desperate about my CAT 1 !! Finally happy !!

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

michi
Approved Member

desperate about my CAT 1 !! Finally happy !!

Post by michi »

Hello everybody !

I'm new in this great forum and i hope somebody can help me and my CAT 1 . I realised an old dream a few months ago and bought a CAT 1 in the bay. The car is in really great shape . Just as i catch how to set pictures in this forum I will share my delight with you out there. :P
What really need is a wing. A complete body set would be better, but a wing would be enough for me. I know this sad storys about the distroyed original mounts and know , that KAMTEC still offers no wings, just the Repro- XL bodys.
Has anything changed the last few months ? Is there anyone out there who knows anything about a lonely CAT 1 body/wing which would be happy to make my car complete ?? :D
Pardon about my rusted English . Hope somebody can still help me !

best regards. I really enjoy this great place.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Re: desperate about my CAT 1

Post by Eau Rouge »

As far as I know, there are no repros of the short wheelbase body. There were rumors last fall of Schumacher reproducing a small run on their own, but I have not been able to get any more info from the Schumacher USA boys about it.

I have an original bottom sheet that includes the various pieces including the lower tray, motor cover and I believe the stock wing. If anyone is interested in repro'ing these, I would definitely be open to donating this to the cause to get more made.

I think Jay has the body or top sheet, so I know we have the whole set between the Schuey fellas here on the form.

doug

michi
Approved Member

Post by michi »

Hello Doug

Thanks for you answer. Did you ever read or heard about a feasible way to fabricate a mould on the basis of a lexan body? I'm searching about a possibilty since a long time and I was not able to find a good tip anywere.I think i would risk it with my cat -body.The body has just two little rifts but the colour isnt very nice. Would it be possible for example to abuse the body as a epoxy resin- mould ? In my opinion the cat 1 would be absolutely worthy to try anything.

minichamps11
Approved Member

Post by minichamps11 »

I don't believe anyone has repro'd the wings, unfortunately for us. The closest I could find was an old RC10 wing that Associated still sell. I can't remember the part number but Jeroen might as he was the one who told me about it. It's not perfect as it's a little bit big, but the style is the same as the CAT / XL / XLS wing.

By the way michi, your English is excellent so no worries there :-)

michi
Approved Member

Post by michi »

many thanks for your compliment ! I'm using a book and try to remember my schooldays :lol: I'm glad to be understandable. I see you are from UK ! Maybe you can explain me why the CAT 1 is so rare compared to the XL . As i bought the Cat, i was sure it should become a runner . Now I have an idea how difficult it is to find spare parts . The cat goes definitely on the shelf :D But a shelfer without a nice wing ?? The wings of Cat 1 and XL are not exactly identical, right ?

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

This is a 6" Associated wing, but I think they used to have a 5" version that was very similar to the original Schumacher wing.

I don't know about the rest of you, but the first thing that was thrown out from a new kit was the wing. Every car that was built new got whatever the hot setup wing was at the time. In this case, we used Parma Monster wings with the big side pods. I think from the first day I ever saw the original Schumacher in the U.S., they ALL had scoop wings and sidepods. My brother posted a video somehwere of the debut weekend for the CAT in the US at a local indoor dirt track.

In my book, the SWB CAT is one of the rarest and most coveted Schumachers ever made. I have two in various states of re-build, and the only things I am missing are the original bodies. In 10+ years of digging for parts and cars, the bodies are the single hardest items I have searched for.

doug

michi
Approved Member

Post by michi »

Thanks for this asso link. looks interesting and could be a alternativ. Unfortunately the seller doesnt offer shipping outside the US :( I will try to contact and pursuade him :wink:
You are looking 10+ years about the body parts ?? Wow !! This is almost becalming to me and it is great to hear my SWB is such a rare car. I never forgott this totaly black racer which burned the competitors in a local little race here about 1986/87 . I started a little collection 2 years ago and the cat was the MUSTHAVE number 1 :D

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

I have been looking for SWB CAT cars and parts since I started collecting anything R/C right around when I started playing with eBay in 1998. I have never seen a body sold on eBay or elsewhere that was new and unpainted (doesn't mean it hasn't happened though). I acquired the bottom tray in a purchase of a LOT of parts from the UK, including a partial car that was missing a lot of parts and had a lot of incorrect parts in place. Since then, I found a stock of the early blue and white label parts from the early cars in a hidden bin at an old hobby shop in the area, and bought out most of the usable remaining stock.

Rear 4-row authentic tires, early grey front bumpers, original black wheels, all Lexan items (including the belt covers), and diff case aluminum side plates have been the hardest things to find over the years. The body has been the worst, though. I have enough for 2 cars (one new and one as a very clean runner, if I want), and I have no bodies for either of them.

I poked my US Schumacher contact again to see if there is any more word on a short run of bodies coming out of the UK.

buttmonkey1969

Post by buttmonkey1969 »

Just wondering what a new (cut) upper & lower SWB shell is worth ? paid $100AUD (about $65US) inc lower chassis plate (also new) a couple of months ago.... seemed like a bargain !

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

Hi Guys,

It would be easier for you to convert it to the long wheelbase version and get the repros from Kamtec. As someone mentioned the original wing was a very flimsy item and alot of people changed them to aftermarket ones (old Frewer ones come to mind). Whilst we are on the subject of CATS does anyone have the battery clamps they wish to sell?

jeroen206
Approved Member

Post by jeroen206 »

If someone gone make some repro's , than i want a couple off sets.

There are some shells and undertrays around , i know a couple off people with the shells and undertrays.
And they are members over here.

michi
Approved Member

Post by michi »

Hello uzzi,

No way :shock: !! This " 1:12 look " of the SWB is so special and cool . Rather I'll wait 10 years or longer ( like doug ) for a body/wing . At the moment my purpose is growing to produce a SWB body by myself anywise.
About the clamps ! As my Cat came to me there were 3 spare parts within. 1 or 2 short belts, 1 main gear and ... yes .... the battery clamps !!! :D I could sell it to you . Actually i would prefer to swap it if you have some interesting stuff. It would be difficult for me to quote a price, you know ?

best regards

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

uzzi wrote:It would be easier for you to convert it to the long wheelbase version and get the repros from Kamtec. As someone mentioned the original wing was a very flimsy item and alot of people changed them to aftermarket ones (old Frewer ones come to mind).
Wow, what a terrible idea. I don't WANT a long wheelbase car—anyone can have one of those with 10 minutes of patience. I'd rather have an unfinished car for another 10 years. :? :shock: :|

And yes, $65 is a steal for the body and undertray. I would think that the body sheet alone would push $100 in an auction environment.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

I have a new SWB body and I need to take doug up on the SWB chassis protector, then all will be good.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

WHoa..Guys I did not want to start something here...I do acknowledge that a SWB cat is pretty cool....each to their own on the wait.

Michi,

What were you chasing?
My RC car collection comprise mainly of vintage and modern 1/8 buggies. I also have some 1/10 buggies namely kyosho, CAT and some road cars.
Let me know