What speed controller do I need?

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jackflak

What speed controller do I need?

Post by jackflak »

I am building a RC10 and have a 7 cell nimh 5000mah battery pack for it. I am wondering what speed controller I can use with this buggy? I found one (see my other post) but was just informed it wouldn't work. Any suggestions?

clm
Approved Member

Re: What speed controller do I need?

Post by clm »

Well that depends on a few things, size of the battery and turns of the motor primarily. One you may look into for a brushed setup is a Tekin Rebel which can take down to a 15 turn motor with up to 8 cells.

http://www.teamtekin.com/rebel2.html

There are also others that are discontinued like a Novak Super Rooster which has no turn limit and takes 6 to 10 cells.

Then you have the LRP A.I. Automatic no turn limit and 6-7 cell

Is there a brand of esc you prefer? You might also possibly look at reversable brushed/brushless esc's that you can use with your brushed motor now and a brushless one later, many of the Castle and Tekin ones can do that.

Chris
Losi - Jrx2, Pro, Jr2, Pro SE, JrxT, JrT, LXT, NXT, XXKE, XXTG+
Mini - T, LST, LST2, Crawler
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T
Crawlers - Trx4 Defender, Bootleg Bruiser Shelf Queen
-Bashers under contruction- Jrx2

jackflak

Post by jackflak »

thanks for the reply clm... I am using the stock motor that came with the RC10. It is a kit my son started in 1992 and never finished. I have finished building the car and can still use the old wiper/rheostat parts that are with the kit but thought I would throw in a more modern esc instead. I am new to all of this and don't have a clue about most of it. I don't want to put a lot of money in the project at least until I know I can get it all working. I ran across a deal on a Team Associated xps micro esc 8023AE that has a motor hooked up to it right now and the guy told me it came out of an RC10. Now another person on this forum said it wouldn't work so I am back to square 1, Any help is greatly appreciated.

integra22t
Approved Member

Post by integra22t »

im sorry but i love novak speed controls but i looked at the one you got and its rated for down to a 16 turn and a max voltage ov 8.6 so you should be fine .. and seeing as you have it and it was instaled with the motor might as well try it

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

Hmm well that person was me, that xps micro esc is the kit esc for the rc18 series from associated, for a stock motor your choices are actually rather wide.

Something like this should get you going and be cheap enough to not worry about outgrowing it when you have some experience and want to go to a more costly brushless setup.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320A-Brushed-Brush-Speed-Controller-ESC-w-Reverse-for-RC-Car-Truck-Boat-1-8-1-10-/310737051280?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item48595f1e90

For a bit more something like this Traxxas XL5 might be a bit better as you have a decent company name behind it
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-XL-5-Forward-Reverse-Brushed-ESC-TRA3018-Rock-Crawler-Scaler-SC-/281148093715?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4175bb7513

There are many others of course. Something like this would allkow you to grow into brushless later with just a motor swap as it does brushed and brushless.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Creations-1-10-SV3-Sidewinder-12V-ESC-Speed-Control-010-0115-00-/380698555368?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58a366f3e8

Chris
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

integra22t wrote:im sorry but i love novak speed controls but i looked at the one you got and its rated for down to a 16 turn and a max voltage ov 8.6 so you should be fine .. and seeing as you have it and it was instaled with the motor might as well try it
Take a look under motor recommendation in the PDF,

http://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/cars_and_trucks/shared/XPS_ESCmanual.pdf

Micro Motor, while you might get away using it in a 1/10th scale for a bit, you are going to smoke it sooner or later.

Chris
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T

integra22t
Approved Member

Post by integra22t »

im not saying its a great one .. better then the stock wiper arm .. the 8.2 is a little high but within its spects

if the speed control was used with the motor that came with it .. it was running

like anything just keep an eye on temps and dont over gear it

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

I also like Novak, especially the old stuff. The T4 is fairly common for around $20 on epay. The Novak Cyclone in around the same price and has no limit.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

take a look at the duratrax intellispeed esc's. i have one (in a vonats racer) thats rated to 8 turn and it's been flawless.
on 7.4lipo with a 8turn it does get warm but never piping hot.