Stadium Blitzer rebuild

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

juicedcoupe

Re: Stadium Blitzer rebuild

Post by juicedcoupe »

XLR8 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:37 pm I wonder how well the Stadium Blitzer body would fit the Ultima chassis? The SB body looks a bit narrower but that shouldn't be a problem. I just need to compare wheelbases I guess.
I can't tell you that the body won't fit a 10T. The Blitzer shock towers are much shorter, especially the rear.
XLR8 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:37 pm Before seeing your build thread, I was completely unaware this truck existed. I've just taken a look at the finished truck online and they look frickin AWESOME!
As you know, I just bought a (junker) Kyosho Outlaw Ultima. I thought it was the absolute best looking vintage ST ever but now I'm having second thoughts.
This is my other one.
Screenshot_20210718-162203_Gallery.jpg
The trucks look great when finished but doing the decals suuuuuucks. I think that the decals took longer than everything else on the truck combined.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

juicedcoupe wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:20 pm
XLR8 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:37 pm I wonder how well the Stadium Blitzer body would fit the Ultima chassis? The SB body looks a bit narrower but that shouldn't be a problem. I just need to compare wheelbases I guess.
I can't tell you that the body won't fit a 10T. The Blitzer shock towers are much shorter, especially the rear.
XLR8 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:37 pm Before seeing your build thread, I was completely unaware this truck existed. I've just taken a look at the finished truck online and they look frickin AWESOME!
As you know, I just bought a (junker) Kyosho Outlaw Ultima. I thought it was the absolute best looking vintage ST ever but now I'm having second thoughts.
This is my other one.

Screenshot_20210718-162203_Gallery.jpg

The trucks look great when finished but doing the decals suuuuuucks. I think that the decals took longer than everything else on the truck combined.
Yeah, I've basically given up on using a Blitzer body on my Ultima - the wheelbase is too short for the Ultima.

Your other truck looks great, thanks for posting a pic. Tamiya packs a lot of decals with their kits. I built Tamiya's Subaru Impreza rally car a couple years ago so I can fully appreciate your pain. I think that body set included something like 68 separate stickers.

I forgot to ask but is there a cover for the Blitzer chassis tub to prevent it filling with dirt?
Doug

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

XLR8 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:19 pm I forgot to ask but is there a cover for the Blitzer chassis tub to prevent it filling with dirt?
I think that there may have been some at one time but nothing that I know of now.

But it actually isn't too bad. Compared to my 10T's, the tub is rather tall.

Rider400
Approved Member

Post by Rider400 »

That truck is so dope! Did they ever reissue these or are they all originals?

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

They did reissue them a several years ago, but they still tend to bring fairly high prices.

The Blitzer Beetle is currently being made and they are largely the same vehicle. This truck actually uses LOTS of re-re Blitzer Beetle parts.

Shane301
Approved Member

Post by Shane301 »

Nice job! I recently picked one up on market place. Several broken parts and rougher than I thought too. Thanks for the post. I will be starting my build soon and referring to this
Collecting all Vintage Associated Offroad and DS
Specific Tamiya
Losi Trucks

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

And, away we go.
20210930_184102.jpg

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Rollbar, bed, grill, windshield surround done.
Screenshot_20211001-153913_Gallery.jpg
The original plastic number placards are hard to find. Instead, I use scrap lexan. I paint it black and apply the (rough cut) decal to the painted side and then trim both together. It leaves a nice finish on the back of the placard and gives the servo tape a good surface to bond too.
Screenshot_20211001-153859_Gallery.jpg
All painted up. I'll give the paint some time to cure before removing the window masks or applying decals. The color is a good match to the wheels. And while it looks overbearing, the stripes and decals will cover a good bit of it.
Screenshot_20211001-153930_Gallery.jpg
I like the rollbar and bed area on these trucks. The detail and alignment is much better than most.
Screenshot_20211001-153955_Gallery.jpg

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

So you've swapped red for gray on the decal set? Anyway, they should look awesome against the bright red/orange paint and wheels.
I wasn't aware until just recently that the SB body is actually a Toyota -- very similar to Tamiya's Hilux MT/Prerunner body. Main difference being the integrated roll bar.

I was planning to buy a Blitzer Beetle to do a SB conversion but I missed the boat and they were sold out everywhere. I need to watch carefully for when they are back in stock again -- or maybe Tamiya will re-release the SB and I can avoid the hassle of ordering a separate body and decal set.
Doug

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

I think that was the only color that I swapped. It took a while to get them, so I don't really remember.

I'm mostly done, just working on the smaller decals now. It's looking pretty good but I kinda wish that I'd went with black for the grill.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

You can always mask and paint it on the outside.
It probably won't be as glossy as the rest of the body (more matte black) but since it's an accent color, that might actually look better than gloss black.
Doug

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

XLR8 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:29 pm You can always mask and paint it on the outside.
It probably won't be as glossy as the rest of the body (more matte black) but since it's an accent color, that might actually look better than gloss black.
I don't think it looks too bad, it just needs something to break it up. I might come back later and paint the grill insets.

Anyway. Overall, I think it turned out pretty decent.
Screenshot_20211001-222341_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211001-222328_Gallery.jpg
For those that don't know, all of those tiny decals on a Stadium Blitzer are individuals. They take forever to cut out and place.

Rider400
Approved Member

Post by Rider400 »

Killer looking truck! This threads a journey man I feel ya with starting out a build thinking it'll go easier only to find out your missing parts and have damage etc. Good job seeing it thru, way more patience than myself.

Im gonna pull the trigger on a Blitzer Beetle if they come back in stock. Too cool to not have in the quiver. The Stadium is a top 3 truck for me as well. Im currently on a Tamiya ORV trip but building them all with Stadium tires as I really dig that look. Suprisingly they drive really well too. But Ive never had a proper one or RC10T to compare it with either.

Its fun anyhow.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Rider400 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:46 pm Im currently on a Tamiya ORV trip but building them all with Stadium tires as I really dig that look. Suprisingly they drive really well too. But Ive never had a proper one or RC10T to compare it with either.
IMHO, anything on that platform isn't much of a match for a Blitzer. And a Blitzer doesn't hold a candle to a 10T.

Rider400
Approved Member

Post by Rider400 »

juicedcoupe wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:16 am
Rider400 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:46 pm Im currently on a Tamiya ORV trip but building them all with Stadium tires as I really dig that look. Suprisingly they drive really well too. But Ive never had a proper one or RC10T to compare it with either.
IMHO, anything on that platform isn't much of a match for a Blitzer. And a Blitzer doesn't hold a candle to a 10T.
I wouldnt argue that. But theyre still really fun to mob around with. With that said I would like to build an RC10T someday. Dont know alot about them they were next generation from my era.