Speed Passion Sport-Tuned Motors

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Speed Passion Sport-Tuned Motors

Post by Coelacanth »

What do you guys think of the Speed Passion Sport-Tuned V2.0 motors, for a 4WD on-road application? I'm watching a few on eBay. They're both 540-sized, but the specs on their website show they're only rated for 6 NiMH cells. Have any of you tried running 8.4V through one of these? If that would totally fry it, I might have to go with something a step up but the price difference is a good $40 - $50 more.

-3000 kV, 13.5T - #SPST30V2

-2500 kV, 17.5T - #SPST25V2

Thanks for any info.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Speed Passion Sport-Tuned Motors

Post by Coelacanth »

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller...?

For me, the sticking point is the motors' rated 6-cell max. I assume it's mainly a heat issue, as long as the motor was geared properly and not overheating, 7 cells shouldn't be a problem, I don't expect that the motor would just up and fry when connecting an 8.4V battery to it. It'll be on-road so decidedly less strain on the motor than if I was running offroad or bashing it in the grass...
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

No answer over at RCtech.net either. Is it against some law to discuss Speed Passion online or something? :?

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Well, since nobody seems to know about Speed Passion Sport-Tuned motors, here's info from a very helpful gentleman over at RCTech.net that I took the intiative to PM, he works for them. In case anybody else tries doing a search for Speed Passion on this forum, here's the info.

[quote]"I think you can even try 13.5....brushless motor (especially ours) can take 8.4V nimh without any problem. So you can go ahead to do so....cause most lipo (2 cells) are rated 8.44 V already...you are good to go.

The motor can definitely take the VOLTAGE, however, your gearing, if gear it wrong, it will fry the motor first....that, you have to test it and temp your motor after like 1-2 minutes of runtime. Make sure you are not over geared or under geared.

Another thing...make sure your CASTLE ESC can take other brand's motor like ours...that you have to contact CASTLE and find out. I am 99% sure our motor will work on your ESC.

We have a special SP motor connector that is designed by us...however, in most of our RACING situation, we don't use the plugs. Our package does not include the plugs so you can use the DEANS, or try ours...or...solder the wire directly from the ESC to the motor without plugs for full 100% no resistant power...(thats what I will do).

Our V2 is the best CLUB LEVEL choice of motor...low cost and long lasting, you won't regret that."[/i]