I Love the 60s/70s/80s/90s and 2000s!

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MOmo
Approved Member

I Love the 60s/70s/80s/90s and 2000s!

Post by MOmo »

Sparked by a Discussion on AFX and Slot Cars, I brought this up in a different forum and it might be kind of cool to see what other hobbies/collections/toys you all might have played with in your youth (or if you never grow up- now)

someone posted up an article on toys and things that they once played with and were really into, and have since forgot about and or outgrown & don't really play with much. Some people are too old to play with toys, but Im always going to be a big kid. If it wasn't so childish, I still would!

So, I still have toys from my childhood, many of which I hope to share w/ my children someday. Does anyone still collect or have items from their youth they have still held onto? Anyone want to admitting to playing with toys even though they may have outgrown them?

Some of the stuff I've held onto:
-GI Joes (Soon to be a major motion picture - http://www.gijoemovie.com/ )
-Hot Wheels/Matchbox (I still collect them sort-of)
-Stompers
-Star Wars
-Plastic models
-LEGOs
-Slot cars
-Electric Trains
-Lincoln Logs

I never got into stuff like TMNT, Transformers, Go-Bots. (Though, Transformers would have been a wise investment!!)

MOmo

ROH73
Approved Member

Re: I Love the 60s/70s/80s/90s and 2000s!

Post by ROH73 »

I pretty much still have all my "major" toys. Some, such as the Matchbox cars, have already been transferred to my kids and they have a blast with them. I still have:

-Star Wars
-Matchbox/Hot Wheels
-Dukes of Hazzard
-Slot Cars
-Tonkas (although, I started collecting the 10" Jeeps as an adult)
-Transformers
-View Master
-Lego
-Comic books

I've sold some stuff over the past couple of years: Garbage Pail Kids, M.A.S.K., etc. I still can not believe the prices I got :D .

On a related note, I also loved the Three Investigators mystery books as a kid and have been collecting them for about 25 years now. Even have a website devoted to it: http://www.tunneltwo.com.

Regards,

Robert

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

I had lots of stuff as a kid but either lost it, mutilated it or my mom trach canned it. the few things I held onto were my Stompers which I now have about 40 of them. Another thing I dig is Legos. I have bought my son a ton of it and of course dad gets to "help" him

MOmo
Approved Member

Post by MOmo »

Yea, my son is only 16 mo, so a bit small for Legos now, but when he is older.... Look out. As for stompers, a few. I have some Tonka toys, but not many. I'll need an entire house with rooms JUST for my toys!

Sho: Have you heard of these guys? http://www.brickarms.com/default.aspx Lego Arms!

MOmo

gula
Approved Member

Post by gula »

I dont have most of my stuff from when I was a kid, wish i's kept it. These are the things I played with

GI-Joe
Starcom<- not a lot of folks remember those (small folks in space suits and the vehicles were wind up and when you pushed a button the weapons would pop out or do some other cool action
LEGO-technic< still have all of it
Matchbox cars<- my favorite was a stingray looking corvete and a truck of some sort both had real worn out springs and would always jump really cool.
Bruder and Playmobile sandbox toys<-German equivalent to Tonka or Nylint
I have five terrorists going southeast on Bakalakadaka street.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Sort of in-order of what I was into:

Lincoln logs
Radio Flyer little red wagon
Matchbox and Hotwheels
tricycle
Star Wars
big wheel
GI Joe (the smaller plastic ones, not the big ones)
bicycle
Legos
model cars (Revel, Monogram, AMT/Ertl)
model train (we had one set up in our basement since I was a baby)
Transformers
Tyco slot cars
Nintendo
Tyco Turbo Hopper
freestyle bmx
Tamiya Fox
Losi Jrx2

I've still got all my Star Wars, Matchbox, GI Joe and Transformers in my parent's attic. Actually, I have all the Star Wars figures out here. The 80's was a great time for toys.

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

funny how so many of us are into similar things aside from RC.

This past winter we had 3 tracks in the basement running at once: HO slot cars, HO trains(thomas, annie and clarabel), and Lionel trains(polar express)

Luckily my wife is a total christmas geek, so I get the green light to buy almost anything from lionel as long as it is christmas related. :mrgreen:

I sold off most of our old slot cars a while back, we run mostly newer ones. They are rediculously fast, so I hook up 5 or 6 cell RC packs as the power supply and they are slow enough that the kids can run them without constantly flying off the track.
I don't know why them make variable controllers, is there really any need for a speed besides on or off? :lol:

We currently have a coffee table converted with some scrap plywood into a 4'x4' lego world. I never had anything other than the basic brick packs as a kid, so I am loving all the new stuff we have acumulated. Building a city is not cheap though, so It is slow going

One thing not mentioned yet is the good old erector set!
I bought a couple used sets last year and managed to combine all the good pieces into one Complete kit, the exact one I had as a kid! It is, packed away in a box though, only so much room.

