Custom touring car build

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

fbmstar
Approved Member

Custom touring car build

Post by fbmstar »

So, i just put this car in the build of the month contest, and figured I'd make this thread to cheat my way into some more pictures :wink:

Actually, I found some older pictures that i took when i first completed it, and it looks much better all shiny and new. Couldn't locate these before the contest deadline.

I wanted to make something a little different, 4WD with 3 diffs. It also had to be made out of magnesium as I kind of have a thing for that material.

The steering linkage looks a bit funny, but I assure you I spent a lot of time getting the geometry correct. The diffs are all for 1/8 scale. I happened to have them and no 1/10 scale stuff. They look a little clunky, but do the job. I can't remember the exact numbers, but the whole thing came out to around 1300 grams. It was 40 or 60 grams lighter than the minimum weight, so a little bit of room for adding weight for good distribution. I'm going off of memory from 10 years ago, so forgive me if the numbers are off.

I built this over the winter (many winters ago) to race at the local track. I took it up there in the spring to race, and someone apparently stole the van that stored all the on-road track equipment. This car has sat on the shelf since as they have never re-introduced that type of racing around me. Anywho, here's some photos.
Attachments
2.jpg
1.jpg
DSC00042.JPG
DSC00040.JPG
DSC00039.JPG
DSC00037.JPG
DSC00033.JPG
DSC00036.JPG
DSC00032.JPG
DSC00030.JPG

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Re: Custom touring car build

Post by klavy69 »

Moved this down here to give the members the ability to talk and ask questions about this build. It really is a nice piece of work!
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!