RE-RE Classic Brushless motor

Everything pertaining to the RC10 buggy re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

woodall01
Approved Member

RE-RE Classic Brushless motor

Post by woodall01 »

Question, in my son's "re-classic". We are currently running a Radon 17.5T brushed. I am thinking about converting him to a brushless motor. I am thing about either running a Hobbywing EZRUN Combo SCT, Castle Creations Sidewinder SCT, or Tekin 17.5 T spec (giving him mine an upgrading to a non spec ESC). I was leaning towards either the Hobbywing or Castle due to both of the units being "water resistant" and know what an 8 y/o will do to a the car! I know the transmission will handle any of these motors with out any issues but, I was more worried about the aspect of drivability. Would the Hobbywing or the Castle being to much for this car?

NickTheGreek
Approved Member

Re: RE-RE Classic Brushless motor

Post by NickTheGreek »

In the past 6 months of me bashing with my rc10's ......There was only one instance when as soon as there was impact , I instantly knew there was damage done.
I've cartwheeled across parking lots doing between 40-50 on numerous occasions (a horrible feeling) , crashed with 8th scales....Everytime that happened, I walked up to my car not knowing whether or not there was damage. (Surprisingly,there never was). ......But, the one time I knew instantly that there was damage (mad damage) , was when I had a BBQ at my house n let my 8 yr old cousin ride it in the yard... Within 10 seconds, the thing got mangled.
Instantly....She got the remote, pressed the throttle all the way.....Went across the yard at full throttle, n hit the metal fence post dead on with the front wheel. All I could do was shake me head.

But yeah, they're drivable .....You can always tame it down through the settings on the esc.

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

Considering the age of the child, I would limit the amount of throttle in one way or another. The easiest way to do that I would say is with the radio system, hopefully you have one that has that option. If you can, you don't need to worry too much about what brushless system you buy.

As for the systems you mentioned, the Castle you could "govern" it via castle link and a windows computer by customizing the throttle curve. I don't believe you can do that with a Hobbywing. I doubt simply turning the "punch" down in the basic programming with either system will be enough.
-Kevin

slow_jun
Approved Member

Post by slow_jun »

hoobbywing can also be program via program card via windows, you can mild down the punch , set the profiles etc. depending on your likings.
“It is more shameful to distrust our friends than to be deceived by them.”
― Confucius

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

I turn the throttle down to about 40% (on the radio) when my almost-4-year-old drives my b4. Thats the easiest way to do it. Then as they get better and better you can give them more and more throttle, or if you want to take it for a spin you can just crank it back up.

woodall01
Approved Member

Post by woodall01 »

Thanks, I think I am going to Castle route. I have one already so I don't have to buy another cable. So far, he pretty good at driving it. He has not killed anyone yet or :) I am going to keep on NIMH for now, no LIPO!!

woodall01
Approved Member

Post by woodall01 »

NickTheGreek wrote:In the past 6 months of me bashing with my rc10's ......There was only one instance when as soon as there was impact , I instantly knew there was damage done.
I've cartwheeled across parking lots doing between 40-50 on numerous occasions (a horrible feeling) , crashed with 8th scales....Everytime that happened, I walked up to my car not knowing whether or not there was damage. (Surprisingly,there never was). ......But, the one time I knew instantly that there was damage (mad damage) , was when I had a BBQ at my house n let my 8 yr old cousin ride it in the yard... Within 10 seconds, the thing got mangled.
Instantly....She got the remote, pressed the throttle all the way.....Went across the yard at full throttle, n hit the metal fence post dead on with the front wheel. All I could do was shake me head.

But yeah, they're drivable .....You can always tame it down through the settings on the esc.

Funny you should say that, it's not only kids that do stupid things. We were messing around with my cars after work one day and I let my Boss use one of the Classics. Next thing I know, I hear a loud "bang". It was not good! He hit a curb at near full speed, he bent the front kick plate, cracked on of the a-arms, and also slight bent the frame. Go figure. Needed less to say, he is not allow to drive any more cars again.

NickTheGreek
Approved Member

Post by NickTheGreek »

I hear you.....I don't like anyone driving my rc10's....
I don't wanna drive their car....n I don't want them to drive mine.
If there's damage done, it's gonna be my damage.

My Slash, I'll let anyon drive that. The Rc10s are a different story.....

I have 3 that I ride....and they're all overpowerd....But definitely drivable (and totally fun).
Sometimes traction can get a lil hairy(on dirt) with a 5700kv motor but tires make a HUGE difference.

slow_jun
Approved Member

Post by slow_jun »

Thats why i get a sturdy car for my son and all the 10's are for daddy's use only :-)

Sent from my Nokia Star Tac using Tapatalk
“It is more shameful to distrust our friends than to be deceived by them.”
― Confucius

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

My JRX2 has a Hobbywing Justock esc and 21.5T motor combo. It is equivalent to what stock motors were like in the late 80's and is plenty of fun. My RC10 has a Revtech 17.5T motor which is noticeably faster but is probably equivalent to the last generation of brushed stock motors from the early 2000's. It is plenty of motor. I've had down to an 8.5T motor in it but it's just too much. I personally don't see the point of running a fast motor but with the throttle settings turned way down.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

MetalMilitia
Approved Member

Post by MetalMilitia »

I've been running a 17.5 Novak brushless motor in my re-re. It seems plenty quick, but I would definitely dial out some throttle for the little guy. Definitely the easiest way to slow it down.

ca-rj
Approved Member

Post by ca-rj »

My 3.5 yo has his own RC10CE with a Hobbywing Just Stock Club Spec ($55) and a Trackstar 21.5 ($25). I run it on 2S lipo and it's perfect for him. About this time last year was when driving "clicked" for him and at the time he was running one of my old B4.1's with a RS-540. Slowly I increased the motor on him, ending with an Atomik 21T before I switch his car over to brushless. One thing that I will caution you about with buying too much motor and limiting the throttle on the remote is that boys will be boys and they will figure out how to change it.
RC10 Short Arm | Novak Tempest ESC | Tamiya Torque Tuned 25T | Savox 1258 | Stealth Trans w/ Exotek Slipper Eliminator (geared 24/81)
RC10B3 | HW Just Stock Club Spec | Reedy 13.5 | Savox 1258

woodall01
Approved Member

Post by woodall01 »

Thanks guys, for the information. I plan to start out limiting the motor and NIMH.

woodall01
Approved Member

Post by woodall01 »

NickTheGreek wrote:I hear you.....I don't like anyone driving my rc10's....
I don't wanna drive their car....n I don't want them to drive mine.
If there's damage done, it's gonna be my damage.

My Slash, I'll let anyon drive that. The Rc10s are a different story.....

I have 3 that I ride....and they're all overpowerd....But definitely drivable (and totally fun).
Sometimes traction can get a lil hairy(on dirt) with a 5700kv motor but tires make a HUGE difference.

The only nice thing about the car getting messed up, is that my boss paid for a whole new front end.