I had been collecting hotwheels/diecast since the late 90's, but it got to be rediculous, there are just so many special/limited editions and variations, that I gave up, sold everything and now only casually collect and only VW-related stuff. I currently have about 7 48car cases filled with unique vw's from multiple manufacturers. I have a bunch more unopened as some limiteds have such nice packaging that I haven't brought myself to open them yet. The kids have tons of random hotwheels all over the place, somewhere in the 300 range at last count. Once in a while I break out the HW track for some gravity racing

Aparently the collecting/hoarding has rubbed off on my daughter, has anybody seen how much an american girl doll and accessories cost :shock:

bscotti
Approved Member

Post by bscotti »

Same as everyone else goes for me. Still pretty big into Lionel trains, mostly the older stuff. One of the first things I did when I bought a house was to build a decent sized layout.
aconsola wrote: Apparently the collecting/hoarding has rubbed off on my daughter, has anybody seen how much an american girl doll and accessories cost :shock:
I feel your pain, my brother!
Classics rule, moderns drool

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

aconsola wrote:One thing not mentioned yet is the good old erector set!
Forgot about that one! I still have that as well, but it was my father's so it's from about 1945. All metal everything (even the wheels), with nice sharp edges. Unsafe, but awesome. :D

I also have my father's tether car from 1948 or so. I've restored, but never run it. Very cool.

How about Tinkertoys? I had a couple of sets of those...they may still be somewhere in my parents' house.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Oh boy! I don't want to get into this! :mrgreen: I was bad with all my toys. I craved army toys as a kid and I still do with all my RC Tanks and airsoft and real guns I have now. Not to mention my RC Spitfire, Folkewolf and PT109 boat.

I had the usual Hotwheels, Corgi, etc, but loved my GI Joe's and Action Men (British GI Joe) the cool 12" type with fuzz for hair and some with moving eyes. I had many burn victims from gasoline bombs. :twisted: Same with all my Army Men, plastic model tanks and planes. The garden hose was not close all the time. :cry: Firecrackers were cool as well. I was a bad kid and did not look after my toys. Slingshots, spear guns and home made derby carts were cool. Later got a KX80 and ATC's, XR250. Oh! My Frog and RC10!

I have not grown up yet!!!! :twisted: :mrgreen:

ps: Remember the Six Million Dollar Man Action Figure???? That was cool as well! Another burn victim! :oops: :cry: :twisted:

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

I think most people into rc are into building things in general-- legos, tinkertoyrs, etc. so we'll all have a lot in common. Plus most of us fall into that 30-50 year old group that remembers when toys didn't have to be smooth enough to pass safely thru a kid's colon. :roll:
My favorite was my Girder & Panel set-- it was plastic beams and plastic panels with windows and doors. You could build skyscapers with working elevators-- I even had a bridge set that you could make an incredible suspension bridge. I still have it and my son has built a few huge buildings.
http://www.girderpanel.com/

My kids have all my old stuff now. I get grief from a lot of people for letting them play with vintage Star Wars toys, slot cars, NES, etc (instead of selling) but I saved them all so that we could play with them together. :D
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

tizeye
Approved Member

Post by tizeye »

Did you guys have Dinky toys?
Attachments
91055768_full.jpg

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

G.I. Joe
M.A.S.K
Hot wheels/matchbox
Micro machines
Teenage Mutant ninja turtles
Model cars
pinewood derby cars

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

Starcom<- not a lot of folks remember those (small folks in space suits and the vehicles were wind up and when you pushed a button the weapons would pop out or do some other cool action
very cool they had magnets on feet and alot of other stuff worked with magnets..ok this is great i love 80s ..80s is the last of very cool stuff ..the stuff was kinda high tech and they were not too afraid of lawers yet...ATCs 3wheelers tons of fun r.i.p 1988 .. lawn darts. Slingshots.cool waterguns, cap guns and suction cup/dart guns..in fact in the late 80s i had a suction cup/dart machine gun..it shot mini suction cup darts. only about 2 inches long!! . i dont know how they got away selling this to kids but it was really cool..i had alot of fun toys ,heman ,1 of the best action toys ever...,little plastic 3 wheelers, bmx bikes, 80s skateboards, 3.3/4gijoes,inhumanoids,Transformers,Tyco slot cars,and slot tractor trailer trucks!! (alot more fun!!) ,Stompers,mask,Legos,constructs,tmnt,Micro machines,hotwheels,bigfoot,the animal,flex,and a ton of other cars and trucks i that i had and cant think of the name,and anyone remember manglor mountain?? its the end to most good stuff, lawers have killed all the fun...kids under 16 cant even buy a good new mini bike,or atv now .. the fun of the 2stroke engine is almost totally gone.. and even allmost all the off road toys,atvs ,dirt bikes you need a computer to work on (fuel injection),no thanks..sorry kids no more fun now