"Other" hobbies (pics)

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Brocklee
Approved Member

"Other" hobbies (pics)

Post by Brocklee »

Just curious to see what everyone else's hobbies are, People have mentioned them in other threads but I haven't seen one dedicated to "other" non rc hobbies and it seems to me like there is a pretty talented group of people here and I'm sure there's some pretty awesome non rc things coming from the board members.

Anyways here's mine, first off is my ar-15 this is a scratch build and I've really enjoyed building it, as such I'm constantly tweaking making it even better, it currently shoots 3/4in at 100 yards using my reloads

Ar pics

Next is my pistol, i bought this new and have done some trigger mods but it is mostly stock, this pic is from the first time I took it out and that group was at 15 yards

Ruger mkiii

Next up has been my latest project, it's a ds650 that I've been restoring, I just finished a complete rebuild on the motor/trans and upped the compression to 11.25:1, and I think I'm going to do an e85 conversion in the near future.

Ds650

Here's some of my reloads, another very addicting hobby

Reloads

Heres my guitars, first one is a 1960 fender duo sonic, second is a 2004 double fat strat that's been shielded and has a 59 Classic Gibson humbucker in the bridge and a fender tex mex humbucker in the neck, last is my wife's squier that I converted to left hand and made a new nut for it.

So let's see what everyone else does
Cars: kyosho raider, rc10 ce, kyosho ultima pro xl, lazer zx, inferno mp s, losi xxt, xx4we, rc10t3, kyosho zx5 sp, rb6, zx6, rb7ss, zx7, mp10e, crc xl, rc18r, tamiya trf 801xt.

markbt73
Approved Member

Re: "Other" hobbies (pics)

Post by markbt73 »

Nice guitars! I've built a couple in recent years. Here's my Tele, from a Grizzly kit with a GFS Alnico bridge pickup and a Fender humbucker in the neck:

And a P-bass I built from a Guitar Fetish kit a couple years ago, now sold:

And the current pile-o-parts that will become a Strat, swamp ash body, maple neck, GFS Vintage Alnico pickups, mixture of GFS and Fender hardware:

Someday, the next logical step is to build a 5 watt Class A tube amp...

Brocklee
Approved Member

Post by Brocklee »

Those are sweet, I almost bought a les Paul kit guitar a couple of times, my big project I did was with the duo sonic, when I got that off of eBay it had a nasty blue/purple/black sunburst paint job on it that was botched, you can still see the old color up by the tuning pegs on it. I refinished the body but left the neck because it has a cool worn relic patina on it.
Cars: kyosho raider, rc10 ce, kyosho ultima pro xl, lazer zx, inferno mp s, losi xxt, xx4we, rc10t3, kyosho zx5 sp, rb6, zx6, rb7ss, zx7, mp10e, crc xl, rc18r, tamiya trf 801xt.

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

I enjoy talking hobbies, so here are a few of my others. Not all that much different than RC, but fun in a whole other way. I also wanted to show off my jet skis, but I didn't have any descent photos with me. :roll:
Attachments
Mostly utilitarian, but we have some fun together.
Mostly utilitarian, but we have some fun together.
World of Speed!
World of Speed!
Both buggies are home-built by me.
Both buggies are home-built by me.
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

Qballll
Approved Member

Post by Qballll »

Here's my flying hobby. Own 1/2 of this Piper Cherokee 180.

Kyoshojoe
Approved Member

Post by Kyoshojoe »

Here is some of the metal fab work my dad and I built for his jeep cherokee, bumper is removable and can be hooked on back of jeep plus we built full chassis armor and rock sliders.

Here are some of my other vintage hobbies, cloning old school model rockets

A little dabbling in balsa models

And a lego gundam

abailey21
Approved Member

Post by abailey21 »

Qballll wrote:Here's my flying hobby. Own 1/2 of this Piper Cherokee 180.

Thats a good looking 180

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Brocklee-

I'm sure you've checked it, but be careful with that over travel screw. Could cause an engagement failure with the secondary sear, causing the hammer to follow. At best, this would result in the rifle being a single shot; at worst, it could cause slam firing.

If you really want to improve your trigger, just install a Geiselle. If you really wanna tighten the groups, ditch the M4 profile barrel in favor of a nice medium-heavy contour with a 1:7 twist that'll stabilize 70-80 gr. match pills ;)
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

Brocklee
Approved Member

Post by Brocklee »

Sixtysixdeuce wrote:Brocklee-

I'm sure you've checked it, but be careful with that over travel screw. Could cause an engagement failure with the secondary sear, causing the hammer to follow. At best, this would result in the rifle being a single shot; at worst, it could cause slam firing.

