Shodog's bicycle collection

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

shodog
Approved Member

Shodog's bicycle collection

Post by shodog »

Here are the most current pics of my bicycles. I'm always changing things up as I find sweet parts from here and there. I fully build my own bicycles all the way down to lacing the wheels. It's crazy to think that some of my bikes are getting to be 20 years of age. Guess I'm just getting old.

This 1995 Specialized M2 S Works is my main cross country MTB. Shimano XTR derailleurs, shifters and brakes. Race face cranks and Titanium bottom bracket. Judy SL fork., Bontrager crow bars, Kore lite stem and a Chris King headset. The Citron colored Mavic 217's are built with gold Sapim spokes and White Industries hubs. IRD seat post and a Titanium rail Bontrager saddle.

This 2006 Specialized Enduro Pro is my heavy duty off roader. Six inches of suspension travel on the front and rear. Shimano XTR shifters and derailleurs. Race Face deus lite cranks and titanium bottom bracket. Brakes are Hope hydraulic M4 Evo with 203mm rotors. Rock Shox Boxxer fork. Specialized Enduro bars, Race face stem and a Chris King headset. Wheels are Atom labs pimplites with sapim spokes and Chris King hubs. Turner seat post with Origin8 saddle.

1991 Klein Pinnacle. Outfitted with a blackburn rack and Jandd saddle bags, this bike is my main adventure slash commuter bike. Shimano XTR shifters and derailleurs. Avid tri align brakes. Carumba double barrel cranks. Rock shox Mag 21 fork with SL internals. Kalloy carbon fiber seat post and WTB saddle. Answer hyper lite bars, Ringle stem and Shimano XT headset. Mavic 321 rims built with Sapim spokes and Shimano XTR hubs.

1990 Klein Pinnacle. I purchased this bike for my Girlfriend. An original factory build with a Suntour XC Ltd gruppo. I’ve installed a Blackburn rack and Jandd saddle bags for her.

Tour Easy recumbent made by Easy Racers. The Bicycle shop I worked for many years ago let me use one of these to commute back and forth to college on. I loved the bike but could never afford to plop down the $2400 they cost. I was surfing Craigslist one day and found this one advertised with no pic for $500. I figured even if all I could salvage was the frame, seat and Handel bars I'd be okay. Turned out to be better than expected. It had rust on the forks and corrosion on the bars. The rims were slightly bent so I was able to chew the seller down to $400. I disassembled the bike down and using various products polished it back up. I eventually replaced almost all the stock components. I custom built a set of Sun rims and Shimano XTR Hubs. Changed the shifter's and derailleur’s and brakes to Shimano XTR. Cranks are from Coda/Magic Motorcycle. The Zzipper fairing allows it to slip through the wind.

Recently I have been riding it a lot to work but honestly I've always hated the fixie part. I picked up some 9 Spd Dura Ace parts and along with a few other parts I already had and turned it back into a road bike minus the drop bars.

I've had this Tommasini Road bike for well over 25 years. It was built as a nice road bike with Period Dura Ace parts.

When I was making the Kestrel fixie I always thought my Tommasini would have made a better fixie candidate but I had spent too many years and too much money on buying all the period dura ace parts. Since I planned for the Kestrel to be my primary road bike, I knew it was Tim to make the switch so I took most of the parts off and installed my fixie parts. I left a front brake on as it takes a bit to get my fat ass hauled down to a stop. Very pleased with how well it turned out and now that it has a brake, I don't mind the fixie part. I will however install a freewheel on the other side of the hub so that I can switch between fixie and freewheel.

Schwinn Klunker 5. I bought this bike for my Father around 1990. As a Father son project we put a new old stock Schwinn springer fork on and Persons saddle.
Upon his passing in ’01 I brought the bike to my home. I rode it around a bit and ended up breaking the rear axle. I bought a special Wheels of Boulder Cro-Moly replacement axle but it sat broken for many years in my shed. One day while out at a flea market I found a set of fenders for dirt cheap which gave me the motivation to restore it. I completely disassembled the bike. Replaced the axle in the rear wheel and regreased all the bearing races. Trued up the wheels and wrapped them in new white wall tires. Polished the original paint of the frame and then put it all back together. My Dad would be proud to see how it turned out. I love to cruise this thing around. It’s an iconic bike with lots of personal history and it gets the most praise of all my bikes.

This 1997 Mongoose VRS 5.0 was built from leftovers from various bikes I've had and makes a nice loaner for my friends to ride. Shimano XT drivetrain, syncros seat post and stem