RC10T1M

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

rcgerber
Approved Member

RC10T1M

Post by rcgerber »

So after seeing a few of the mid motor buggy's posted on here I decided I wanted to convert mine to mid and maybe run it in the stock class that was suppose to be starting in my area. So I had some 3mm G10 to use and so I got started.
I traced my tub for shape and hole location. Once traced I started mocking how this might work. The chassis shape allowed for three different battery configs.
After the local stock class never materialized I decided to convert my stadium truck instead. With the high bite track here I always struggled to keep the front end down when running the truck in mod, so I thought mid motor might help. So as I started fabrication I had to get a few parts. Big thanks to nix for creating and making available the waterfall brace and the gear cover; also picked up a Robinson Racing Tracker rear arm mount. I went with tracker arm mount because the new ones don't seem to be 1.5 deg and break easily. Below is the result. Made some mistakes with hole placement and countersinking but overall I think it came out pretty well. Ran it a little on the street but can't wait to get it on the track.

giggles
Approved Member

Re: RC10T1M

Post by giggles »

now that's a mid motor 10t good job the gt never looks that good with an electric conversion
some of my cars rc10 rc10t RC10T2 rc10t3 rc10gt sc10 4X4 losi xx4 tlr 22, duratrax exb, rs4 super rc10 worlds trf801x and trf801xt td10
nitro rs4 rs4 ev0 mirage v spec venum creeper
desc410v2 pro sc18 rc18 team turingy go cart and sct slash 2wd

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

That's badass! :shock:
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

rcgerber
Approved Member

Post by rcgerber »

Thanks guys. Yeah I don't dig the GT conversions either. Seems like you would have a hard time balancing the truck left right with that layout. Also I think the electric conversion seems to move the motor a little to far forward which would in my opinion hurt the rear traction a little to much. I did screw up drilling the rear holes for the tracker because my original intention was to shave down the rear bulkhead down and mount it on some blocks I made for the arm mount. The problem was I drilled the holes to narrow to mount the bulkhead; so I had to mount it behind the mounts. Because of that I had to scramble and make a mount for the rear camber link, it's not pretty but works. I did leave some space in the middle of the chassis to add a stiffener if I find the chassis to soft. Still haven't run it yet, hopefully I will get to run it this week some time.

8rad
Approved Member

Post by 8rad »

That looks like a great conversion.

May I ask where those shocks are from?
"It's not broken, it's British!"

rcgerber
Approved Member

Post by rcgerber »

8rad wrote:That looks like a great conversion.

May I ask where those shocks are from?
The shocks are PR Racing/HobbyPro USA. I run their 2wd and 4wd buggies, and had an extra set so I threw those on there to test. The rears are a little shorter than stock but most run a limiter in the rear anyways so it shouldn't be an issue.

rcgerber
Approved Member

Post by rcgerber »

I finally got to take the 10T1M for a spin last night. I must say it drove really quite well. Still had plenty of forward bite but really rotated well. I definitely need to work on the shock package; the truck was bottoming out way to easily. For a first outing and my first attempt at a custom chassis I really happy.

foots
Approved Member

Post by foots »

Do you run at Hotshots?

Niki
Approved Member

Post by Niki »

Looks good.
I'm glad to see my part in use :)
Did you get mirrored gear cover also?

-Niki-

rcgerber
Approved Member

Post by rcgerber »

I did. It wasn't installed in those pics because I needed to thin out the bottom screw area to clear the RRP rear arm mount, and hadn't done that yet. I have it on there now, and its great. I love that it's rigid and gives a little extra strength to the motor mount that has a tendency to bend (at least in rear motor).

Niki
Approved Member

Post by Niki »

Nice. Cover can be mounted on a VTS slipper also in case you want to use one.
Are you going to rebuild rear end with different bulkhead location?

rcgerber
Approved Member

Post by rcgerber »

Nice to know I can run the VTS slipper, but I probably stick with the T3 one I'm running now.

As for the rear bulkhead I don't have any plans right now to move it. Due to my screw up with the rear arm mount holes, I would have to redo the whole chassis if I wanted to do my original plan of mounting it on top of the RRP rear mount.

I hope to take some video of it running very soon to post here. Maybe this weekend depending on time.

rcgerber
Approved Member

Post by rcgerber »

I made it to an indoor track for some practice today, and I'm pretty happy with the way it drove. Still need to work on the shock package a little more, but it was better today. There is a sporadic clicking and slight binding in the drive train that formed towards the end of the day I have to figure out; hopefully it isn't anything to major. It was hot today 90+ so the slipper was getting a workout and I was having to play with the settings to find the happy middle. So even in mid it can do a wheelie when the slipper is to tight as you will see.

Here is a short video I took. Sorry about the quality, I'm new to uploading videos to youtube. If I can figure out better settings I'll add another.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h5iqQK3XW4

sbcnyc
Approved Member

Post by sbcnyc »

giggles wrote:now that's a mid motor 10t good job the gt never looks that good with an electric conversion
aside from my wiring, i resent that remark! i LOVE my conversions look, hard to see but the square pack is centerlined with the nose tubes.... wires are a mess... but secure, and this thing kills it... all business track mule

sorry for the hijack, i just really like seeing more and more people doing their own mm conversions, as they were doing back when.... that kick just as much as the new stuff...and i got my wish, stadium truck came back hardcore!!!

sweet ride, and easy to keep going now with the re-re diff and outdrives... i did the gt only becasue of trans parts for the t was getting expensive... it really grew on me and i got it dialed for everything! yes... EVERYTHING... just throw it down and drive... no weight added either...
Attachments
gte1.jpg

rcgerber
Approved Member

Post by rcgerber »

sbc, nice truck. One of the better GT conversions I've seen.
As an update, I have converted it to hex wheels mainly due to wheel availability and it was fairly cheap to do.
I ran it a race last weekend and qualified 2nd. It was pretty hooked up compared to the other trucks, traction was limited, but the 10T1M still worked well. I think it had to do with the g10 chassis's extra flex. I did bend a cvd bone which in turn caused a chipped outdrive. because of that I had to eliminate almost all the droop in the rear just race the main. The lack of rear droop really affected the jumping but was able to finish 3rd; could have done better had the driver held it together. So I guess I'm going to have to order new cvds and out drives :( .

Check out the video of the main.
[youtube]hu7qaSFUy8Q[/youtube]

Oh Foots, yeah I run at Hotshots every so often. I'm only 10mins from there.