project cancelled - ignore

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

kink
Approved Member

project cancelled - ignore

Post by kink »

Edit:

Ignore this thread. Project cancelled as my ideas changed completely half way through this unfinished build.

New carbon build thread is coming...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This will be my first rc car since 1995 and my first ever RC10. I have admiried these buggies since the original gold pan but never got around to owning one. I was distracted with 1/8th rallycross back in the day, so this purchase was long overdue! What I love about the RC10 is the simplicity. It is also a lovely looking machine even in standard form. When various upgrades are applied, such as alloy wheels, it can look of the charts stunning, as you all know. So I am very excited about the new car on it's way to me now... an RC10 World's with the A&L trailing arm rear suspension. The car is a fairly mint example to start with, however I plan on doing various things to it. This is where I will need your expert help and advice...

I am currently undecided what I wish to do. I could keep it 100% standard and just try and buy key spares for it. Then I could run it ocassionally on grass with y little girl, Lili. However it will spend 95% of it's time on display. So I expect it to look mint as new. I'll have to be careful when it is used. I expect I may add some protection to it, such as a lexan undertray to avoid scuffs.

The other option is to upgrade it heavily. That way I could run it more and not worry about spares so much. Perhaps I could use modern dampers, gearbox, steering etc. However I would be careful to keep the cars original colour scheme of mostly black. I need to decide which route to take on this project soon.

So far I have on the way to me: the car, new body, wheels, tyres, a few other bits. Photos to follow when it arrives...
GARBO 1/8

Mike DeLaney
Approved Member

Re: RC10 World's A&L - 1st project since 1995

Post by Mike DeLaney »

I would inspect the car once you receive it, then decide which way to go.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

if that was a car that was on ebay about 2-3 weeks ago, it looked like a nice car, but just be aware that the trailing arm kit requires you to cut slices in the back of the pan in order to attach the arm mounts. So the chassis itself won't be 'stock' worthy since it has been modified. It will definitely be unique as a 'worlds/trailing arm' car; not too many modified like that. You shouldn't have to do anything to the car except fix anything broken in order to enjoy it.

post some pics when you get it, we love pictures here. 8)

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

The arms were already fitted by the seller. It looks like a rather neat job from the pictures I have seen. I am glad they did it as I am not sure I'd have been brave enough to cut slots on a World's chassis. Mind you there is one tiny feint rub mark on the rear bumper section of the chassis. So I will have it re-anodised to be perfect. That will also make the A&L slots jet black too, which will be a tiny bonus. When it is done I'll have my personal favorite looking RC10 chassis and upgrade all in one.

I am also thinking of having the A&L alloy arms professionally polished. There is a guy I have used before who does great work. Anyone done this before?

Also I may make a new rear shock tower and alloy damper mount. I am not a fan of the white plastic mounts, or the unused damper tower mount hole when using trailing arms. It looks a bit unfinished to my eyes.

ps

Am I correct that the World's uses a 2.25 Stealth transmission? Did any other RC10 use this gearbox? Are spare gears and shafts used on any other models? I may need to look into finding spares...
GARBO 1/8

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yes, 2.25:1 ratio, used on rc10 and rc10t, and rc10ds. plenty of info on this board regarding stealth trans. most parts obsolete now, but still available looking hard enough. Hardest thing to find will be left and right outdrives. You can upgrade topshaft to a B4 topshaft and slipper/spur assembly.

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

Thanks to some members here for providing me with some inspiration. The following pictures capture the sort of colour pallet I am interested in - mostly black, with perhaps only one (maybe two) items in gold to give a reference to past times. This will either be the alloys only, or less likely the shocks as well. So it is likely some of my unused original World's parts will become available.

Overall look of these cars are great. This is the body I have ordered - from TBG. The overall look is perhaps a touch too dark. It needs some gold or silver. But the wheels do look very tough!

Thanks to member Synergy - your car is stunning! The overall look is close to perfect.

I may need to buy a set of these wheels from somewhere! Hint Hint :D

GARBO 1/8

fastang
Approved Member

Post by fastang »

"I may need to buy a set of these wheels from somewhere! Hint Hint "

Good luck with that! :wink:

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

I have found someone who can make me as many alloy wheels as I like in any design I like. I can see some Technicraft copies coming up... :)
GARBO 1/8

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

The first items have started arriving...

Some all round tyres for use on grass, asphalt or clay. The compound is suprisimgly compliant and sticky. These should give a nice scale appearance when worn in with a layer of dust. There are various other tyre options on the way too...

GARBO 1/8

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

Another new delivery just arrived... some more scale looking tyres and wheel options for actual runnning on asphalt...

GARBO 1/8

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

One last update for the day...

I have ordered the last set of brand new three piece alloy wheels by LOHAS, in the Hurricane style. I am thinking of keeping the polished rims sections and rim bolts in silver (natural alloy) and having the wheel centres anodised either black or gold. Or just leave alone, we'll see.

Plus I also bought enough brand new in pack Associated spares to build two new gearboxes. That should be me set for spares.

Sorry for the multi posts all in one day. Lots happening. Can't wait for the big box to arrive...
GARBO 1/8

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

Pics are always good! 8)

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

In that case, one more... I only have these snaps taken from my Ebay purchases.

I really love these but I am not sure whether I prefer this style, or the straight spoke design some of you have. I'll have a think about that. If it turns out I do prefer the straight spokes I may be open to swaps later on if anyone is interested.

Right it's gone 1am in the UK so I'm off to bed. Have fun all... :D
GARBO 1/8

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

He made very few of the 5 spokes, you'll likely have a very hard time convincing someone to swap. But, those look awesome and more like tecnacrafts then the other style 8)

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

I do love the design I bought. I think either style looks great. I guess it would be ideal to have two sets - one in each style :D
GARBO 1/8