If you really want to improve your trigger, just install a Geiselle. If you really wanna tighten the groups, ditch the M4 profile barrel in favor of a nice medium-heavy contour with a 1:7 twist that'll stabilize 70-80 gr. match pills ;)
Don't worry I always do check any work I do on a gun before I go to the range. Then once at the range I shoot a had full of mags loaded with one bullet then a snap cap to check function. I've also retimed the disconnector to help prevent what you discribed, now the over travel screw doesn't worry me much, it's the pretravel screw that I hate adjusting, I've got one running up through the grip handle screw hole.

Geiselle triggers are awesome but I like to tinker and I feel that the trigger I've got in there is still very safe, I still have good sear engagement, and the trigger pull isn't crazy light (it's at 4.5lbs). It's survived me pulling the scope and slamming the butt on the ground (while having a closed bolt with an empty chamber) and not discharged. Now you mentioned a heavy barrel, I've thought about building another upper and I like white oak armament but I don't see the point in keeping it a 223 if you're trying to shoot long range, a 6.5 Grendel is awesome in an ar-15 platform and that would most likely be the route I would go if I build another upper, but as it sits it's not too heavy so I've got great portability with it and I like that a lot. For longer ranges I've got a remington 700 sps tactical I've been playing with but I haven't changed anything on it yet instead i spent all my money on the scope and ammo. I've also got a 1911 that I'm scratch building, I'm still collecting parts but I plan on using a caspian slide/receiver, kart barrel and most everything else will be ed brown or Wilson, I've got about 50% of the parts collected for that build. Anyways it sounds like you have some experince with guns, so post some up if you don't mind! I tend to spend a lot of time drooling over other peoples guns lol.

Brocklee
Approved Member

Post by Brocklee »

@kyoshojoe

I've started a balsa plane that i eventually want to convert into a control line plane, right now I've just finished covering it and mounting a .020 cox engine on it. The only pic I've got is of the airframe, the covering I used is a dark navy blue.

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Anyways it sounds like you have some experince with guns, so post some up if you don't mind!
Little bit. Lol. Been a life-long hobby for me, everything from civil war era and before to the latest combat tupperware, deep blue steel and walnut to high tech coatings and super-strength composites, as long as it's quality, I like it!

This is my long range critter:

Yes, it's a .50. Certainly not the only precision rifle I have, but the only one that is primarily for target use rather than hunting. I have a nice .220 Swift that is 0.72 MOA at 200 yards.........and I'm not talking about once printing a 3 shot cluster that size; I mean consistently, with 10 shot groups. My .17 Rem is another tack driver, pulling of 0.67 MOA @ 100 yards.

None of my ARs are that good, but my 12.5" SBR is a sub-MOA rifle @ 100.

Most of the others are about 1.5 MOA, including the AR-10 Carbine:

A few more:

I like my milsurps too:

And Remington 700s:

And S&W Autos:

Enjoy reloading and ammo stockpiling, too :D

That's all I'm gonna post right now, though. ;)
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

Brocklee
Approved Member

Post by Brocklee »

-sixtysixdeuce

How are those all steel s&w autos? I've looked at those but I've always been afraid if buying another s&w auto. I bought a sigma online a handful of years ago and I didn't care for the trigger on that gun, it was extremely heavy and gritty, I like their revolvers but my only smith auto was the sigma and it left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm also not a huge fan of plastic guns but one of the best shooting pistols I've shot has been the walther p99, I like that one a lot.

That's a pretty sweet reloading setup you've got there too, I like the 2x6 in the desk, I might steal that idea and use it in my setup. Right now I've got my press/powder measure mounted to a 2x6 that I c clamp to the kitchen table. It's not the best but it works

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

How are those all steel s&w autos? I've looked at those but I've always been afraid if buying another s&w auto.
They're absolutely top shelf, IMO. Remember, the Sigma was S&W's entry level gun, designed to meet S&W performance standards at the lowest possible price point. They're not bad guns, but definitely not on par with the 3rd gens or the current M&P series.

The 3rd gen autos are some of the most heavy duty pistols in their class. They are a little bit heavier weight-wise than a lot of the competition, but not overly heavy. They are very accurate for duty pistols, and durable in the extreme. Triggers are rather typical of traditional double action, which is to say long and heavy in DSA and not real crisp in SA, but I've managed some impressive groups with them nonetheless.

Despite the fact that you can pick (some) of them up at reasonable prices these days, back in the '90s, the 3rd gens were right up there with Sig & HK, $700-$900 for a standard combat auto.

I have six; a 1006 10mm, a 4506 .45 ACP, a 4516 .45 ACP, a CS45 .45 ACP (alloy framed), a 4006 .40 S&W and a 5906 9mm. I am not selling any of them. Ever.

R Cane
Approved Member

Post by R Cane »

Well then. Now we know whose door to come a knockin' when the zombies attack!
:D

R Cane
Approved Member

Post by R Cane »

One of my many hobbies. Drives the wife nuts. (not the noise...the fact that I have stuff all over the place - there's more music stuff not in the photo)
room1.JPG