My very first hobby RC

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

TexinMaine

My very first hobby RC

Post by TexinMaine »

I recently bought an old RC 10 Gold Pan at a yard sale. it was pretty beat up so I plan to do a bit of an over haul. I am a paramedic by trade so I thought an EMS theme would be cool. It is currently coated in a pretty thick black paint and has a NASCAR type body. I ordered an RC 10 buggy body and few spare parts I needed, one being a steering knuckle I broke on a very small jump onto a grassy area so I think I need to over haul the shocks as well. I will update my progress as I go and welcome any comments or helpful suggestions. Tex

TexinMaine

Re: My very first hobby RC

Post by TexinMaine »

Here are some of the parts and body I ordered. They arrived before I got around to posting about my project but I didnt want to load a bunch of pics on one page. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. I plan a red, white and blue color scheme so after I get the black paint off the frame I will paint it and the nose bars red, dye all the white parts blue and the body will be mostly white with some decals, I plan to call it Tachycardia and that will be on the wing with a tachycardic rhythm on each side of the body.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

looks good, my opinion would be to strip it all down, scrub it up, get that black paint off of everything, and rebuild it nice and clean. Those shocks you have, the blue ones, are they b4 shocks? If so, the rears will be slightly short(not a problem) and the front will be slightly long. For that, you can either run a taller tower, or add some spacers inside the shock body to get them to ride OK. The shock bodies will still be slightly long, which means the suspension will bottom out sooner, but that may not be a problem for you. If they are T4 shocks, they will be way too long all around and probably cause you issues. The factory shocks would be .56" fronts and 1.32" rears, which can be found on ebay and such.

I would also upgrade to bearings, replace or add as necessary. avidrc.com has them for a buck each. depending on where you run it, you might want to update to 2.2" wheels and tires, for the ease of use and available selection.

through all of this, be sure to reference the manuals at rc10.com under the discontinued models, it's good to look through the many version of rc10 to see how the chassis progressed and newer parts that might be available.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

Continuing on the blue shocks, those appear (to me) to be truck shocks, rears may be okay, but fronts wont work at all.

Looks like the start of a very cool project. Post as many pics as you want, we like pictures.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

I cant wait to see that pan free of paint. The rest of it reminded me of my first RC10 back in the day. Looking forward to seeing the progression!

Winger
Approved Member

Post by Winger »

Looked cool with that Nascar body. Carb and choke cleaner did a heck of a job when I stripped my chassis this last weekend and did not mess up the anodized aluminum.

TexinMaine

Post by TexinMaine »

JK got it right, they are T4 shocks. I mostly got them because of the color and they looked about the same. They both appear to be longer than the originals. My decals arrived today, tried them in a couple places, think I will just stick with the one decal on the hood closer to the windshield. I may change my mind once it is painted.

TexinMaine

Post by TexinMaine »

So I was get stuff ready to clean, peroxide and dye. I noticed when taking the tranny apart that around the hub there bearings how ever when I looked at the RC 10 manual it showed that just some felt with a retaining clip should have been there. So was this some sort of aftermarket thing? It certainly appears as if it would add more stability to the hub instead of felt and a plastic clip.

PTModIT
Approved Member

Post by PTModIT »

The original 6 gear tranny had no bearings in that spot.There would be a felt ring with a retainer clip.Not aftermarket.Just as it shows in the manual.That bearing in the pic should have a dust cover enclosing the ball bearings. Bearings can be cleaned but without the cover,replace the bearing.I can't make out the middle of the bearing ,Is the outdrive broke?

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

i think the out drive is still in place with the other side of the trans and the top part of the case is pulled out and rotated.

TexinMaine

Post by TexinMaine »

If you are referring to the slotted part where the axle (dogbone) slides into then it was not broken. That was as far as I could get the bearing to slide up to and was going to post and ask if anyone had an idea how to get it off, however after that I took a blunted punch and with a few taps was able to get the bearing off. I think the area where you are talking covering with the tape is over the end of the differential shaft.

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

Yup, tape over the top shaft and there is supposed to be a felt ring the goes over the outside of the bearing.

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

Looks like one heck of a project for your first car. But hey, if you're going to do it, why not jump in with both feet, right?

A little more info on your shocks... the yellow and red ones you pictured are nowhere close to original RC10 shocks. The yellow ones are Tamiya (probably from a Monster Beetle or a Boomerang) and the red ones are either Kyosho or Marui. Your blue ones are much better shocks than either of them. I think the blue rears will work fine, but you'll have to put some spacers inside the fronts to shorten them. And you'll probably want softer springs on the front too.

TexinMaine

Post by TexinMaine »

So I have been looking at motor and esc combinations until I have gone cross eyed. I am not great with electronics so I am have difficulty figuring out Turns, Kv, Amps, brushed, brushless and so on. So I figured I would just ask what combinations most of you folks are running in your buggy's. I most plan on bombing around the yard, there is a small track near by I may try going to also. So if you could suggest a motor, esc and battery combo that would be great. By the way I have a Spektrum transmitter and a Sr300 receiver. Thanks!

Tex

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

People seem to really like the EZ RUN brushless systems. They're cheap too. Someone can probably provide a good link. I'm not real familiar with those particular systems or I would.
EDIT: Here's an example, but someone may have a better price they can link.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Brushless-Motor-3in1-Combo-9T-60A-V2-0-ESC-Hobbywing-Ezrun-Series-CAR-BUGGY-/260962790892?pt=US_Character_Radio_Control_Toys&hash=item3cc2982dec
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken