WC1982's 1/10th scale thread

The place for digital versions of specific articles and ads.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

scr8p
Administrator

Re: WC1982's 1/10th scale thread

Post by scr8p »

and there it is....................... :lol:

WC1982
Approved Member

Post by WC1982 »

Shawn still has that car and it is a work of art. He tried running it one year but was never able to keep it on the ground. The problem with ground effects on R/C cars is that to be effective they need to keep a good seal with the ground. Unfortunately the bumps on even the smoothest tracks are enough to let air in under the car. I'll see if I can get some photos of it.

WC1982
Approved Member

Post by WC1982 »

drbelleville wrote:Kent, is there any chance any of your Speed run cars would get dusted off and receive some new capped tires? Maybe make a nostalgic apearance at the R/C Insane Speed Run Challenges?

I think BSR still makes caps :)
I'd bring my cars out for display, but if I ran I'd probably build something new or a replica of one of my old cars. I still have a box of special speed run chassis plates.

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

couple questions about how you would setup your diffs for a speed run. did you have to run the diff a bit tighter than usual? was there anything you would do to the diff assembly so it wouldn't slip at high speed? d-rings or notched, aluminum nut vs nylon nut, etc.. did you prefer any kind of special hubs that worked best in a speed run?

also there's been something i kept forgetting to ask you about. i noticed that you had an antenna that looks like it was made out of a thin piece of music wire. did that increase your radio signal? or was it for another purpose?

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

I think the wire used was to reduce the drag.

Kent- It would be cool to see the cars, even if they are not going to run. Even a replica would be cool.

On another note, did you ever run the HPI 10GW On-Road chassis in any race, or even the Oval Version?

WC1982
Approved Member

Post by WC1982 »

littleVETTE wrote:couple questions about how you would setup your diffs for a speed run. did you have to run the diff a bit tighter than usual? was there anything you would do to the diff assembly so it wouldn't slip at high speed? d-rings or notched, aluminum nut vs nylon nut, etc.. did you prefer any kind of special hubs that worked best in a speed run?

also there's been something i kept forgetting to ask you about. i noticed that you had an antenna that looks like it was made out of a thin piece of music wire. did that increase your radio signal? or was it for another purpose?
I never felt a lot of differences with diffs over the years. Some guys like Chris Doseck always spent a ton of time getting them perfect, but for me the car felt the same regardless of how perfect I got it. Notched or D-rings both work good. Aluminum nylock nut, replace them before they get too worn. Basically I just used carbide diff balls and Associated Diff Grease and kept it fairly clean. I had a bunch of cool hubs over the years... magnesium, delrin, hogged out aluminum. But for the speed runs I didn't get too exotic because one crash would destroy things.

We used piano wire antennas for a long time. They were the first "roll-over" antennas and you could easily bend them to shape (as long as you had Snap-On Lineman pliers). I think for some of the speed runs I ran thinner piano wire to reduce drag. The velodrome tracks were HUGE and you needed good reception to prevent glitches.

WC1982
Approved Member

Post by WC1982 »

drbelleville wrote:I think the wire used was to reduce the drag.

Kent- It would be cool to see the cars, even if they are not going to run. Even a replica would be cool.

On another note, did you ever run the HPI 10GW On-Road chassis in any race, or even the Oval Version?
By the time the 10GW came out I had already retired from competitive racing so I didn't race it at any big races. We did put together a team for the 1/10 on-road worlds in Pomona and Chris Doseck ran the 10GW there. I built a few 10GO cars for oval racing, nice cars.

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

Kent-

THanks for the info. Are there any pics of the car Chris used? I see him pop up every now and then at on-road events here and there.

Bud Bartos

Post by Bud Bartos »

Don't forget those Bud's ceramic diff rings from back in the hey day of 1/10th oval !!! You could run a 500 lap enduro and the diff was the same at the end as the start.

I never did so well in the speed runs :( Always blew the tires apart :lol:

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

Bud-

Did you ever have a front end, I seen on on another site on an RC10L yet I am not sure if it was a sticker on a Trinity front end? I just would like to know.

PS: Maybe there needs to be a thread dedicated to your cars :)

I see you may have changed your profile!
Attachments
BUDs front end?
BUDs front end?

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

thats bud's super machine II front end.

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

Cool to know, was this along the same time Trinity was developing their front end?

Bud Bartos

Post by Bud Bartos »

Thats right Bud's super machine II That thing had all sorts of adjustments !!!! Yes I think it was but ours would fit the associated cars and I don't beleive the Trinity one did.

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

No the trinity was really narrow (it would not fit the 10L SS even) , they had the EV10 chassis which ran the cells down the center and was a "link" Car. What are the chances of those coming out again? :) I imagine like the Trinity they require a bunch of maintenance.

Thank you

Bud Bartos

Post by Bud Bartos »

No not much maitanance, but the average racer didn't really know what all the settings did. Caster, camber, roll center, chamber and caster gain !!! That front end had more adjustments than a real race car :lol: