New shocks released by ae!

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Brandon G
Approved Member

Re: New shocks released by ae!

Post by Brandon G »

Some question why a bottom cap?

I have built my fair share of just about every shock on the market. The Associated shocks that have the top load orings/spacers/locking tab I believe were done that way to keep the cost down on manufacturing. The problem I have with this design is that I have had many of the locking tabs release and thus allowing the seals to come up on the shaft and dump oil everywhere. It's happened to me numerous times and it is very aggrevating. And yes, I did assemble them correctly. I can only imagine others had the had the same problem as I did. (ask Masami)

As far as these being labeled as "emulsion" style shocks..... Like that is a benefit....
It is an easy way of saying hey, we don't use bladders, so there HAS to be air in there to keep the shock from hydraulic locking.

I talked for a while to Paul at X factory. They use primarily Losi shocks due to their consistent build. Not to say Losi doesn't have their stinkers. Most of the Sliders I beleive have moulded shocks. I could be wrong. Another made in China problem as far as I can see it.

I ran a Kyosho ZX-5 when it first came out. It had the velvet shocks, and all I can say is that I never had issues out of them. Very smooth, easy to build. The bad thing about them at the time was their lack of available spring rate options. I'm sure in the 3 years since I ran that car, they probably have plenty to choose from now.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Re: New shocks released by ae!

Post by Eau Rouge »

Brandon G wrote:I ran a Kyosho ZX-5 when it first came out. It had the velvet shocks, and all I can say is that I never had issues out of them. Very smooth, easy to build. The bad thing about them at the time was their lack of available spring rate options. I'm sure in the 3 years since I ran that car, they probably have plenty to choose from now.
I found the same issue with spring options. However, I also found that Losi springs are almost a perfect fit, and with Losi spring cups and shock ends, they ARE a perfect fit. And with Losi pistons... mmmmmm, buttery smooth. ;)