- Asso_man's custom Classic -

Everything pertaining to the RC10 buggy re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Asso_man!
Approved Member

- Asso_man's custom Classic -

Post by Asso_man! »

So even though I still have no precise idea about where I'm going with this one, I thought I would already share what I have gathered so far. I was not that enthusiastic about building this one, but since I have two and never had the opportunity BITD to build a gold pan short front arms car, I thought I woudl give a shot at breaking that Chinese seal and have a deeper look at the content :D Very oddly, the first thing I did was to the tire lettering and then put everything back in teh box and left it as is for a few months. Then came the magnificient JC options and of course I had to have to full package which is shown below. All the parts are really top notch quality and also look awesome. The finishing is perfect as well. Then I also had to have of of the 6-gear machined cases Chris is making and ordered it along with a set of alloy wheels which haven't arrived yet.

With all these awesome parts at hand, it really gave me a kick and I'm now really anxious to see all of them installed on the chassis. Now my dilemna lies into the colour combination and matching. With all these options being black and/or silver, adding teh gold anodising and some remaining white parts makes a tad too much different colours for me. So the plan is to dye most of the parts black (but the a-arms and nylon parts for the shocks), have the shock bodies anodized black and probably de-anodize and polish the shock caps. The only gold part left would then be the tub which I might as well consider anodizing black. The other option would be to keep the chassis and the shock caps gold. I'm really struggling with it now, decisions, decisions...

Anyway enough blah blah, let's have a look at some pics! Stay tuned.

Far from perfect ano, but all in all the chassis is well done and finished.

Tire lettering took me quite a lot of time and I did it on both sides!

Full JConcepts package!

The motor plate is a work of art and will go nicely with Chris' alloy case.

Got the body too, I'm anxious to see this one painted.

And this is most definitely the cherry on the cake and I can't wait to see his set of alloy rims coming in:

That's all folks (for now)

Lonestar
Approved Member

Re: - Asso_man's hopped-up Classic -

Post by Lonestar »

Comme quoi, il ne faut jamais dire "jamais" :mrgreen:

Will be interesting to see how the JC parts fit with the "gold" (ish) and the white bits... let alone that shiny gearbox!

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Lonestar wrote:Comme quoi, il ne faut jamais dire "jamais" :mrgreen:

Will be interesting to see how the JC parts fit with the "gold" (ish) and the white bits... let alone that shiny gearbox!

Paul
That will definnitely be the biggest challenge and it already gives me headaches lol. Seriously every time I have a spare moment I think about all the possible solutions and there are many if you consider anodising and dying possibilities.

bully
Approved Member

Post by bully »

How do you guy's do the white lettering on your treads? Nice collection of parts there mate..

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

nice collection of parts david.

i still can't understand why someone would go through the hassle of creating a super nice, shiny, aluminum 6 gear trans case and not make at least one aluminum bearing adapter for it to use opposite the spur gear. any "cool" factor will be lost when you shove a hunk of white nylon in the side of it.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

bully wrote:How do you guy's do the white lettering on your treads? Nice collection of parts there mate..
I used this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Yellow-Tire-Lettering-Pen-98636-/261392437144?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cdc340f98) and remove stains with alcohol.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

scr8p wrote:nice collection of parts david.

i still can't understand why someone would go through the hassle of creating a super nice, shiny, aluminum 6 gear trans case and not make at least one aluminum bearing adapter for it to use opposite the spur gear. any "cool" factor will be lost when you shove a hunk of white nylon in the side of it.
I agree, but that is why these parts will be dyed black and I plan to use an alu bearing cover to compensate for that too. That being said, you should see this masterpiece in person, pictures don't do it justice. It's simply fantastic.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

That should turn out nicely Asso. I still can't get past that body they made but it's growing on me. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

I'm interested in this build as well. Last night I was checking out the JConcept bling since my Classic chassis is currently "out" for "services". I was thinking of keeping it box stock minus addition of Stealth and chrome rims. But the stock look is wearing out on me. This thread might be just what I need motivation-wise.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

I finally took some drastic decisions today about the way this build should go as I indeed didn't like the idea of having black nylon parts, raw aluminium and gold combined: all the alloy parts (chassis, shocks and transmission) were brought to a local anodiser. I went for two different colors. Wanna take a guess? They should be with me within a week or so, I can't wait!

1300GT

Post by 1300GT »

Asso_man! wrote:I finally took some drastic decisions today about the way this build should go as I indeed didn't like the idea of having black nylon parts, raw aluminium and gold combined: all the alloy parts (chassis, shocks and transmission) were brought to a local anodiser. I went for two different colors. Wanna take a guess? They should be with me within a week or so, I can't wait!
I'll say Red and Black. :D
Chris.

Toys.............they are!

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

Asso_man! wrote:...chassis, shocks and transmission) were brought to a local anodiser. I went for two different colors. Wanna take a guess? ...
So that rules out gold I'd think. That transmission is going to be one of a kind!

I'm going to say black chassis and tranny (to match the JC plate) and 80's Kyosho red for the shocks? If you go black on the chassis and tranny, I'd think you could consider grinding silver accents to match the other JC stuff?

It's going to have to be good to fit in with the rest of your collection that is for certain!
- Brian -

My Gallery

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

1300GT wrote:
Asso_man! wrote:I finally took some drastic decisions today about the way this build should go as I indeed didn't like the idea of having black nylon parts, raw aluminium and gold combined: all the alloy parts (chassis, shocks and transmission) were brought to a local anodiser. I went for two different colors. Wanna take a guess? They should be with me within a week or so, I can't wait!
I'll say Red and Black. :D
Y'ernat Al wrote:
Asso_man! wrote:...chassis, shocks and transmission) were brought to a local anodiser. I went for two different colors. Wanna take a guess? ...
So that rules out gold I'd think. That transmission is going to be one of a kind!

I'm going to say black chassis and tranny (to match the JC plate) and 80's Kyosho red for the shocks? If you go black on the chassis and tranny, I'd think you could consider grinding silver accents to match the other JC stuff?

It's going to have to be good to fit in with the rest of your collection that is for certain!
Wow you guys read my mind! I'm scared now :shock: Although it will be more black on red :D Tranny, chassis and shock caps will be red with black shock bodies and black dyed parts (maybe some white). I plan to sand off all the edges of the chassis and might even cut it 8) but that will depend of how brave I am in front of newly anoed chassis lol. And indeed grinding the edges of the tranny is also planned. I went for a red chassis as I thought it would better set-off the black JC parts and you can't go wrong with red. I was really really tempted by an all black and silver look but I already have several models with that theme and wanted something really different. By the way I must thank Scr8p for the Kyosho red idea :wink:

If results are good, I might sand off the chassis that is on the car below and mod it to accomodate my MIP 4wd project that has been on hold forever mainly because of a tuber chassis that never arrived to me after 6 years of hope... Anyway, the plan here would be to go for a full blue chassis (motor plate and kick-up).

And as the guys there also make various shades of gold, I finally have a nearby place to do the front shock collars of my box art project.

slow_jun
Approved Member

Post by slow_jun »

:shock: makes my re re a :lol: ng matter.... :oops:
“It is more shameful to distrust our friends than to be deceived by them.”
― Confucius

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Yoohoo, I went to pick up my parts at the local anodizer's. I'm stocked, perfect job and the red is just so sexy! Now do I push it further and have the tub milled and cut?

I just can't wait to build this thing now :twisted: