MIP Legend nose cutting template

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

MIP Legend nose cutting template

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Hi guys,

Does anyone have the front nose template they could lend me? I could send you a deposit or something of that nature or trade you some parts. I just need to cut my nose plate like the instructions indicate, see below;

Thanks in advance and warm regards

Ed

mrlexan
Approved Member

Re: MIP Legend nose cutting template

Post by mrlexan »

I think I have tossed one of those in the past, not knowing what it was. :oops: :cry: :twisted:
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

AAiiiyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeee don't say that man! :shock: It never happened!

I think someone even had one on here and was asking what it was too (this is ages ago now though)!

Oh I would also be happy with a scaled trace of the part and some dimensions to make my own...

Warm regards

Ed

wyldbill
Approved Member

Post by wyldbill »

looking at the one that i have that was drilled with the template the holes are dead center between the two stock holes. you could just measure the exact center with a pair of calipers and center punch then drill.

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

wyldbill wrote:looking at the one that i have that was drilled with the template the holes are dead center between the two stock holes. you could just measure the exact center with a pair of calipers and center punch then drill.
Ah but wyldbill I have a Fibre-lyte nose plate that has no holes drilled at all! So I have nothing to guide me. Any chance you could make a scaled trace of your nose-plate and post some pictures too? Or perhaps I could borrow your nose?

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

What do you need to cut the nose for anyway... i always wondered that

call-911
Approved Member

Post by call-911 »

Weight savings maybe? Cutting that section off probably saves the same amount of weight as drilling holes in the vertical sides of the pan..... Second thought, maybe not that much weight. Maybe closer like how some cut the corner off the motor mount plate.
Keith C

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

It has more to do with the fact that you have to put the kick-up forward and then the servo has to be placed on the other side of the chassis and has to be attached "flat" to the chassis because of the belt tensioner that mounts on it, which is impossible if you don't cut the nose plate. Also, the third "middle" hole is of no use anymore, you just drill two new holes in the kick up for the steering posts.

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

Oh ok, so its abou tthe servo mounts being level... well what if yo ujust shimed the one thats further back so its the same height as the one on top of the nose plate? Yes the servo is that little bit higher up but just wondering if its that much of a difference (or was)

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Erich Reichert wrote:Oh ok, so its abou tthe servo mounts being level... well what if yo ujust shimed the one thats further back so its the same height as the one on top of the nose plate? Yes the servo is that little bit higher up but just wondering if its that much of a difference (or was)
Why not, but then (if you are lucky enough to own one) the belt tensioner that is supposed to be attached on the top of the servo would be raised by the same height as the thickness of the front plate, disturbing the tesnioning... and you would also have to redrill the servo hole in the front plate since it goes on the left...

asashaw
Approved Member

Post by asashaw »

Asso_man! wrote:It has more to do with the fact that you have to put the kick-up forward and then the servo has to be placed on the other side of the chassis and has to be attached "flat" to the chassis because of the belt tensioner that mounts on it, which is impossible if you don't cut the nose plate. Also, the third "middle" hole is of no use anymore, you just drill two new holes in the kick up for the steering posts.

you don't mount the servo flat. not to be a big jerk know it all, but... after you use the template to guide the holes for drilling, you are supposed to cut it in half and mount it under the servo... READ YOUR INSTRUCTIONS

btw, i never cut my noseplates, it really is useless unless you run 7 cells and make the mod for that also...

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

asashaw wrote:
Asso_man! wrote:It has more to do with the fact that you have to put the kick-up forward and then the servo has to be placed on the other side of the chassis and has to be attached "flat" to the chassis because of the belt tensioner that mounts on it, which is impossible if you don't cut the nose plate. Also, the third "middle" hole is of no use anymore, you just drill two new holes in the kick up for the steering posts.

you don't mount the servo flat. not to be a big jerk know it all, but... after you use the template to guide the holes for drilling, you are supposed to cut it in half and mount it under the servo... READ YOUR INSTRUCTIONS

btw, i never cut my noseplates, it really is useless unless you run 7 cells and make the mod for that also...
Do you have a template though? Or does anyone? I'd like to do the mod. as I want to set mine up 7 celled.

asashaw
Approved Member

Post by asashaw »

YEAH! But I won't send it to EUROPE, I DON'T TRUST the mail enough to know its gonna make it there and back, ya know? :wink:

I can scan it for you at the most, pm me if you would like the scan :)

I like to also drill and tap the third hole for the stock short center screw, see the photo.
Attachments
DSCN6305.JPG
DSCN6305.JPG (160.56 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
DSCN6305.JPG
DSCN6305.JPG (160.56 KiB) Viewed 1171 times

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

I don't think there is any need not to trust the whole of Europe's postal systems Asa. Maybe Italy or something but not the UK.

Anyway I'd very much like a copy/scan of that template and have sent pm.

asashaw
Approved Member

Post by asashaw »

Dr. Robotnik wrote:I don't think there is any need not to trust the whole of Europe's postal systems Asa. Maybe Italy or something but not the UK.

Anyway I'd very much like a copy/scan of that template and have sent pm.
i know but if it did happen, i would be very upset. scan on its way for you, and for all other users also.