How'd you get into the Hobby?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

ROH73
Approved Member

Re: How'd you get into the Hobby?

Post by ROH73 »

Two friends of mine, brothers, got Frogs in early 1986. Considering my experience with RC up to that point was my 1980-ish "Firefox" toy RC, it's no surprise that I was impressed with the speed and utter coolness of the Frogs. So, of course I wanted a hobby grade RC car too. I read every review I could find (RC Car Action had just been launched) and decided on a Hornet, which I got for my 13th birthday in June of '86. I hopped up, beat and had a blast with the Hornet all that summer.

Even then RC's were addictive :D , so my second one was a Big Grizzly which I got for Christmas 1986. Next came a Turbo Optima in 1987, a used RC10 and used Bruiser in 1988, a Clodbuster in 1989, one of my friend's Frogs in about 1990 (it had been beaten to a pulp)...well, you get the picture :D .

I got out of the hobby in 1992 and got back into it again in 2006, adding about 20 cars since then.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i had a crush on a girl when i was in 6th grade, and she said she only liked boys with cool r/c cars. she was my cinderella, so i got a midnight pumpkin.

:wink: :mrgreen:

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

That's a sweet story :D .

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

I think I was around 12, so '85ish.(Wow time flies) I went to Hobby Town, before it changed hands and became Traxxas Town, when it was still cool with all the good brands and tons of parts. I remember being with my dad and we must have been in there for hours. I was between the Fox and the RC10. The guy said the Fox was easier to build and maintain so we went with that. I remember the charger with the thermal pad(no longer have), the Futaba stick radio(still have and works), the tamiya battery(melted it via not attaching the previous thermal pad). That guy turned out to be on crack. The Fox was a maintenance pig. 1/2 hour just to get inside it. I remember strapping a .25 engine and prop to it. :roll: I had an RC10 within a year. I also then built and flew a .25 aircraft trainner that had rudder only. Then a few others that I don't remember why and then an Optima Mid that I put the LWB conversion on (still have it and in great condition). Took a break latter in high school and college. I returned a couple years ago dut to my son, 6 at the time, saw some of my old ones an wanted to give it a go. You can imagine my surprise of what Hobby Town turned into while I was not paying any attention all those years. I got him a Duratrax ST due to the low price of an RTR(mistake). We now both use B/T4's with Castle and Futaba gear. :D I also now have 5 planes from a Super Cub to a P51 w/retracts.
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

I got into this hobby because I was an aweful student. My parents put my in private school here in CT and I NEVER did my homework so I was eternally in detention and then forced to take the last/sports bus home. Detention got out at 4 and late bus didn't leave until 5 so I hung out in the library where I found my very first r/c magazine. To this day I don't know what it was because this was in 1985... maybe RCM? I saw the Aristocraft Dolphin in a Sheldon's ad and was instantly in love. I hounded my parents for a car until they broke down an bought me one for my birthday in 86... my Tamiya Hornet. I used to ride the bus in the morning imagining it driving along side on the highway jumping the hills and bridge gaps in the median.