Happy happy joy joy

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

bearrickster
Approved Member

Re: Happy happy joy joy

Post by bearrickster »

Drusky wrote:Lovely, I've been wondering if it isn't possible to make a silicon mould of these tires and then cast some copies out of a two pack rubber resin.
this guy is a friend of mine he does it for model cars, talk to him he might do it for you, since hes set up to do it already?

http://www.compresins.com/
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Where's this project at so far?

aeiou
Approved Member

Post by aeiou »

Soaking. :wink:

And it does have the e-clip gear drive pivot and slotted shock pistons. 8) I hope to have some time to start putting her back together this weekend.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

aeiou wrote:Soaking. :wink:

And it does have the e-clip gear drive pivot and slotted shock pistons. 8) I hope to have some time to start putting her back together this weekend.
Hey Paul, I was just wondering if your Edinger '10 came with a hard or soft lexan gear cover. Maybe you remember the "middle" (compared to "early" and "late") mint Edinger car I bought a year ago or so, that one had a hard (not bendable) gear cover that has the same shape as the "early" ones, except that all the early cars I managed to scoop so far have a "soft" and very brittle gear cover. Just trying to unveil all the Edinger car differences... I'm really looking forward to your build 8)

aeiou
Approved Member

Post by aeiou »

Hi David. I'd say mine falls more into the soft-but-brittle category. That probably sounds like a contradiction in terms to most, but I know what you mean. I can twist it some, but I can tell it would snap if I went too far.
IMG_0571.jpg
What’s interesting as well is the body. The Lexan that was used for this one is very thick and tough - much thicker than the gear cover and later versions of the ProTech.
IMG_0567.jpg

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

You are right that the first Protech bodies were thicker/stiffer/heavier lexan. I have an X version (came prepainted). I no longer have the original lexan gear cover, because it ripped at the screw hole(s) (because it was thin and didn't last) and I replaced it with an aftermarket one, (Parma I think), similar clear lexan but with the red plug to get at the diff nut. -Brian

Maybe Mr Lex can chime in with a comment or two?
- Brian -

My Gallery

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

aeiou wrote:Hi David. I'd say mine falls more into the soft-but-brittle category. That probably sounds like a contradiction in terms to most, but I know what you mean. I can twist it some, but I can tell it would snap if I went too far.
IMG_0571.jpg
What’s interesting as well is the body. The Lexan that was used for this one is very thick and tough - much thicker than the gear cover and later versions of the ProTech.
IMG_0567.jpg
I can second that as well, both mine have bodies that seemed to be pulled out of .040

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Charlie don't surf wrote:
aeiou wrote:Hi David. I'd say mine falls more into the soft-but-brittle category. That probably sounds like a contradiction in terms to most, but I know what you mean. I can twist it some, but I can tell it would snap if I went too far.
IMG_0571.jpg
IMG_0567.jpg
I can second that as well, both mine have bodies that seemed to be pulled out of .040
And I would third that, lol. I should have said thin and thick different versions, my bad :oops: The lexan used for the second version is at least 1mm thicker than the original brittle version.

Early version:

Later version:

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Don't know if this helps or not, but mine is not too thick ( but the one pic shows bubbles or some foreign matter in the material) and is still very flexible, but it has never seen the light of day so that may have something to do with it.

*side note* It's amazing how much darker our cars look than they really are without 4300k light

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

Lexan has to be 'dried' before forming, so those bubbles are probably a result of too much moisture in the Lexan. The Associated gear covers, the translucent white ones, are not Lexan, so they probably do not need to be baked like that.

I toured Associated's factory in 1992 and got to see the forming 'shop'. They actually converted a large refrigerator into an oven to dry and heat the Lexan (I didn't know it was to dry it as well at the time), then pulled out one huge sheet at a time, placed them over a big table with several plugs for bodies and driver figures and wings on it, then hit the switch and sucked it down. Very cool process to watch.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Coming back to tires, the Goodyear ones were definitely made by AYK or coming through one of their suppliers. Here are some pics from present evilpay auctions:

AYK Buffalo, engine version with logo: (guy is asking a fair price for this one)

AYK Buffalo, electric version without logo: