6gear Vs. brushless motor

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

CPL_Guimonster

6gear Vs. brushless motor

Post by CPL_Guimonster »

I see a trend that brushless motors are the norm and brushed motors are going out like a vhs tape.
I ask a question: Can a '10 6 gear handle a brushless set up, and how hot can you go before nuclear melt-down.
My other question involves running a brushless in a stealth '10T. My runner chassis is hammered and has already been treated to some aircraft aluminum chassis stiftner plates welded in place. Next is titanium nose tubes.This dirty-dog will be rock solid,but will still be allowed to flex.
Project:X-10A
RC10T (1st Generation)
RC10L
AX10

RichieRich
Approved Member

Re: 6gear Vs. brushless motor

Post by RichieRich »

If you do a search on brushless and 6-gears you will find pictures of many detonated transmissions. :lol: :lol:

Personally, I think brushless is going to create a whole new demand on replacement/stronger parts for 1/10 buggies. Beefier CVDs, heavy duty slipper clutches, fatter spur gears, etc.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

I think you can run a 17.5 brushless in a six gear if you keep the timing down. I think a 13.5 would be pushing it.

metallicats33
Approved Member

Post by metallicats33 »

Best bet is to get a stealth tranny and transfer the gears to an RPM Trans: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEV49&P=7

I've ran a 5700kv motor in my stealth for about 6 or 7 runs at the track with no big problems "spur gear". The Rpm Trans should be a bit better.

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

I have no brushless experience, but had the thought recently... If the 1/10 brushless stuff is sooo powerful, why not run 1/18 brushless in a buggy. I recently fixed up a lunchbox for my son, and used a grsshopper motor plate to mount the 370 brushed motor in it. It gets along well for my eight year old. Since then, I've been wondering what the 18th scale brushless systems might perform like in 1/10. You could even go LiPo to lighten the load....

paul
Approved Member

Post by paul »

I've thought about this, too. I have a mamba micro pro setup that I bought for a tamiya tamtech last year (4200kV motor). It has cost me about 3 tamtech differentials :( Anyway, I had thought about putting it in my re-re grasshopper, but since I plan on restoring an rc10 this summer, that could be a possibility too. Maybe someone else has tried this?

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

Actually I have thought about that for a long, long time; I don't see the need for as much power as these brushless systems produce, so one putting out the power level of a stock or 19-turn spec motor would be nice. Take advantage of the better efficiency to design the motors smaller and lighter, allowing more freedom in the car design. Reduce overall weight, put less strain on the chassis and suspension, etc.

If I can get a cheap 380-size setup someplace I might try it in a Lunchbox axle (in a short-course truck), which was designed for a 380 in the Grasshopper, and uses a huge spacer that puts the motor right out near the rear tire. Just need to find 32 pitch pinions to fit the shaft, or have some drilled out on a lathe and a shaft sleeve made.

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

Brushless is the way to go IMO in all cases. The efficiency and ease of maintaining them are great. Just get a stock type motor and there should be no problems. I have seen the Reedy controller and motors out of the 4.1's on the Bay for about $100. They are 3300kv. That is 23,760 rpm's unloaded at 7.2 volts. That should work OK I would think. I am not sure what rpm's the old Associated stock motors were.
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

Toasted Coastie
Approved Member

Post by Toasted Coastie »

I'm picking up an RC10 this weekend. Don't know which transmission is on it, but I plan on putting the same LRP 13.5 brushless in it when I get done with the build that I have in my Yoke. Its 3300 as well I believe. Cheap little setup with ESC...

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

Yeah, I agree, brushless makes perfect sense, and if I were to start from scratch I would go with it, but I already have 6 or 8 ESCs, a bunch of leftover motors, and about 20-odd cars and trucks (not all of which are full runners at one time of course...). At some point I'll probably unload my current electronics and pick up a couple new radios and brushless systems.