Phoenix aluminum rims

The place to go when it doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Lowgear
Administrator

Phoenix aluminum rims

Post by Lowgear »

For the life of me I can't find the topic that was started on this subject.

Nobody seems to know anything about these Phoenix brand rims other than there might be a connection with the company RCL that made the Incident buggy.

Unfortunately I have no idea what they fit other than 4WD buggies. As you can see they come with plastic hex adapters and hex nuts that fit into the adapters. I don't understand the purpose of the hex nuts. I think they go into the hex adapters so that the rims can fit on a larger variety of models. I don't think the hex nuts have slots in them for drive pins so are these rims used for show only I wonder? The absence of an inside tire bead lip makes me think that as well. But if they were for display only they wouldn't need the hex adapters.

These rims must be pretty rare as I have never seen or heard of them until they popped up on eBay. They've all come from the same seller too. So far I've seen them list three sets and I bought two of them. The third set had a Tamiya sticker on front of the box in place of the Kyosho. They were more plain of a style and had a cheaper price on the box. I didn't have the money at the time or I would have bought them as well. Maybe the seller will list another pair since it seems like they have more than I thought.

I took one out of the box to get some measurements with my digital caliper. These measurements probably aren't exact but they should be pretty close.

3.88mm center hole

8mm hex

34.88mm wide or possibly 35.00mm

51.00mm diameter

The boxes have very little English on them and also a price in Yen inked onto them which makes me think that they were only sold in Japan. The price per pair is ¥3,000 or roughly $33.00 which is of course $66.00 for a set.

They have a series of letters on the back that I'm not sure what they mean. On each box that I have RD. is circled.

RA. RB. RC. RD. RE. RF. RG. RH. RI (RI has no dot)
RJ. RK. OA. OB. OC. OD.

Also they are part number of PO2600

Here are the pictures from the listing. They're much better than what I can take is why I'm not posting my own.
Phoenix package.jpg
Phoenix 1.jpg
Phoenix 2.jpg
Phoenix 3.jpg
Phoenix 4.jpg
Phoenix adaptors.jpg

RedScampi
Approved Member

Re: Phoenix aluminum rims

Post by RedScampi »

Those are vaguely reminiscent of Hotshot wheels. The Hotshot uses a triangular mounting hub - maybe that's what the adapters are for?
Gary

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Thats one of the first things I thought of when I got the first pair but don't have a Hotshot to check if they fit.

The space on the rim between the centers of the three mounting holes for the adapter is 17.30mm If someone can measure what a Hotshots is then we'll know for sure.
1730.jpg
1730.jpg (66.77 KiB) Viewed 1494 times
1730.jpg
1730.jpg (66.77 KiB) Viewed 1494 times

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

I'd do it if I was at home. I'm sure someone will come through today though. BTW - If they are for a Hotshot are you going to sell them? :wink:
Gary

transamman908
Approved Member

Post by transamman908 »

Hotshot wheels measure 20mm ctc. I always thought those adaptors were to mount them on a kyosho car with the pressure type hub.
If things seem under control, you are just not going fast enough.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I was going to say something similar: like tomahawk and scorpion. But not only kyosho had this type of friction fit; hirobo as well for example on the hilux etc

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Darn it I thought they would fit the Hotshot/Boomerang just for the fact that they overall looked like they would. :?
Yes, the adapters that mount to those three holes are for Kyosho applications, and the box with the Tamiya sticker on the front come with ones for Tamiya applications. I'm speculating that these rims might mount to other vehicles without using the adapter. I say this because if they only wanted them to fit one brand they would have machined them that way, and not gone through the extra trouble of having to manufacture adapters separately. Plus the fact that some vehicles use this three hole mounting pattern.

The only 4WD Kyosho buggy I currently own is a Shadow and from eyeballing it they seem to be around the same dimensions as the rims on that. I'll have to take one off and see how close it really is.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I just took a rim off my Shadow and the hex is of your standard 12mm variety.

So the million dollar question is what 1/10th scale 4WD buggy (preferably Kyosho) uses an 8mm hex??

I just googled around and found that the 1/16 scale Kyosho Half-8 and Mini Inferno vehicles which are 4WD use an 8mm hex. I can't find anything in regards to any 1/10 scale vehicle using that size. :(

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

After mulling over it I figured out what could be done to fit these on something like a Hotshot for example. Simply buy some 8mm wheel hexes since they will fit inside the adapters, and then if need be you can bore everything out to the size needed to fit them on whatever you want as long as its a pin drive.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I've had these for nearly a year now and two or three sets of them have shown up on eBay in that time. From talking to the sellers or from the descriptions this is what I've found out.

I know rarity doesn't necessarily mean much but they seem to go for a good amount due to that fact.

They are meant for Kyosho 4wd buggies that do not use a drive pin (pressure fit) which seems logical.

If you use CRP #4114 Hotshot adapters it converts them to a 12mm hex. This doesn't seem logical if they don't fit the stock Hotshot hubs as it is. Like was discussed in this thread the holes have a different spacing.

Jerzi
Approved Member

Post by Jerzi »

PB mini mustang and maxima used also that tire fitting.
Jerzi