Yet ANOTHER RC10T brought back to life!

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Maxray

Yet ANOTHER RC10T brought back to life!

Post by Maxray »

This seems to be a trend around here! Resurrection threads!

Here's mine - just found it in the basement recently and decided to make it run again - I bought it new in about 1995/1996 timeframe. Went out and bought a few 5000mah NiMh's and a new charger and apart from shredding a rear wheel bearing, it has been running pretty good. The slipper is slipping a bit too much, even when torqued down, so I may need to deal with that Took it to the local outdoor track today, it ran well against a new Slash 4x4.

1995/1996 RC10T Sport - MIP CVDs, Lunsford titanium turnbuckles, 17T single Trinity Sapphire motor, Novak 610HRV ESC, 87/18 gearing, RPM gear cover, Proline rears/Losi fronts, bearings all around. My plans? Go through and clean/replace some of the worn parts, the suspension arms aren't long for this world, so in go some RPMs. Go through the tranny and diff, add a B4 top gear and slipper setup. The plan is to have something to run and bash with - I am thinking about adding a Castle Sidewinder brushless setup (or something like it...Velineon maybe?) with some lipos. Plus, going 2.4ghz with the Futaba 3PL. Local hobby shop has this stuff for very competitive prices. Have learned a lot thanks to this forum!

Here are a couple of pics:

Still have the original box!

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: Yet ANOTHER RC10T brought back to life!

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Might be glazed slipper pads, take them out and rub the flat on some 400 grit paper. Or it might actually be the diff needing a rebuild.

Maxray

Post by Maxray »

Thanks - I tore apart the trans this afternoon, the diff did feel a bit gritty (seemed tight, too.) Thoroughly cleaned the diff parts, the washers are a little scored and on the diff gear ball cup areas - there seemed to be either some deformation of a couple of the openings, and/or extra flashing still in there (perhaps when I built it I wasnt aggressive enough removing the flashing...see below) So do I replace everything except the balls and the hubs? Anything else I can/should do to increase longevity or strength while I am in here, besides the normal assembly process? I am planning on doing the B4 slipper at the same time. Also - the slipper clutch was indeed glazed - very smooth to the touch and I could see glazing on there. It sure sounded like it was slipping a lot while I was out at the track today - I guess that explains it!

Also - one of the screw holes for the tranny case to chassis seems to be stripped a bit - anything I can do to remedy this? Seems like trans cases (besides the RPM) are hard to come by?

Maxray

Post by Maxray »

Time to get busy!

I had a shock rebuild kit lying around so I decided to get that done too. I noticed one of the lower mounts (connected to the shock shaft) is bent. Is there any interchangeability between the shocks to the more modern stuff? This may not end up being the prettiest RC10T in the world, but when I am done, it should be solid mechanically!