Ultima Rebuild

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

transamman908
Approved Member

Ultima Rebuild

Post by transamman908 »

This build started with a dirty but never completed Ultima I stole off ebay about 3 years ago. It was one of those "This is from a estate sale and I have no idea what this is" kind of things, along with a poor title and wrong catagory(gotta love those!) Anyway, along the way I wasn't sure about keeping it or what and started pulling it apart here and there, selling the original red, mint shocks at some point like an ass because I needed extra cabbage for bills :x but managed to hang on to the rest of it. I recently pulled it off the pile of projects and sat down with it and this is where I'm at with it so far.
I went with some original hop ups and wanted to mantain it's stock look. The transmission got a full overhaul using a thorp final pinion, option house ball diff and a thorp overdrive kit(kept the o.h. special center gear thats in the pic). The sway bars, motor guard and chassis really are cool options kyosho offered bitd. I'm waiting on a original speed control, paint the body and searching for a original wing( trying to avoid a repo). Help!! :?
I do have one ? about the radio plate. I replaced the original one on this with another one I had that was nip. It had the same UM part # but the design is different. The one that I have on it now, is it a later/newer version or was this used on another version of a Ultima? Also, being it's missing the tabs for the MSC will it still accept a MSC or do the gold lugs just hold it in place.
Attachments
002 - Copy (14).JPG
001 - Copy (16).JPG
003 - Copy (12).JPG
010 - Copy (2).JPG
008.JPG
006.JPG
005.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
If things seem under control, you are just not going fast enough.

GJW
Approved Member

Re: Ultima Rebuild

Post by GJW »

looking very good so far, have a hard time finding part's? :)

Momo5
Approved Member

Post by Momo5 »

Yeah, looking good! I have an original Ultima that I'm working on too. I still cant decide if I want to run the stock tranny, maybe buy an A&L, or fabricate a stealth tranny to it like another member on here did.

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

Turned out beautiful :wink:
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Fantastic! Still love the Ultimas. It's good to see other's enjoying them too.

cooltoys
Approved Member

Post by cooltoys »

Nice Ultima.. I need one of those cages for my ultima build... :D
I'm sure that will turn out really great!! :D :D
Rc10 newbie...
Turbo ultima
Turbo optima project
Srb projects

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Post by Mad Racer »

The original Ultima came with a front sway bar.

The front bar you have is from the turbo version. Or was a option part to mount the bar in a different location. The original bar was used with the non adj camber links. the bar ran back into the top chassis plate and out again. Have a look at the top camber link and you should see a little hole for the bar to slide into.

I never knew the Ultima came standard with a front sway bar. It was optional to install it in the back of the manual but was included .

In this pic you can see the front bar.

Maybe this is why there was a different top deck other from the GRP version that the Turbo came with.

Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

transamman908 wrote:I do have one ? about the radio plate. I replaced the original one on this with another one I had that was nip. It had the same UM part # but the design is different. The one that I have on it now, is it a later/newer version or was this used on another version of a Ultima?
The one that's on the car in the pic above, 008.jpg, labeled "Kyosho Corporation", looks to be beefier at the front where it narrows into a triangular shape. The spare plate below it doesn't look as beefy. Maybe the better one is from a Turbo Ultima? I know that with the Turbo Optima, most of the aluminum shock towers were pretty thin and very easily bent. Later, shock towers were made that were significantly thicker. I believe the part numbers were the same, but the shock towers were identical in every other way except thickness.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Coelacanth wrote:
transamman908 wrote:I do have one ? about the radio plate. I replaced the original one on this with another one I had that was nip. It had the same UM part # but the design is different. The one that I have on it now, is it a later/newer version or was this used on another version of a Ultima?
The one that's on the car in the pic above, 008.jpg, labeled "Kyosho Corporation", looks to be beefier at the front where it narrows into a triangular shape. The spare plate below it doesn't look as beefy. Maybe the better one is from a Turbo Ultima? I know that with the Turbo Optima, most of the aluminum shock towers were pretty thin and very easily bent. Later, shock towers were made that were significantly thicker. I believe the part numbers were the same, but the shock towers were identical in every other way except thickness.
I´ve just checked my Sideways Ultima and it has the same radioplate as Yours have now. The one with the slightly enforced edges.
Gone fishing

jackultima
Approved Member

Post by jackultima »

:D looking very good
Hi! Friends! English is not my mother tongue,in spite of my poor English,but I really want to share of my vintage RC buggy!!!

transamman908
Approved Member

Post by transamman908 »

Thanks for the comments and help with the radio plate id. I'm currently awaiting a wing and have installed the original msc and Pulsar radio. Pics to come. Would like to find a original box to go with this.
If things seem under control, you are just not going fast enough.