Nitro Pro ST 2WD - Need help restoring

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

CHRIS

Nitro Pro ST 2WD - Need help restoring

Post by CHRIS »

Hi all. I have aquired this truck recently, it came from a poor home :cry:

I've seen it running pretty good before, until a nasty mishap...
I've managed to source a couple of parts so far to restore it but they are hard to find it seems, the manual says 1996 on the cover so I'm not surprised really.
Attachments
st1.jpg

CHRIS

Re: Nitro Pro ST 2WD - Need help restoring

Post by CHRIS »

It's current state...
Attachments
st3.jpg
st2.jpg

CHRIS

Post by CHRIS »

Came with a non standard TVR body, getting an original or similar would be nice. :)
A few spares were there too but not the ones I really need! :cry:

The crash wrecked the front chassis plate, front bulkhead, servo arm and both steering arms.

The first two parts i've sourced, I'm guessing it won't be too hard to find a similar shape current little servo arm, but i'm stumped as to replacing the steering arm set - KYOC5991 XR-16

Any help is much appreciated for the part or alternative that may fit.

Thanks.

CHRIS

Post by CHRIS »

Ahh... I just found a pic of the parts I really need on a thread by RedScampi.

Mine are smashed into a dozen bits, if I glued them together they would look just like this :lol: , but not be of any use.
Attachments
part.jpg
part.jpg (29.24 KiB) Viewed 2156 times
part.jpg
part.jpg (29.24 KiB) Viewed 2156 times

purpletimbo
Approved Member

Post by purpletimbo »

My Pro-x ST
might be what your original shell looked like

CHRIS

Post by CHRIS »

Yes, that shell definately fits the picture :)
This truck really reminds me of a car I used to have, going a long way back now... a Schumacher Nitro 10 Storm I think it was called, makes me want to fix it back up even more. :D

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

CHRIS wrote:This truck really reminds me of a car I used to have, going a long way back now... a Schumacher Nitro 10 Storm I think it was called, makes me want to fix it back up even more. :D
Something like this, Chris? http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=67780&sid=154

Nitro 10s are one of my favourites....... think there's 5 or 6 in my stores.....

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

CHRIS

Post by CHRIS »

Incredible_Serious wrote:
CHRIS wrote:This truck really reminds me of a car I used to have, going a long way back now... a Schumacher Nitro 10 Storm I think it was called, makes me want to fix it back up even more. :D
Something like this, Chris? http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=67780&sid=154

Nitro 10s are one of my favourites....... think there's 5 or 6 in my stores.....

Alex
Thats it! Man that brings back some memories, those yellow wheels :D I wonder if its still up in my parents attic, although I have a feeling it got chucked in the bin.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Thats it! Man that brings back some memories, those yellow wheels :D I wonder if its still up in my parents attic, although I have a feeling it got chucked in the bin.[/quote]

Find out matey, we'll get her back and growling again..... and get the truck running again, too!!!! lol...

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

CHRIS

Post by CHRIS »

I couldnt make it to my local shop yesterday before closing to try and get a new replacement arm for the servo, then I noticed a plastic picture hook I had in the kitchen that looking shockingly similar to the shape and size of the original arm...

10 mintues of fettling later and I had a replacement part (see below) :) It will do for now, not sure how it would hold up to some rough driving use but the plastic seemed quite tough. So it got me thinking, i'm gonna do the same and mock up the arms I need too, then when my final part arrives (soon hopefully), I can stick it all together and check the geometry, if its good then I will most likely go ahead and use the plastic arms as a template to make some from alloy. Save me continually searching for this part, I'm not bothered about complete originallity restoring, as long as it works and 'looks' are a decent standard I will be happy :)
Attachments
20012009071.jpg

CHRIS

Post by CHRIS »

The steering arm mock up is done. It's not pretty by any means, but it serves a purpose for now and every joint is in the right place. I used some bits of what was left of the original broken parts, don't get the full benefit of the ballracers top and bottom of each stalk like before but it's tight enough that it still moves easily. My black plastic arms are not really strong enough material but I believe would stand up to flat tarmac use, any bumps or jumps in the vertical plane and I think they wouldn't last long.
Attachments
22012009073.jpg
22012009072.jpg

CHRIS

Post by CHRIS »

I've now replaced a few more parts, this one below had so many bends I would called it rippled...
Attachments
24012009075.jpg

CHRIS

Post by CHRIS »

Well after a time of waiting on parts then putting it all back together, it was ready to run, or so I thought...

So I started it up pretty easy on my patio, got it to idle nice, got the brake adjusted, let it warm up for a bit then did some small circles checking the steering, all good so far.

So then I put it onto the grass area which had a little bit more space, I could open the throttle about 10% so nothing high speed. I drove it round going fine for about 2 minutes, taking it easy. It then started to bog down and cut out. It hadnt cut out up till now while i was turning, braking, coming to a complete stand still it was fine till then...

So I got it back to the patio and placed it down and noticed it didnt free wheel, it was like the clutch was still engaged. (When I was rebuilding I noticed then clutch shoes were a bit worn so I sourced an original new set of shoes and put them in.) So I quickly took the clutch apart to find that the brand new shoes had melted themselves on to the inside of the clutch!!

So I gently as possible prised the shoes out, they are a bit rough looking but still usable I think.

So my question is: Why did this happen?

Surely this should not have happened in such a short space of distance/time with a brand new set of clutch shoes...
I can figure it out and I dont want to put the shoes back in if thats going to happen straight away again.
Like I said before it was a very short run taking it easy, slows speed. Its not like a was burying the throttle full and giving it some harsh treatment.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

purpletimbo
Approved Member

Post by purpletimbo »

Possibly running it slow was the problem, no wind cooling, and just like riding the clutch on a full size, they should grab and hold almost straight away, sounds as if they were slipping all the time, maybe a weaker spring to engage sooner?
Or give it more welly. :D

CHRIS

Post by CHRIS »

Thats what I have been thinking, slow running probably does work the clutch more, but it was such a short period of time I didnt imagine that happening. The shoes came with a new spring so I guess it would actually be stiffer than the old one. The old one is pretty messed up, but i guess i could try putting it in as its bound to be weaker.

I will take it to a larger area next time so I dont have to potter around at slow speeds.

I also thought of trying to get some alloy shoes, would this help any??

Thanks