What was your first RC experience?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

carloco8

Re: What was your first RC experience?

Post by carloco8 »

From what I remember, it must have been late '87 or early '88, I was still in elementary school and my dad let me drive his fairly new tamiya blackfoot with a futaba magnum sport radio in the backyard. It was my first time driving anything rc. He taped a small block of plastic behind the trigger to prevent full throttle, which I quickly figured out how to remove and then continued to unintentionally smash that poor blackoot into every solid object there was. He recorded it all on VHS for memories, or to serve as evidence as to why he no longer had it every time I asked him where the blackfoot went LOL.
Old school racing all the way!

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Coelacanth wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:41 pm I remember the silly battery-operated tethered "remote control" cars that would go straight forward, or reverse while turning in one direction. Those were so LAME, even I as a youngster thought that level of controllability was stupid.
Somewhere along the line in my very early teens I got a Cox nitro airplane with the string tether/controls. I too thought that was lame because even at a very slow speed you're standing there spinning yourself in circles, which never ends well! :lol: Never could get the thing to run, even asked the adult neighbor for help and he couldn't get it going either. It either ended up in the trash can or resale shop, I don't remember which. Needless to say, this was NOT something that stimulated the RC addiction! :lol:
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Coelacanth wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:41 pm I remember the silly battery-operated tethered "remote control" cars that would go straight forward, or reverse while turning in one direction. Those were so LAME, even I as a youngster thought that level of controllability was stupid.
At least the controllers looked like a TV remote
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !