Project B-Basher

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Tadracket
Approved Member

Project B-Basher

Post by Tadracket »

Well, I have been here for a while now and posted no pics of myself or any of my cars. So I thought it was time to join the crowd and extend my level of participation.

I asked the question last week if I should bash or restore this car:

Bashing it was the consensus. It is a "B" chassis and I was unsure of it's collect ability.

Well here it is on the chopping block:

The front arms are on there way to Ferretti. The rest of the white stuff looked too nice to bash so I took apart my other basher and it is now a donor car. Looks like all I will be using of the "B" car is the chassis and stealth.

More pics to come in the near future.

And just for kicks, here is a pic I have in my email of me 4th of July weekend so everyone can see (sorta) what I look like and other things I do for fun :D

This is Snaps. He is about 12 feet long and lives in a lake
a few miles from my house. He is the Alfa male best
we can tell. The lake is right on the road and traffic is
less than 5 cars an hour, so this is a good place to
"interact" with nature :lol:
He's an idiot. Comes from upbringing. His parents are probably idiots too.

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

Well, I pulled a bone-head move Sunday. After taking apart my old runner to build the new one, I put all my parts in a cleaning solution, but it was getting late so instead of doing only the white parts, I just checked the entire front and rear assembly in. Shocks, bearings and all. Went to work yesterday at 6:30am and quit at 5:30pm. Hung out till 6:00pm and taught my web design class till 9:00pm. It was the last class so we went over 9:00. It was 10:00pm when I got home last night.

I was getting ready to go to bed when I saw the milk jug with the cut-out top I put all my parts in. So I thought I would see how things were going. The white stuff was looking pretty good. I was pleased. But when I saw the shocks, :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I put a little bleach in which oxidizes aluminum. OK, maybe I put a lot of bleach in because it basically ate the shocks away. They are ruined, all four of the. Now the brass balls look exquisite but all other metal was rusted beyond identification or ate away.

So today I morn the loss of a good set of shocks. I will go home today and gut them, install everything in new bodies. The other metal parts are cleaning up nicely, but all the aluminum is ruined.

I am glad I did not drop my aluminum steering components in there.
Lesson learned :oops:

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Hey don't worry dude. I massacred a beautiful set of Kyosho golds in a similar way. I was actually trying to strip mine of the anodizing and left them in to long and fried them (after 20 mins they looked fine, with some anodizing left, after 30 mins they were destroyed). You live and learn huh?

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

Dr. Robotnik wrote:...You live and learn huh?
I hope I do :lol:

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

So the rule to live by:

White plastic parts in bleach: OK
Alum parts in bleach: NOT OK

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

So far, the parts are cleaned, chassis has been filled and painted and it is starting to go back together. These pics were not suppose to be this big.

This is a pic of my original basher. Since it is being replaced, it is being stripped for parts.

This is the new B Basher ready for completion. Since the battery was going to cover the inside holes, I did not bother doing any fill inside the tub. Most of it will be covered.

The belly is not perfect but considering what I had to start with, I think it is turning out OK.

I think this is the top I am going to use. A few stickers and it should look pretty good. The wheels are still up in the air. I like the aluminum but have a set that might be perfect for this car.

Hopefully, I'll get the chance to finish it this weekend. If I get it looking much better though, it might end up on the shelf. I'll build another basher if that is the case or I'll just get me a 3.3 Rustler to bash.

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

Here is the finished project, burnt shocks and all. On the shocks, the chemical bath that tried to eat them did manage to eat away the groove at the bottom of the body the snap ring sits in. I took some heat shrink tubing and a pinion gear and shrunk the tubing while pressing it into the bottom of the body at the same time. Once they cooled, they fell right off, but a few dabs a super glue and they are there for the long run. Anyway, I don't know if I will be running this or not. It is not perfect, but it does look good on the shelf. I am getting more and more nitro stuff so this one will probably be retired.