lexan Ford Ranger body, blue chassis parts in place of the red, and for some reason only Tamiya knows, hot pink wheels.

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

markbt73 wrote:Nice! The Super really is the best of the Blackfoot bunch, with the stronger gearbox and wider track than the original, but still keeping the Frog-style front end and stepside body. Should be a great runner for you.

BTW, the pink wheels are from a Bush Devil, which was a sister model to to the Super Blackfoot. Had a lexan Ford Ranger body, blue chassis parts in place of the red, and for some reason only Tamiya knows, hot pink wheels.

yea the wheels in the first pic are not bush devil . i have a bush devil and the wheels are solid . i bet the wheels in pic are old imex but im not sure..

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

longboardnj wrote:
markbt73 wrote:Nice! The Super really is the best of the Blackfoot bunch, with the stronger gearbox and wider track than the original, but still keeping the Frog-style front end and stepside body. Should be a great runner for you.

yea the wheels in the first pic are not bush devil . i have a bush devil and the wheels are solid . i bet the wheels in pic are old imex but im not sure..
I stand corrected. Didn't notice the holes at first. Imex, huh? I have a pair of lime-green rears in the original style like this, didn't know who made them.

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

I stand corrected. Didn't notice the holes at first. Imex, huh? I have a pair of lime-green rears in the original style like this, didn't know who made them.
yea im not 100% sure if its imex but my local hobby shop had imex lime greens so i bet they made pinks too